Dream casting

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Dream casting

Postby MongoGutman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:17 am

Robby Coltrane as Fred Colon?

Brian Blessed as Ridcully, yes, that's a given, but didn't Ridcully have a brother who was high priest of Blind IO? John Cleese perhaps?

Phillip Glenister as Vimes?

Chloe Moretz as Tiffany Aching?

Robert Carlisle as Moist von Lipwig?
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Paranye » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:08 am

There just has to be a place for Benedict Cumberbatch somewhere. If only he was a bit older I could see him as Vetinari.

MongoGutman, I like Robbie Coltrane for Fred! But I'm not sure about Robert Carlisle for Moist - I always see Moist as having one of those inoffensively handsome but fairly forgettable faces - Craig Parker, maybe.

Carlisle as Rincewind, now that I could see. He does put-upon, harried and persecuted so well!

What about John Hannah for Lord Downey? He's got a great contemptuous sneer!

My William de Worde would be Lawrence Fox. He's so tall, but he has this habit of hunching his shoulders and folding in on himself. I could see William being like that.

Expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.
Paranye

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 pm

fine i didn't like their site anyway.

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:51 am

Definitely agree 100% with Miriam Margolyes as Nanny. She's got the right personality. Phillip Glenister would make a very good Vimes.

He may be too young but the only real life person that I imagine as Vetinari is Mark Strong. I think he'd be amazing.
mark strong.jpg

He's got alot going on behind the eyes. I like him.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby S@mwich » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:03 pm

I have a bad habit of picturing discworld characters to be almost the opposite sizes to to what they are, ie Fred has a small belly, but is over all quite skinny. Throat is fat. Nanny is thin, Christine and Agnes (maskerade) are reversed. And munstrum looks like my master of the senior school, short thin and Irish. (these are the most outstanding examples
Therefore:

Vimes: Hugh Jackman
Throat: stephen fry
Granny: Julie Andrews...
Vernance: possibly Hugh grant...
Margat: Reese Witherspoon
Moist: Richard coyle is good

I think thats about it...
Death or pins? Death or Pratchett!
Discworld completion: 66.6%
S@mwich

Postby Lori » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 pm

A few possibilities spring to my mind almost immediately...

I think Hugh Laurie would make a good Rincewind. A bit of his "bumbling idiot" voice from either the "Black Adder" or "Jeeves & Wooster" days, combined with the cynicism of "House" would be perfect. He even slightly resembles the early book covers' artwork - tall, lanky, and a bit rough 'round the edges, but irresistibly lovable.

Perhaps Sir Patrick Stewart as Ridcully... Authoritativeness of his voice, articulate - I can picture him as comfortable as the head of UU as he was on the bridge of the Enterprise. Please make it so...

Definitely Frank Langella for the part of Vetinari... I love Frank's sexy menacing voice! And he looks SO good in black, too! His Dracula made me want to leave the window open at night for weeks... Powerful, dangerous, yet oozing with sex appeal, just like Vetinari... ;-)

And I picture Nanny Ogg to have more of a Dawn French sound to her. Youthful, jovial with a wicked sense of humor.

Anyone concur?
Lori
Lori

Postby Dotsie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Welcome to the forum :D Afraid I don't agree with any of those :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Welcome from me too. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:36 am

Hellooo and welcome from me too! :D

I'm afraid I still can't get Brian Blessed out of my head as Ridcully but I do think Patrick Stewart would make an excellent Ronald Saveloy ("Teach") from 'Interesting Times'. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Buskerguy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi.

I've got a few firmly embedded in my mind, some of which have already been there!

Christopher Lee as the voice of Death. A must be for me.
Sean Astin as Twoflower was brilliant.
David Bradley was a good Cohen.

Jason Isaacs I think could be a great Vimes.
I'd love to see Alan Rickman as Vetinari.
Granny Weatherwax has been Maggie Smith for a while in my head and inadvertently carrying on with the Harry Potter cast brings me to Julie Walters as Nanny Ogg.
Brian Blessed has to be Ridcully.
Tony Robinson is a somewhat obvious (yet brilliant) choice for Nobby and Mark Addy would be perfect for Fred Colon.

I feel I should stop there for now...
Buskerguy

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Welcome to the site Buskerguy! :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Welcome! :D Maggie Smith and Julie Walters sounds like a good combination.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby fids » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Peter Kaye - CMOT Dibbler.

Stephen Marchant - Carrot

Mel Smith - Colon

Rob Brydon - Nobby

Jack Nicolson - Vorbis

Slight spin on the witches. Abfab. Jennifer - Granny, Joanna - Nanny, Nadia - Magrat. I think there's the right chemistry there :mrgreen:

Craig Charles - Sweeper

Don't stone me for heracy but Christopher Walken - Vetinari

Kevin Bridges - Rab

Vimes, everyday its someone different. Today its Robson Green.
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby Penfold » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:07 pm

Tom Hiddlestone (Loki from the Avengers Assemble) would get my shout as Carcer. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Lori » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 am

Fids - I think you might be onto something with Christopher Walken as Vetinari... You don't get much more menacing than him, yet he also has a wonderful dry sense of humour.

To everyone else, I'd like to thank you for welcoming me to this forum. I apologize for not responding to you all sooner, but things have been pear-shaped of late. My father passed away last week, and is being buried today in Virginia. I am unable to return for his funeral as I have pneumonia 'cause of my chemo, and can't fly... I'm a bit of a train wreck at the moment, but I'll definitely put my thinking cap on when my brains aren't quite so scrambled.

Lori

P.S. - I am so glad that I got the chance to see Sir Terry at the Ely Cathedral book launch before the proverbial poo hit the round spinning thing... It really meant alot to me as my father also had Altzheimer's... It's such a cruel disease... :-(
Lori

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels