Frustration Thread 3

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 3

Postby wicked woman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Dotsie wrote:That's a shame :( I'm a big fan of distance learning, from both sides, and I wouldn't have my job now without it. And I wasn't exactly young when I got it, so try not to worry about that! ;)

You make yourself sound ancient. You're still just a slip of a girl.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby michelanCello » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Sorry to hear that, Aunty... but I guess you have to know for yourself what you want to put effort in and when to stop! I'd certainly find it hard to do distance learning.. :shock:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:33 am

wicked woman wrote:
Dotsie wrote:That's a shame :( I'm a big fan of distance learning, from both sides, and I wouldn't have my job now without it. And I wasn't exactly young when I got it, so try not to worry about that! ;)

You make yourself sound ancient. You're still just a slip of a girl.

Bless you! No, I'm not ancient, but definitely at an age where people expect you to have a proper career. Now I finally have a permanent contract, how dull!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Selkie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:58 am

Not dull at all! I would call it a win :)

Today is my second day of spaegie! We hijacked my brother in law's crosstrainer with the idea of getting a bit fitter over the winter. I was perhaps a bit too enthusiastic on my first go. My legs are discovering muscles they never knew they had - and they are fighting back! :(
Selkie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:32 am

You don't want an exercise bike, do you?

Never been used!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 am

Most common ad in newspapers Bouncy :lol:

Think i'm finally finished the auditor crap. Time to send it up the line and hide :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby AuntyVague » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 am

It is a shame and a bit frustrating, but at least I haven't been put off the idea of studying distance ed altogether. If anything I've been able to prove to myself that I can just get on with it with limited support, so that's a plus. I'll push on and finish this year's units and hope they count towards something in the new course!

If it's not too nosey Dotsie, did your course have on-line tutorials or other ways of discussing things in real time?

michelanCello wrote:
Sorry to hear that, Aunty... but I guess you have to know for yourself what you want to put effort in and when to stop! I'd certainly find it hard to do distance learning.. :shock:

Thanks mC :) But the combination of the course I want to do and where I live makes distance learning about my only option! If I put my frustrations aside with my current choice of provider, I have actually enjoyed the ability to study at my own pace, so now that I've calmed down and I've got a plan I feel much better!
AuntyVague

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:44 am

AuntyVague wrote:If it's not too nosey Dotsie, did your course have on-line tutorials or other ways of discussing things in real time?

I've done real-time tutorials (both typing and headset/microphone), message boards, and skype. Skype is the worst, it sticks and freezes, then goes altogether, and you spend most of your time saying, "Sorry, I lost you there! No, you're breaking up! Let's just email :roll: ".
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Dotsie wrote:Good to hear! Is there a whooping cough vaccination programme in the US, BTW? We have one, but some parents aren't taking it up.

Selkie wrote:Whooping cough is horrible :( My daughter wasn't allowed the vaccination due to some complications at birth - although I was happy for her to have it, the doctor felt that "if it was his child he wouldn't do it" - and then got whooping cough when she was about 3. It's very distressing. Hope the Things are vaccinated!

Yes, the girls have been vaccinated for it, thank goodness! There is a bizarre anti-vaccination trend over here too. It's my understanding that if a certain % of the population isn't vaccinated for something, it overrides the protection that the vaccinated ones are supposed to have. People are weird and ignorant! They actually want their kids to get these diseases, rationalizing that it improves their immune system. Like you said Selkie, they're horrible. That's why there are vaccinations for them. :roll: Our doctor said these are people who have never lived through an epidemic or even seen a child with one of these diseases. They have no idea how sick it will make their children and that they even risk death.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 pm

pip wrote:Think i'm finally finished the auditor crap. Time to send it up the line and hide :D

What kinds of grey hooded robes are in style with them this year? :D
raisindot

Postby pip » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Shimmery grey :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Good to hear! Is there a whooping cough vaccination programme in the US, BTW? We have one, but some parents aren't taking it up.

Selkie wrote:Whooping cough is horrible :( My daughter wasn't allowed the vaccination due to some complications at birth - although I was happy for her to have it, the doctor felt that "if it was his child he wouldn't do it" - and then got whooping cough when she was about 3. It's very distressing. Hope the Things are vaccinated!

Yes, the girls have been vaccinated for it, thank goodness! There is a bizarre anti-vaccination trend over here too. It's my understanding that if a certain % of the population isn't vaccinated for something, it overrides the protection that the vaccinated ones are supposed to have. People are weird and ignorant! They actually want their kids to get these diseases, rationalizing that it improves their immune system. Like you said Selkie, they're horrible. That's why there are vaccinations for them. :roll: Our doctor said these are people who have never lived through an epidemic or even seen a child with one of these diseases. They have no idea how sick it will make their children and that they even risk death.

It was quite common when I was a child to see older children (who vaccines hadn't been available for) with leg calipers from polio or deaf or blind from measles. I guess people would think twice if they realised how dangerous these illnesses can be.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:54 pm

I'm afraid to even start on this subject! :shock:
Dotsie

Postby pip » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Sure what would you know ;)
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Once I start ranting I won't be able to stop! I can feel it coming on...aargh! Evidence-based medicine!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum