Frustration Thread 3

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 3

Postby pip » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Sure its all witch doctoring at the end of the day :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Penfold » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Dotsie wrote:Once I start ranting I won't be able to stop! I can feel it coming on...aargh! Evidence-based medicine!

Maybe Dara O'Briain's rant on evidence based medicine will help. :D

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby wicked woman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Good to hear! Is there a whooping cough vaccination programme in the US, BTW? We have one, but some parents aren't taking it up.

Selkie wrote:Whooping cough is horrible :( My daughter wasn't allowed the vaccination due to some complications at birth - although I was happy for her to have it, the doctor felt that "if it was his child he wouldn't do it" - and then got whooping cough when she was about 3. It's very distressing. Hope the Things are vaccinated!

Yes, the girls have been vaccinated for it, thank goodness! There is a bizarre anti-vaccination trend over here too. It's my understanding that if a certain % of the population isn't vaccinated for something, it overrides the protection that the vaccinated ones are supposed to have. People are weird and ignorant! They actually want their kids to get these diseases, rationalizing that it improves their immune system. Like you said Selkie, they're horrible. That's why there are vaccinations for them. :roll: Our doctor said these are people who have never lived through an epidemic or even seen a child with one of these diseases. They have no idea how sick it will make their children and that they even risk death.

That is so true. So called intelligent, well informed people too. Makes my blood boil, they are risking everyone's health. I got Chicken pox at the age of 40 because some stupid parent thought it was not serious enough to warrant quarantine, and once you've had it you won't catch it again. Wrong! Once you've had it it flares up as Shingles if you get run down!
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:55 am

:evil: Bloody Virgin Media!

I am sick to death of getting enormous envelopes full of glossy adverts telling me that their service is wonderful and my life won't be complete without it. So, as these things normally go straight in the recycle bin, and as the waste of paper is really annoying I thought I'd try and track down a contact number to get myself taken off their mailing list.

In the past I have tried ringing the contact number on the leaflets, but that's a waste of time because you just get put through to a sales person who isn't the slightest bit interested in anything other than selling. This time I went to their website and the "Contact us" section. After going through several screens all that ask what your account number is or what your Virgin telephone number is, I got nowhere.

So I found a customer services phone number and called that. You have to either key in your account number or your phone number - neither of which I have.

Eventually, I got through to a (I think) real person, who after I explained my situation and told her that I didn't have a Virgin account, promptly asked me what my account number and telephone number were. :roll:

Eventually she seemed to understand what I was trying to do and then put me on hold twice, accompanied by extremely loud pop/techno music that was so loud and annoying I had to move the phone away from my ear. After two whole records had played she finally came back and said that she's managed to get me off the mailing list.

Why am I so dubious? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:07 am

Why don't you sent it back in their prepaid envelope and stuff other leaflets in as well from other companies. :twisted:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:17 am

Thats how we deal with religious pamphlet people. we collect other ones and hand them to anyone who knocks at the door trying to convert me saying i'll read theres if they read ours . :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby michelanCello » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am

pip wrote:Thats how we deal with religious pamphlet people. we collect other ones and hand them to anyone who knocks at the door trying to convert me saying i'll read theres if they read ours . :D

:lol:

Let's hope they did fix it, Tony!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby pip » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:01 am

michelanCello wrote:
pip wrote:Thats how we deal with religious pamphlet people. we collect other ones and hand them to anyone who knocks at the door trying to convert me saying i'll read theres if they read ours . :D

:lol:

Let's hope they did fix it, Tony!

Turns out Jehovah Witnesses hate scientologists :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 am

Who doesn't? ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:55 am

True enough :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:53 pm

I always send the stuff back in their envelopes as well, usually adding any pizza delivery or other junk to bulk it up a bit. They may as well pay as much to get their stuff back as possible.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Buggers didn't include a prepaid envelope. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Then send it back in an un-stamped envelope. They'll then have to pay the postage, plus a fine, if they want to get it.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:29 pm

OMG Penfold! :lol: :lol: :lol: That was fabulous!! I was doubled over laughing. I'm going to have to find more of his shows.

Dotsie, I'm with you. It's hard not to rant.

Love the ideas of swapping religious pamphlets and sending back junk mail! :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Del » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:08 pm

My brothers funeral was last week.

I was so worried about the car making it up the range.

Needn't have worried. :roll:

I arranged for my oldest daughter to look after the girls at her place on the day of the funeral. It would have meant driving over to the other side of the city, leaving here at 4am, then training it back to the city to catch a bus at 6:30am up the range, where my oldest brother would pick me up and take me to the funeral.

The night before I discovered............... headlice! Yay! Oh Yay! :dance: :clap:

It was 10pm and I couldnt find anywhere open to sell treatment and there was NO way I could take them over to the daughters with that as she has waist length hair... AND no way I could treat myself before the funeral and CERTAINLY not go untreated to a funeral with loads of close hugs and embraces.

One of lifes little crappy creatures and just a fact of life.... but what timing huh?

Bugger! to say the least!

Its okay. S#%T happens hey! :evil:

I am okay with it.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum