Hogswatch in Wincanton

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Hogswatch in Wincanton

Postby ChrisnCos » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi

Just wondered if anyone is driving from Birmingham to Wincanton for Hogswatch and has space for 2 more??? Alternatively can a local tell us which main line station to aim for to get local buses etc...so far thinking Taunton???
ChrisnCos

Re: Hogswatch in Wincanton

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi there and welcome! :D

You might find this thread on the Cunning Artificer's site useful. They have a whole section dedicated to Wincanton events there. Good luck. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Wincanton is a bugger to get to by public transport, Your best bet is the train from New Street to Bristol Temple Meads and then another train from there to Castle Cary. There is a bus from there to Wincanton but frankly it's really slow and you are best getting a taxi from the station to Wincanton which costs about £10.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Leia Tortoise » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 am

From London there's a regular bus, look at Berry's Coaches
(though it probably won't be the easier way from Birmingham)
French fans community - english welcome - (news, activities, etc) : Le Vade-mecum!
Leia Tortoise

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:47 am

This thread seems suitable.....

I'm going :D

Travelodge in Wincanton will be open and if you pay now its £58 for a double room for 2 nights (You'll pay that for just one night in town and its only a 15 minute walk into town along the main road.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:30 pm

And a 30mins stagger back. Image :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Margi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 pm

ChrisnCos wrote:Hi

Just wondered if anyone is driving from Birmingham to Wincanton for Hogswatch and has space for 2 more??? Alternatively can a local tell us which main line station to aim for to get local buses etc...so far thinking Taunton???

Castle Cary (make sure it's Somerset not Scotland, apparently there is one up there!) or Templecombe railway stations. From Birmingham go to Bristol Temple Meads and change and you'll get to Castle Cary. Templecombe is not so easy to get to from Birmingham. Castle Cary is about 6 miles from Wincanton but buses are few and far between. The easiest way to get here direct I should think is to get to London, go to Hammersmith and take Berry's bus. They go straight to Wincanton in 2hrs 5mins twice a day every day. Berry's fare is £25 return, don't know about the train. Book your seat on 01823 322347, pay when you board. You can find out more here: http://www.berryscoaches.co.uk/

Just a couple of options there. Look forward to seeing you.
Margi

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:56 pm

There's a whole bunch of info about what goes on in Wincanton at Hogswatch on the Cunning Artificer's site. Here's a link that'll take you to the part of their forum that deals with Wincanton events. :D

If any of you can possibly make it, and have somewhere to stay, I'd highly recommend it. It's a great place to meet like-minded Pratchett fans. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Margi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Bickaxe wrote:This thread seems suitable.....

I'm going :D

Travelodge in Wincanton will be open and if you pay now its £58 for a double room for 2 nights (You'll pay that for just one night in town and its only a 15 minute walk into town along the main road.

Please don't abandon the pubs/hotels in town. :( I hope the Travelodge only picks up the overflow because it would be awful if everyone went there and left the local, independent guys empty. (It only opened a few weeks ago, in case you were wondering...)

Just thought I'd better stick up for the home team.
Margi

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Margi regarding the one in Scotland, the spelling is slightly different all one word Castlecary is near Cumbernald and it's probably about the same size as the Somerset one.

The lack of available accomodation has in the past stopped me from attending even when I was living in London, so the T.L. will be a welcome addition and should swell the numbers among people wanting to attend, as someone who does not have their own transport the taxi sevice is ridiculousy expensive if you are on your own.

Although I'm Ok for somewhere to stay now, it used to be all down to luck to get somewhere in town as they were booked up for the next event from the year before.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Would normally stay in The Dolphin but they had no room but its where I'll be frequenting mostly as well as The Nog. Its changed a lot over the years and not for the better in my opinion (and I've clocked up a lot of hours in some pubs :D ).
Lived in the town for a little while, that's was okayish.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Margi, the local places go very quickly. Hogswatch regulars often book months in advance and I've known people who have had to sleep in their cars because they couldn't find anywhere.

The year I came a bunch of us managed to rent a holiday cottage for a few days, but it was quite some way outside Wincanton and we had to do a lot of persuading to get the landlady to let us have it for just a few days.

It tends to be like Bethlehem in Wincanton at Hogswatch. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Bickaxe wrote:Would normally stay in The Dolphin but they had no room but its where I'll be frequenting mostly as well as The Nog. Its changed a lot over the years and not for the better in my opinion (and I've clocked up a lot of hours in some pubs :D ).
Lived in the town for a little while, that's was okayish.

I'll be at the Dolphin as a 1st timer - :D was lucky enough to pick up someone's discarded booking on the CA forum :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 pm

As I said pot luck Jan,but now being home I would have to have somewhere booked before the travel arrangements were made.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Margi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 am

Tonyblack wrote:Margi, the local places go very quickly. Hogswatch regulars often book months in advance and I've known people who have had to sleep in their cars because they couldn't find anywhere.

The year I came a bunch of us managed to rent a holiday cottage for a few days, but it was quite some way outside Wincanton and we had to do a lot of persuading to get the landlady to let us have it for just a few days.

It tends to be like Bethlehem in Wincanton at Hogswatch. :lol:

That's what I thought, but I just had a moment's panic. I don't suppose the planners (aka Tin Pot Hitlers) would have allowed the new hotel if it would have impacted on the local ones. I'm hoping it will bring more business in to town as we now have a net to catch the passing night-sleeper trade instead of them sailing on down to Podimore.

I was thinking I might have a spare room but I'm not so sure now - one of the boys is coming back home. I've got a flat front lawn where a tent could go. And there is the caravan park up at the racecourse.

We have similar accommodation problems on race days too.
Margi

Next

Return to The Broken Drum