What do you do?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What do you do?

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Willem wrote:I'm a manager.

I don't really know what that is either.

I know what you mean, 'cos I was one on and off - I eventually defined it as someone who talks to other people about what some other (less well paid) people have to do and how to give them even more things to do without being paid any more. :?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Del » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 pm

AuntyVague wrote:
wicked woman wrote:Apparently Americans are up in arms about English english creeping in to their language. But I've noticed I've started using Australian, especially 'no worries'. It's all Dels fault! :lol:

I'm not sure I can blame Del, but for some bizzare reason I've fallen into saying 'No worries!' quite a bit at work. I probably shouldn't be bothered by being an Australian talking like an Australian, but I feel like such an ocker :roll:

Bouncy wrote:Quite frankly, I blame Del for most things.

Oi ! :evil:

ohhhhhhhhhhh what the hell ! Everyone else does! :roll:

Aunty I know exactly where you are coming from ! I used to hate listening to Steve Irwin and thinking, "NOONE says Crikey!" Or havent in about 50 years... then I started listening... and yes! They do... and so do I :o

When I was in London many many years ago I was so embarrassed that so many Australians suddenly developed a very broad Aussie accent. :oops:

At the time I was working in a position that required me to mix and speak with everyone from welders to CEO's of the biggest companies on the the face of the earth and I spoke "properly" ... didnt feel the need to ocker it up or down.. it was just me... and the past few years was worried that I had somehow dropped my standards or something.

THEN I realised I was speaking more often on the net... with uplanders and such. ;) and found I was subconsciously changing my language to "American-ese" or UK-ish so I wouldnt have to explain what I was saying all the time.

"A doona is a bed covering somewhat like your douvet or eiderdown"
"Yes yes we DO say loo to mean toilet"
"You silly bugger was meant as an affectionate term. Please put the gun down and move away"

You may be suprised when you really really really get down to tin tacks how much slang we use in everyday life.

To check myself I went on a few of those "How to speak Aussie" sites and was at first a bit embarrassed with the content of them.... "Yeah how to speak Aussie if you are being an irritating ponce to tourists perhaps" but when I looked at more of them, I would stop and think "WHY is that one in there? Thats NOT slang! Its just normal speech"

I realised it more and more when I read some of the aussies talking in here... the ones who dont change their speech patterns to suit the forum AS much. It felt like "coming home" in a very very subtle way that I couldnt put my finger on. I even tried reading posts of "new" members without seeing if they were from here and could pick them. And they are articulate and educated people who express themselves beautifully on here. (we do tend to be rather "to the point" I will say that)

We have a language. We arent all Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin by a long stretch. (or even god forbid Kerry Packer!)

You have never sounded like an "ocker" to me. So just relax and talk away as you do.

No worries! ;)
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Bickaxe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 pm

I didn't understand a word of that, can you say it again in English?
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby wicked woman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:16 pm

"That's not slang, that's just normal speech.

Del, you are so right. I am also picking up some strange words from my daughter. Who is picking tham up from her kids...whatever...
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby AuntyVague » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:27 am

Del wrote:Aunty I know exactly where you are coming from ! I used to hate listening to Steve Irwin and thinking, "NOONE says Crikey!" Or havent in about 50 years... then I started listening... and yes! They do... and so do I :o

When I was in London many many years ago I was so embarrassed that so many Australians suddenly developed a very broad Aussie accent. :oops:

We noticed the Steve Irwin Effect most when getting back to Australia from overseas. Suddenly everyone sounded like Steve Irwin! Also, having gone through different customs check points on our travels that were attended by very serious people in very serious uniforms (and some with very serious guns) we arrived back in Melbourne to find the customs officer (dressed in stubbies) leaning casually against the desk. When we started explaining earnestly that we had some things to declare in our luggage we were met with "She'll be right mate, no worries!" and a casual wave of the hand to let us through. Then we knew we were home :D
AuntyVague

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:16 am

Went to Bali as part of a group 11 years ago. The courior took all our passports off and came back with them stamped for entry. Don't think they would be that casual now, I hope. :roll:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Will of Lancre » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:43 am

"You silly bugger was meant as an affectionate term. Please put the gun down and move away"

:lol:

Actually I would quite like to go to Australia, but I don't think I could take the Strine...

I'll get my coat. And my hat, the one with the corks dangling round it... :oops:
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby jaznbonnie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Del wrote:You may be suprised when you really really really get down to tin tacks how much slang we use in everyday life.

Gee, and I've spent the last 50 years thinking they were made of brass. :roll: ;)
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby AgnesOgg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm a pharmacist, okay but a bit boring at times....it is'nt easy to muster the excitement for contraceptives twenty times a day :roll:

But I wonder, how long are your working day/week? I have on average 39 hours a week.
no, it`s a hippopotamus!
AgnesOgg

Postby chillicamper » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:49 am

Pharmasists are brill - not boring. :D Our local pharmasist always helps out with my son's prescriptions. We often get suppliers saying things are on back order and the pharmasist has to chase around to see if anyone else is holding the right stock in the area so he can complete the order. They are always very helpful - more than the doctors in many ways.

AgnesOgg wrote:But I wonder, how long are your working day/week? I have on average 39 hours a week.

I'm contracted to do 37.5 hours a week, but a few extra minutes/hours usually creep in from somewhere :roll:

About 7 years ago a worked handling travel claims - I ended up doing 7am-6pm most days and ate luch at my desk with no proper lunch hour. I lasted 5 years there, but it almost killed me! There is more to life than work!
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:57 am

nothing wrong with pharmacists, my local one keeps me alive and semi pain free :D :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Margi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 pm

I've had great service from pharmacists over the years until one mistake yesterday. I'm not complaining because mistakes happen, but it's a good job that I found it out before I opened the door to go out of the shop, because once you've gone out the pharmacy isn't allowed to use anything that comes back in. Even if it's still in its unopened bag that they just packed it in. And our government wonders how they could save some money! :shock: Allowing pharmacists to use their common sense could be a good start.

Anyway, the mistake: I checked the packets in the bag and found an unfamiliar one. When I opened the box to see if they'd given me a generic pill instead of the usual branded one, which would have been fine, I found a completely different medication had been packed! :shock: The pharmacist was shocked too. From what she said, someone was going to get a right royal blowing up when she found out who had made that mistake. I know that 'mistakes happen' as I said, but there are different levels and that one was just too different. Could have been dangerous if someone of very little brain had been the recipient and had taken them anyway.
Margi

Postby Catch-up » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:11 pm

If someone isn't frustrated by having to explain themselves, I think it's fun to hear all the differences between U.S./UK/Aussie English and what they mean. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Alanz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:31 pm

I am a Security Guard for a Storage Centre that supplies 2 Gas Rigs in the North sea, I've been in security for 21 years since leaving the Royal Navy having served for 23 years,It's a Job and you'll always need Security, that's my way of thinking anyway. :D :D
Alanz

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum