The What Film Did I Watch Quiz 2

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The What Film Did I Watch Quiz 2

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:27 pm

It's not,but you're going roughly in the right direction(timewise,think even earlier though,by almost a decade).
First(oke second now^) clue straight off then,the warning below(/naming of) the pic is to be taken literally.
So a beverage it certainly is not. ;)
Last edited by Mycroft Vimes on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:01 am

Quatermass wrote:
Willem wrote:Sin City?

Nope.

...Nah, just kidding. Yes, it's Sin City, specifically the point where Jackie Boy's (already severed, a long story) head is blown up thanks to a remote-control grenade detonation. :D

Did anyone find the conversation between the deceased Jackie Boy (played with macabre glee by Benicio del Toro) and Dwight (Clive Owen) the height of dark comedy? :lol:

I've just found Sin City on DVD for £1 in a charity shop. I've never seen it before - is it any good?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:12 am

i enjoed it tony, but i have some fairly weird tastes in movies. jessica alba doing a pole dance doesnt exactly hurt the plot of the movie :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby MongoGutman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:27 am

I enjoed it too. In fact i thought it was really goo
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:37 am

Going back to Mycroft's question: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Willem wrote:Sin City?

Nope.

...Nah, just kidding. Yes, it's Sin City, specifically the point where Jackie Boy's (already severed, a long story) head is blown up thanks to a remote-control grenade detonation. :D

Did anyone find the conversation between the deceased Jackie Boy (played with macabre glee by Benicio del Toro) and Dwight (Clive Owen) the height of dark comedy? :lol:

I've just found Sin City on DVD for £1 in a charity shop. I've never seen it before - is it any good?

Depends on your tastes. It's very much a heavy noir sort of movie that isn't for a lot of people (the author of the original graphic novels seems to have a thing for...seamstresses, shall we say? And he also holds lots of right wing values. There's a reason one of the graphic novels is called Booze, Broads and Bullets...) but it is entertaining, and with an all-star cast. If you wanted to see Mickey Rourke duke it out with Elijah Wood, or Bruce Willis save Jessica Alba's life, well, there you go. Certainly one pound is an excellent price for it.

The film is separated into three main stories: The Hard Goodbye, The Big Fat Kill, and That Yellow Bastard, with two other short sequences bookending the film. The screenshot is from the end of The Big Fat Kill, and I've decided to post the aforementioned sequence with Dwight (played by Clive Owen) hallucinating the dead Jackie Boy (played by Benicio del Toro) speaking to him. BTW, this scene was directed by Quentin Tarantino, while the rest of the film was a collaboration between Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller.

Warning: it is rather grotesque. Jackie Boy has had his throat slit, and that is a gun slide in his head. There's a reason this film is rated MA 15+ in Australia (15/18 for UK residents, I think).

"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde? :?

Nope not even close i'm afraid,on with the clues. ;)
This film is thankfully not dubbed,so it's not in english...
It might be harder than i estimated,so i'll even give one more clue.
Although the suspense is quite a lot more in the narrative then in the effects,explosions do play a big part in it...
I wonder if that'll do it. :)
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Apparantly not. :D
Further clue and i'll make it a big one,it starred a quite famous french singer/actor('discovered' by Edith Piaf no less,this particular movie made him famous internationally),which cost me a 10,- guilder bet(=Fl. was a bit before the euro (€) at the time.
I was convinced it starred Jean-Paul Belmondo,which it turned out it just doesn't... :doh:
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Maybe not big enough of a clue,here come some bigger clues then. :P
I'll throw in some more screenshots,see if that rings any bells.
First off a nicely ironic one,as it's wrong by about 59 years. :mrgreen:
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Secondly,i'll solve the mystery of the composition of the drop of liquid in the first screenshot,now that should really do it... :whistle:
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Quatermass » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 am

This is a guess, based on research, but looking back at the screenshots and the clues, there's really only one: The Wages of Fear?
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:16 am

I did make it googable,didn't i... :D
Although it's not the original title,which would have been much preferred :roll: :
Le salaire de la peur(1953).

Great classic suspense thriller,which made Yves Montand famous globally.
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Quatermass » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:09 am

Okay, well, my turn. This one should be easy. In fact, I'll be surprised if someone doesn't get it straight off the bat.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 am

This Sporting Life.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Hmm? What's that Dottie*? This Sporting Life? Dear dear dear, I should have made it more difficult. Yes, the screenshot is of This Sporting Life, hmmf.

And THAT was my very bad William Hartnell impression. :?

*That was my attempt to emulate the First Doctor changing 'Chesterton' (the surname of Ian, one of his first companions) to other names like 'Chesterfield', 'Chartow', 'Chesserman', 'Chatterton', etc. And then there's this funny line from The Romans...

Doctor: I don't know that I was under any obligation to report my movements to you, Chesterfield.
Barbara: Chesterton.
Doctor: Oh, Barbara's calling you.

-the Master
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre