Why assisted death MUST become legal...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Why assisted death MUST become legal...

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 am

... have a read of THIS. This lady is truly courageous and honest about living with someone who NEEDS to die... :cry:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Re: Why assisted death MUST become legal...

Postby raisindot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Tragic as this case is, the argument here isn't that assisted death must become legal; the argument is that those who do nothing to save the live of someone who chooses to commits suicide should not be prosecuted for manslaughter. There's a huge difference between the two. Mind you, I'm in favor of legalizing both scenarios.
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 pm

That's what I mean - the situation that man and his surviving wife were put in was intolerable as he tried to suicide several times before he was finally successful, probably doing himself more damage in the process with the car-gassing attempt at least :?

It's that kind of situation where relatives behaviour can be construed as criminal when it's not even their choice necessarily that needs firming up with proper, rational and considered legislation. The woman was put on trial but at least she wasn't convicted but the point is she'd obeyed the letter of the law several times already in calling out emergency services to his abortive attempts and it had done absolutely nothing to help her husband's situation and made her feel bad for preventing something he desparately wanted... :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jason » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:58 am

Such a sad story and made all the worse by the Doctors refusal to accept there was a problem. My wife has CFS / ME and I know how much stigma there is with this. We eventually got to see a consultant after 18 months and he thinks a lot of the illness is down to a lack of vitamin D. When tested we found that Lisa had a reading of 16 (normal values are 80 - 120). She is currently taking huge doses of vitamin D (under doctors advice) to see if it helps but it could be six months before we find out if this is the answer to a lot of the problems.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:03 am

I'm really pleased that Terry has got people talking about these things. Whether it will lead to the law being changed, I don't know. But breaking the taboo of talking about these things is a real start.

Jason, I hope the vitamin D helps, I know these vitamin therapies can take a long time to show any real effect.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 am

Sorry to hear about that Jason, vitamin D is also known as the sunshine tablet as the body makes that from exposure to sunlight, I was on the little brown high dosage pills after an op for a couple of months I believe it also aids blood circulation.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 am

(((((Purple vibes and hugs))))) to you and your wife Jason. Carers do such a hard job in helping their loved ones simply cope with living with a chronic illness and deserve every bit of support going and more besides :clap:

The 'invisible' illnesses are so hard to live with. All uninformed people (and sadly some professionals who should know better) see - literally - is someone who appears to be in reasonable condition and shouldn't be having problems :(
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chett.html

Motor Neurone sufferer commits suicide after watching TP's programme.

Very brave guy.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:34 am

Damn you Bouncy! You made me read the Daily Mail. :x

Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't help feeling that article contained a certain amount of finger pointing at Sir Terry's programme. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 am

Yeah, I thought that too.

Basically, I think the programme gave him the courage to go through with it.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby michelanCello » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:34 pm

I agree with Tony, the article isn't really positive about it... still really brave, though, what he did. However, this phrase kind of freaked me out:

article wrote:Thomas Hobkinson, 71, suffered from motor neurone disease and had bought drugs over the internet so that he could kill himself at home, as well as a handbook on how to commit suicide.

There's a handbook on how to commit suicide?? :shock:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:56 pm

The Handbook's been out there well before Choosing to Die came out - it's nothing to do with the Swiss firm Dignatas featured in the documentary. It's actually obtainable through an Australian website which is spearheaded by an academic who is very vocal on euthanasia all over the world and have published the handbook to give 'reliable and practical' information on how to end your life medically and legally in a 'safe' manner. The site also gives information on legislation in various countries and advice on institutional procedures where euthanasia is not against the law. The idea is so someone can end their life without unnecessary personal suffering or accidently implicating others in their actions that could lead to their being put on trial for not preventing an 'unnecessary' death.

Nothing to do with Terry's documentary or the route taken by the 2 men, Andrew Colgan and Peter Smedley who were filmed before they went to Switzerland and, in Peter's case, during his final hours.

Aside from seeing the documentary and suffering from the same illness (motor neurone disease) as Peter Smedley, this chap took another path towards achieving his own death. Why the Mail then chooses to attach a vid of the 1st 15 mins of Choosing To Die says more about the paucity of their research skills and journalistic values than valid comment on the questions that the inquest was focussing on, namely whether anyone other than Thomas Hobkinson himself had caused his death. He went into his choices and went through with something he wanted to do - end of. He probably watched the Nine O'Clock News more than once during the same period as well and made a conscious decision not to go on a suicide bombing mission to achieve the same thing, so how is watching one documentary 3 months before his suicide (about Dignatas arranged procedures, not shopping for potassium cyanide or whatever it was on the internet) got anything much to do with how he went about securing his wishes. It's still about the choice on when to end life and who should be making it. :pray:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby MellowD » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 pm

It's a very delicate subject. While there's life, there's hope. I don't believe in legalising any form of death sentence because mistakes can be made by doctors and jury.
MellowD

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:42 am

I think the most important point about this though is that it's the choice of the individual.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:36 am

Yes, that's my take on it. This is not about doctors or juries deciding that a person's life should be ended, this is about a person in so much pain and suffering that they have the right to be able to say: enough!

Yes, there may or may not be a cure somewhere down the line, but that's hardly comfort to someone whose life is so disrupted by suffering that every day is torture.

Why shouldn't people have the right to decide when they want to go?
Tonyblack

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett