Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:26 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:
No, no... That's a Moray! :romance-hearteyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Presumably, his thoughts also :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Dotsie wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:
No, no... That's a Moray! :romance-hearteyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Presumably, his thoughts also :shock:

Must've been a helluva humiliation conger line! :doh:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm

The Independent.

A row has erupted over a priest banning yoga from a church hall because the class was “not compatible” with the Catholic faith.

Instructor Cori Withell said the classes she booked for yoga and pilates at St Edmund's Church building in Southampton were cancelled with 10 days to go.

She was told by the booking secretary of the church that it was because yoga is a Hindu religious activity.

Father John Chandler from the church said that the hall has to be used for Catholic activities and he banned it because it was advertised as "spiritual yoga".

The ban is not Catholic Church policy and decisions are left to the discretion of individual priests. Some Catholic retreats use yoga for relaxation.

Ms Withell, 37, from nearby Eastleigh, said the church accepted the booking two months ago and she paid £180.

She was called later and told that yoga was from another religion so she could not have the hall. A separate pilates class she had booked was also cancelled.

"I had never heard about any religious issue with yoga before but I have looked into it since and found that some other religions feel that when people meditate it could let the devil inside them," she said.

"But there was never any meditation in my class - it was just exercises. Yoga is not religious: spiritual, but not religious.

"I do not object to anyone having a religious viewpoint, but it seemed terribly petty to cancel the classes.

"As a nation we have an obesity epidemic. I was trying to bring some exercise to the community and coming across blocks like this is frustrating.

"I offered to go down and show them the moves and, literally, the shutters came down."

Fr Chandler said the church was "misled" by Ms Withell's booking because he claimed that, at first, the hall was booked for pilates and then he found out it was also for spiritual yoga.

"Yoga is a Hindu spiritual exercise. Being a Catholic church we have to promote the gospel and that's what we use our premises for.

"We did say that yoga could not take place. It's the fact that it's a different religious practice going on in a Catholic church," he explained.

"On one hand we say to our parishioners 'be strong in your faith', and on the other hand there's this other religious belief that's not part of our faith. It's not compatible. We are not saying that yoga is bad or wrong."

Fr Chandler added he had not researched what Ms Withell's class would have included and he had not spoken to her about the issue because he felt "the relationship had got off to a bad start".

"There are other halls she could use in Southampton," he added.

A spokesman for Portsmouth Catholic Diocese said: "It's not possible for Catholic premises to be used for non-Christian activities and there is a dilemma with yoga as it can be seen as Hindu meditation or as relaxation.

"There is no national policy on this and the decision is for each priest."
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Idiotic word chopping :roll: No wonder they're losing parishioners hand over fist :snooty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Religious activity my arse :roll: Nobody in that room will be thinking about Hindu gods. But they will now be in a room somewhere else thinking how stupid Catholic priests are. Well played Father!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

What unbelievable ignorance. :roll:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:40 pm

They just dont like anything perceived as competition, if they cant contol or understand it they ban it or try to destoy it as they have done down through the ceturies. :evil:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:19 pm

A few years ago, a young priest went to work in an Abbey and his first job was to copy the ancient scriptures of the bible by hand. One day he noticed a problem. All the priests, who were doing the same thing, were making copies from other copies and he went to the Abbot and told him about it.
" Father..." The young priest explained, "If there was just one mistake made then it's been repeated over and over again!"

The Abbot thanked the priest for noticing the problem and disappeared. Hours later, when no one had seen him all day, the worried priest went searching and finally found him sobbing over the original text, which had been locked away in the Monasteries safe for centuries.

" We forgot the "R"!" He kept saying, over and over.

The young priest was somewhat taken aback at his distress and said;

"Father, what's wrong?"

Tearfully, the old Abbot looked up and said;

"Celebrate......the word was celebrate"

:lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:37 am

I think I heard that one before. :think:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:54 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:They just dont like anything perceived as competition, if they cant contol or understand it they ban it or try to destoy it as they have done down through the ceturies. :evil:

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:42 pm

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 am

Yeah, headline news over here, I'm afraid.

My boss was saying yesterday that he has a friend (female) who used to work for JS on Jim'll Fix It, and she was totally creeped out by him.

Not proof, I know.

If, however, it is true, and the BBC were aware, they they have ONE HELL OF A LOT to answer to.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:29 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Yeah, headline news over here, I'm afraid.

My boss was saying yesterday that he has a friend (female) who used to work for JS on Jim'll Fix It, and she was totally creeped out by him.

Not proof, I know.

If, however, it is true, and the BBC were aware, they they have ONE HELL OF A LOT to answer to.

I don't think so. Channel 7 isn't copping any fallout over the sexual abuse allegations against Robert Hughes (the lead actor of Hey Dad!), though the fact that Channel 7's Today Tonight program is following the issue closely may go some way to deflect those questions. :think:

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

Did Channel 7 know about the assaults, and cover it up? The allegations over here are the the BBC were told about JS and did nothing about it.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 am

Not that I know of. I think some people in the production were aware of allegations.

Here's the Wikipedia section on the matter, from the Hey Dad! article...

In a March 2010 interview with Woman's Day magazine, regular cast member Sarah Monahan claimed she had been molested on set during the production of the series.

Although Monahan did not initially name the cast member, in an interview on A Current Affair that aired on 24 March 2010, Monahan alleged that it was the show's lead actor, Robert Hughes, who had sexually molested her. She claimed that this occurred on several occasions during production of the series. In addition, cast member Ben Oxenbould claimed he discovered Hughes touching a different young girl, who was a guest actor on an episode, in a way that seemed inappropriate.

After Monahan named Hughes, the executive producer, Gary Reilly made a statement to the press in which he stated that he had been unaware of any misconduct towards Monahan, but that he had been aware of rumours in regard to impropriety towards a young actor who joined after Monahan's departure, and that he had acted to provide a chaperone for the actor and had confronted the accused, who later resigned from the series. Reilly said he confronted a man accused of inappropriate treatment of a young cast member hired after Monahan had left the program. In response to Reilly's claim that he was unaware, Simone Buchanan and Ben Oxenbould came forward and alleged that they had separately approached Reilly during the show about Monahan's allegations towards Hughes, but had been warned to keep quiet. In March 2011, Gary Reilly admitted that he had had "stand-up rows" with Hughes over the alleged abuse of Monahan which had driven Hughes decision to resign from the show. Monahan announced that she intended taking civil action against Hughes and television station executives.

Hughes, confronted by A Current Affair in Singapore where he was living, denied the claims.

On 29 March 2010, police announced the creation of a task force, codenamed Strike Force Ruskin, to investigate the claims. On 30 March 2010, it was reported that detectives had begun interviewing former members of the show's cast and crew. In September 2010, six months after the allegations were published, it was reported that over a hundred people had been interviewed. Hughes was arrested in London on 9 August 2012 on 11 charges relating to the sexual and indecent assault of five girls in Sydney between 1985 and 1990. On 10 August, Hughes was released on $90,000 bail to appear before an extradition hearing on 19 September which Hughes' lawyers have stated they will oppose.

-the Master
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum