Which novels work as stand alone novels?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Which novels work as stand alone novels?

Postby SwordfishTrombone » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Just curious because I'm working my way through Discworld in the order they were published, but have read that The Truth, Thief of Time and Monstrous Regiment can be read out of order.

What are the opinions of those who have read the lot?

Would I have to read all the Death novels before Thief of Time?
SwordfishTrombone

Re: Which novels work as stand alone novels?

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm

The Truth and Monstrous Regiment I would say are stand alone novels as such, but it would be better to have read the Truth first before Monstrous Regiment as there is a reference to Deworde in it, Thief of Time has Susan and Death in it quite a bit so best to have read what books Susan was in for a bit of background info, but these are just my thoughts others opinion may differ.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:38 pm

The consensus from this thread seems to be that the books can be read in pretty much any order. I can't comment on that as I have read all the books in order and can't imagine going through the series in a random order.

For stand alone books I would have to say Pyramids, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment stand out in my mind, with Amazing Maurice being included as well.

I think though, it's safe to say that, once you have worked out how things work on the Discworld, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Thief of Time was the first DW book I read (it was the only one available at my library).

Even though I wasn't familiar with the Death series, I was totally hooked on it and it's till in my top 5 DW books, since it really does stand on its own.

The other books that I'd say also could be easily read and fully appreciated without having read earlier books are Pyramids, Small Gods, Equal Rites, Mort, Moving Pictures and possibly Monstrous Regiment, although you'll miss a lot by not knowing the back story of the very famous Ankh Morpork figures who have cameos in that story.

The Truth could be read on its own, but it's a far more enriching experience if you've already read the previous Watch books.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 pm

On second thoughts, you're right about Monstrous Regiment and The Truth, Jeff. In The Truth we actually get to see Sam Vimes and the Watch from another point of view, which I always loved about that book. And knowing about William, Otto and the Watch is certainly a bonus with Monstrous Regiment I think. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Teppic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Thief of Time I'd definitely consider the last of the Death/Susan series, not a standalone.
Teppic

Postby Alanz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 pm

I am not reading my books in order :naughty: well i will as soon as i get a few, :clap: I've read Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith and I shall Wear Midnight in order, So what i think i will do is when i get a set is read them in order again. :D
Alanz

Postby Penfold » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Alanz wrote:I am not reading my books in order :naughty: well i will as soon as i get a few, :clap: I've read Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith and I shall Wear Midnight in order, So what i think i will do is when i get a set is read them in order again. :D

I've found the books always worth at least a second reading since I always tend to miss several jokes, meanings, and messages the first time around (and often the second, third, fourth, fifth............, if the truth be told). He certainly seems to be able to write 'multi-layered' stories where I can discover something different each time. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Alanz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:08 am

Penfold wrote:
Alanz wrote:I am not reading my books in order :naughty: well i will as soon as i get a few, :clap: I've read Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith and I shall Wear Midnight in order, So what i think i will do is when i get a set is read them in order again. :D

I've found the books always worth at least a second reading since I always tend to miss several jokes, meanings, and messages the first time around (and often the second, third, fourth, fifth............, if the truth be told). He certainly seems to be able to write 'multi-layered' stories where I can discover something different each time. :D

My thinking exactly :D
Alanz

Postby octarinefire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 pm

I would say that Wyrd Sisters, Mort, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents and Equal Rites all work well as stand alones.
octarinefire

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm

I will add Eric and Sourcery to that list as well as good stand alone ones.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 am

Yeah, Eric is a good example, as is Pyramids.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Alanz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:39 am

Just ordered Eric and Pyramids from E-bay. :D
Alanz

Postby raisindot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Alanz wrote:Just ordered Eric and Pyramids from E-bay. :D

Hope you didn't pay too much. :D
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:46 pm

:lol: Don't listen to him!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to Discworld novels