J.K.Rowling

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: J.K.Rowling

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Must have been a bit smelly sitting next to a tusker trying to write. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tris » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:24 am

To everyone who said that they didn't like the HP books, okay! We get it! It's your opinion, and you're entitled to it! There's still millions of people out there who like them. I didn't even know about the whole "poor mother living in poverty" thing. I liked the books for the BOOKS, not the author. I don't try to persuade other people to like them just because I do.
Sorry if I sounded rude. I didn't mean to.
Tris

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:04 am

Don't worry about sounding rude, Tris. 8-)

I loved all the Harry Potter books! :dance:

Given a choice between HP and LOTR, I'd plump for the former everytime. The same goes for the movies. :dance:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Don't worry about sounding rude, Tris. 8-)

I loved all the Harry Potter books! :dance:

Given a choice between HP and LOTR, I'd plump for the former everytime. The same goes for the movies. :dance:

Oddly enough, I find myself agreeing with Pooh on this. In fact, as blasphemous as this may sound, I'd take some of the better HP books over any of the DW books that came out before Mort and several that came after.
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:29 pm

What poohcarrot said.
I was a rabid HP fan for years. Eventually I was severely disappointed by the repeated failure to use her own plot possibilities in favor of trite plotting. In retrospect, I realized that it was basically an extremely long first novel, and she was stuck with her original plot long after she might have improved it. I was also disappointed by her apparent inability to count or read a calendar, but that was also the fault of her editors, who let things like that slip through.
Terry's early Discworld books can be said to be picaresque, but at least he can count.
=Tamar

Postby Tris » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:32 pm

http://rickriordan.blogspot.com/2005/11 ... otter.html

It doesn't matter if you've never heard of the Percy Jackson books, read this anyway. I was going through the whole blog, starting in 2005, and I found this post.
Tris

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:09 am

Has anyone got The Casual Vacancy yet and if so, is it any good?

I enjoyed the Harry Potter books - although I've never been tempted to reread them. I'm not sure I'd buy this new book based on the Potter books, but if it gets good reviews and if I happen to find it in a charity shop somewhere along the line, I may give it a go. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 am

Tonyblack wrote:Has anyone got The Casual Vacancy yet and if so, is it any good?

I enjoyed the Harry Potter books - although I've never been tempted to reread them. I'm not sure I'd buy this new book based on the Potter books, but if it gets good reviews and if I happen to find it in a charity shop somewhere along the line, I may give it a go. :)

I have it ordered so hopefully it'll arive tomorrow but it'll have to wait til after Stonehenge. I'll let you know what i think. The missus might read it staright away soi could have a review from her quick enough :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 am

WH Smith at London Bridge Station was selling the new Rowling this morning for about a tenner.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:17 am

Sadly with waterstones goin missing from dublin all the rest of the bookshops cahrge about 20euro for new releases so i have to be patient waiting on ordered copies :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby high eight » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:The write-up leaves me cold, I'm afraid.

The Casual Vacancy focuses on the little town of Pagford, with its cobbled square and ancient abbey, which is left in shock when parish councillor Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties.

The publishers said: "What lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils." The story follows the battle for the empty seat on the parish council "in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations".

Zzzzzzzz.

My thought exactly. Sounds like one of those 'naughty vicar's wife' sort of village soap-opera influenced things (with added chavs. Gawd! :shock:). Probably a long way sub-Jilly Cooper.

A couple of human sacrifices or an alien invasion somewhere around chapter 10 might make it vaguely interesting......
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Catch-up » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:58 pm

I have it on hold at the library, but don't know when I'll get it.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby janet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:47 pm

high eight wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:The write-up leaves me cold, I'm afraid.

The Casual Vacancy focuses on the little town of Pagford, with its cobbled square and ancient abbey, which is left in shock when parish councillor Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties.

The publishers said: "What lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils." The story follows the battle for the empty seat on the parish council "in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations".

Zzzzzzzz.

My thought exactly. Sounds like one of those 'naughty vicar's wife' sort of village soap-opera influenced things (with added chavs. Gawd! :shock:). Probably a long way sub-Jilly Cooper.

A couple of human sacrifices or an alien invasion somewhere around chapter 10 might make it vaguely interesting......

Completely wrong on every count.
£9 in Tesco. A gripping intro and, so far, bears no resemblance to an Aga-saga!
Talk about judging a book by the cover! How is it possible to judge it by someone else's description of the cover??
I wouldn't dream of commenting on a book if I had not even seen it :shock: :shock:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Dotsie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm

So you have read Fifty Shades then ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books