What have you seen recently? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What have you seen recently? 3

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 pm

If you are talking about the current BBC version of Sherlock, then it's the first time for ages that the actor has been able to use his real accent.

He's from the Republic of Ireland.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:54 pm

I just watched Sin City. Brilliant! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:51 pm

It has been rumoured that there's Sin City 2 coming out hope it's as good. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:00 am

Tonyblack wrote:I just watched Sin City. Brilliant! :D

That was my reaction too. Did you get a resonance with Pulp Fiction? Maybe it's just the interlocking stories vibe...

Anyway, I'm currently on a quest to watch the whole of the Supernatural series - half way through season one now - it's a bit 'monster of the week' so far but I have hopes it'll improve.

- and also looking for all the Sidney Greenstreet/Peter Lorre collaborations - Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon go without saying, of course, but I want to see the other 6 movies they appeared in together, got Background to Danger so far, looking for Passage to Marseilles.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 am

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:47 am

MongoGutman wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I just watched Sin City. Brilliant! :D

That was my reaction too. Did you get a resonance with Pulp Fiction? Maybe it's just the interlocking stories vibe...

I know what you mean, but I think it was the comic book style that was so well done and different that really appealed. The sort "Behind the scenes" special on the DVD was fascinating as it featured the original comic book artist, Frank Miller and his thoughts on the way the comics had been brought to life and how pleased he was with the results.

It's very violent, but in a way, it feels like comic book violence - almost so over the top that it doesn't count - if you know what I mean. :)
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:If you are talking about the current BBC version of Sherlock, then it's the first time for ages that the actor has been able to use his real accent.

He's from the Republic of Ireland.

Moriarty from the recent film version is also Irish :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 am

Just taken delivery of my Fringe S4 DVDs.

Whoop!

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 am

Does that mean you'll be quiet for a while :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:41 am

NEVER!

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 am

ah :doh:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PASSAGE-TO-MARSEILLE-Humphrey-Bogart-DVD-sealed-region-2-PAL-/380467816459?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item5895a6280b

Thanks for the link but, shiver me timbers, I wouldn't buy it - half the fun is seeking and finding for free download somewhere on the net ;)
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Crys, there really are only three episodes, but the double DVD contained the pilot episode, which was never shown on TV. A Study in Pink is actually a remake of that pilot.

My DVDs certainly have English subtitles because when we tried to watch it PBS in America, Sharlene had difficulty in understanding what they were saying, so when I bought the DVDs I checked that they had subtitles and have watched them with those subtitles.

I've checked again, to be sure, and there is no mention whatsoever to any subtitles. I can't understand why they didn't put them in, why do they do these things? It's the only British series I've ever seen in a store, and it doesn't have the english subtitles! Disappointed..
CrysaniaMajere

Postby HobbitFeets » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:37 am

As I'm a bit of a martial arts geek i've just watched these (I have to say I have seen some of them more than once)

Rush Hour 3 (hilarious)
Forbidden Kingdom
Kill Zone (Donnie Yen)
Ip Man 1 and 2 (This is because they are class and I do practice Foshan Wing Chun)
Kung Fu Panda (well why not and my daughter loves it)
No. I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in "adventures."

Nasty.... Disturbing... Uncomfortable things......................Make you late for dinner.
HobbitFeets

Location: South Stafforshire (Between a Rock and a Hard Place)

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 pm

I just watched Kite Runner on DVD. Such a good film! :)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre