(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 3

Postby Selkie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 am

((((((((hugs)))))))) Sharlene.
Selkie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am

Get well soon swreader hope there is no severe bruising.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 pm

It sounds like a nasty fall, sw. Thank goodness that you weren't as badly hurt as last time!
Hope you feel better soon.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm

(((((purple vibes for Sharlene)))))

Another pooping incident :roll: This time in the conservatory at least so tiled floor and easy to clean up - impressively long turd too... :shifty: *best to draw a veil here for sensitive non-dog owners*

Thanks for the comments guys - I don't think she's afraid of us exactly, but I becoming more convinced it's something like attention-seeking/self-harming behaviour. Also possibly she needs more exercise, except with the kennel cough she had and because she's not used to being able to run around much we've not been giving her very long walks so far as she strained a muscle the one time we tried to play with her like we do with Toby. He's been sulking too because although he still gets his usual walkies she's there and gets some attention so atm he's constantly 'there' with me so he gets to me first for petting etc - also some fussing with his food which is normal for him as he's always been a casual grazer whereas she's a little hog and bolts it all down so mealtimes are also a little vexed still with him being twice her size and so eating more. We're trying to make sure she doesn't pinch his until he's had a good portion of it anyway as she needs to fatten up a little and him slim down a very small amount that's probably not so bad at least. :lol: Also, judging from her size, I think that it's likely she was the runt of the litter and so that goes some way to explaining the overly submissive behaviour as she must have been bottom of the heap in the place she came from with dogs and humans :evil:

We're gonna take her to the vets to see about this biting/scratching though as it's excessive and she is starting to get bald patches around her bum, so it could possibly be worms or lice as you say WW, although her worm/flea protection is up to date, but it looks like we've got a some kind of pyschie problem with her and it'll be a question of cuddles and confidence-building with her for a good while. Her recall's getting better though so it's just a question of perseverance :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Poor Zena :( But I think she's in the right home now :) Muppet now has my iPod, so he can have calming meadow sounds played to him. I can feel myself slipping away... :shock: No, too late, I am a crazy bunny lady :oops: But I'm given to understand that it's worse with cats, so as long as I don't get one hopefully I'll be OK :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Her recall's getting better though

My first thought was................... how the hell does Jan know that the dog can't remember things?

Then I realised... :roll: :oops:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Perhaps she's in some psycho-fabricated vacation experience facility where she's the last dog in the Universe on board the futuristic space bone-mining vessel Dog Star with a Hologram of her dead housemate Toby and two new lifeforms evolved from some neanderthal Gelfs she 'acquired' on Sirius 6? :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Now that's just being silly. :lol:

(Can't wait for new series of RD).
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Hugs Sharlene! Really sorry about your fall. :( Take it easy and get better soon!

Jan, hope Xena settles in soon. It's not fun to clean up accidents. I've had to do that with a 100lb Samoyed. :shock: Talk about impressive.

Dotsie, I think that's so sweet! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Del » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:48 pm

On my phone.... bear with me.

Sharlene has a BOOM BOX??????? To! Waddup girlfriend!

But seriously.... so so so glad your fall wasn't too bad Sharlene. You really do need a killer story for that black eye though...maybe wear you baseball cap backwards put your boombox on your shoulder and walk with a limp AND an attitude!!! Yo dun mess wit ME bro!!!
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:55 pm

I'm sort of (not really) glad I'm not there at the moment, or people might think I've been hitting her. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:(((((purple vibes for Sharlene)))))

Another pooping incident :roll: This time in the conservatory at least so tiled floor and easy to clean up - impressively long turd too... :shifty: *[i]

:o
Ohhhhhhhhh .... THE DOG!!!!!!!! PHEW!

Jan... stop analysing the wee doggie... she's a DOG. Just treat her the same as Toby , so he knows where he stands too. And she woll settle in with the right rules that she will observe with Toby and get used to. It takes time but routine is a great healer. So is time.

A lot of my own family have rescued dogs. As long as she is not vicious or attacking small children most come good in time.

We have had two dogs that had been neglected and needed shaving etc. In both the skin condition you mention wasn't habit or boredom or any of that... it was excema brought on by the flea infestation.

. The vet prescribed a tablet a day that eased it and eventually it got better. Mum also used her own salves on one and made sure the dog followed her everywhere and so was on hand to check her anytime she went to chew.

I have no idea what the tablets were. But they worked. One of the dogs has to have them every day for his life.
Del

Postby Del » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'm sort of (not really) glad I'm not there at the moment, or people might think I've been hitting her. :?

Oh Tony. Fact is people get black eyes.... fact of life. But I know what you mean... I got so many sidelong glances when H had massive black eye and swollen cheek. I felt like getting a t shirt printed that said...
" She ran into another kids head!!!"

Best thing to do if it ever happens when you are there is dress Sharlene up as a pirate WITH a huge eyepatch , get her to say nothing but "Arghhhhhhhhhhhh!" and tell everyone she's totally crazy.... lost her mind poor dear .

Better you have a crazy wife than she have a wife-better.
Del

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 pm

I agree with Del (gods help me!), but I can very much understand what Tony is feeling.

A mate of mine was born with Brittle Bone Disease. He and his wife had a son, and thankfully, he didn't have it.

However, they used to babysit for his nephew who had inherited the disease. One day, the kid fell off the sofa - only 6 inches from sofa to carpeted floor, but something went phut.

They took him to A&E (or ER for the Americans amongst us!) but although they explained to them what the kid's condition was, they ended up with cops and social services arriving as the hospital thought the kid had been abused.

All sorted in the end, but Bill was very wary of looking after the kid after that.

Great story - not.

Bill slipped one winter, and broke his leg. He knew it was broken, coz he'd had so many breaks before.

In the hospital he explained, and, long story short, he ended up lying on a bed with a consultant and a load of junior doctors around his bed. He explained that one of the things that makes it obvious about brittle bones was the fact that the whites of the eyes are more a silvery/grey colour.

One med student asked him "Is it as painful when you break a bone as it is with normal bones?"

Bill's response? How the F*** would I know?

:mrgreen:

Bouncy Castle

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Good answer that man :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum