Dubbed or Subtitles?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Dubbed or Subtitles?

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 am

This thread has sort of come out of the Google Quiz, but it's something that genuinely interests me when it comes to foreign language movies/TV shows.

I think that most foreign language movies or TV shows that are shown in Britain tend to be in the original language with subtitles and I like that. Usually, after watching one I'm totally unaware that I've read the whole thing.

But I've noticed that when I'm in other countries that a lot of foreign (to them) language movies and TV shows are dubbed - which I always find very odd.

The only time I've seen a film that I could have appreciated dubbing was a Japanese Anime movie (Appleseed) that I saw in the cinema. the subtitles had a job to keep pace with the dialogue and it took a while to get my reading up to speed.

But what are your opinions - dubbing or subtitles? Do you prefer one to the other? :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: Dubbed or Subtitles?

Postby Selkie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 am

I prefer subtitles. However, Mr S is dyslexic so he prefers dubbed as he finds it difficult to follow the action and read at the same time.
Selkie

Postby pip » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 am

Much prefer subtitles.
I know some people have a little trouble with them but they work better than dubbing.
My pet hate are dubbed adverts and it especially annoys me when ads are dubbed from english to use a different accent . GRRRRRRR
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:54 am

Maybe it's different if you're fist-language English, because the most famous movies are in English. But when you are in a non-english-speaking country, then dubbing is the solution to allow all people to watch the movies.
Personally, I can't follow the film if I'm reading subtitles, but I guess that just takes getting used to.

So concluding, I prefer the original version if it's in english, and the bubbed version if it's in another language like German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese or others, these being the most frequent.

Here, dubbing is a profession, and when it's well-done it takes nothing out of the original (and when it's done badly can ruin it, but that goes for book translations as well, I've read some stupid things in italian translations of fantasy books, like soldiers dying because they were ugly-looking etc.)
CrysaniaMajere

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:07 am

I'd like to add that we get dubbed versions on cinema and tv that we like it or not. We don't get the choise to watch it in original with subtitles. To watch the original version, I have to buy the DVD.
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Penfold » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:58 am

I don't really have any preference as long as the dubbing isn't totally out of sync with the film. :D

(Am I right in thinking that they wouldn't allow Arnold Schwarzenegger to dub one of his own films into German because his Austrian accent made him sound too rural for the part?)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:59 am

I much prefer subtitles. If it's dubbed I just can't get it out of my head. Also, if I'm in a foreign country I can't watch American films unless I can lip-read.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:27 pm

I have to confess, I prefer dubbing, although most of my experience with dubbing is from anime, where the dubbing is easier to do. Some dubbing is bad, admittedly (one of my first experiences with dubbed anime proper was with the Ocean Group's version of Dragonball Z, which wasn't the best, though their later dub of Death Note was much better), but enough is good enough. The acting tends to be a little more subtle on Japanese soundtracks. I just prefer not having to read the subtitles while listening to a Japanese soundtrack. It's surprisingly distracting having the subtitles in one language and the dialogue in another, whereas I have no problem with subtitles and audio in the same language. Weird, eh?

One experience with live-action dubbing that annoyed me was the Takeshi Kitano film of Zatoichi. The translation wasn't bad, but it was done (I think deliberately) as a cheesy dub with more comedic acting, especially for Ichi himself. Lot's of 'r's for 'l's, that sort of thing, at least for Ichi.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Penfold wrote:I don't really have any preference as long as the dubbing isn't totally out of sync with the film. :D

(Am I right in thinking that they wouldn't allow Arnold Schwarzenegger to dub one of his own films into German because his Austrian accent made him sound too rural for the part?)

that was on QI :P

Hate dubs, subs all the way ;)
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Catch-up » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Depends. Usually prefer subtitles, but dubbing is ok if it's done well. Subtitles can be tricky with a fast paced dialogue. I swear I missed half the action in one kung-fu movie because I was reading the whole time.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby michelanCello » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 pm

I prefer subtitles, even though the Hungarian dubbing is pretty good... mostly :P there are a few movies in which I even consider it better than the original, but usually I can't stand dubbed movies, which is why it's hard for me to go to the cinema these days, since everything. is. dubbed! :shock: There's only one cinema that still does subtitles and OV-s... and all right, there are some films that are subtitled at other cinemas too, but you have to be very lucky... :roll:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Subs,I like listening to the accents :) and something about the dubs just always sound weird to me. :?
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Subtitles here too always,i think it was what got me into english pretty young,i wanted to know if they got it right(and they sadly quite often don't of course)! :lol:
About the only exception i'd make is for this :

:lol:
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby chuckie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:25 am

I prefer subtitles, but thats due more to my hearing.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby chris.ph » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:14 am

pardon :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre