My "w"s are messed up

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

My "w"s are messed up

Postby Conforumist » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 am

Here is a screen shot:

They look faded; almost like a printer running out of ink. The only thing I can guess, is that there is an issue with my video driver. I just installed an updated one last night, since my previous one was from '09. When I increase my screen size, the font looks fine. Any suggestions?
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Re: My "w"s are messed up

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 am

Is this on all sites you visit and in all fonts?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Conforumist » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:04 am

Tonyblack wrote:Is this on all sites you visit and in all fonts?

Checking...

(I have notified nvidia as well)

No, it looks fine on other forums. They do have different skins though. Do we have any besides the default one?

Ironworks has THE best looking forum skin I've ever seen: http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/for ... y.php?f=36

Sorry, little off topic. :)
Conforumist

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:18 am

As far as I'm aware this is the only skin you get. I'm not seeing a problem with w myself. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 am

Me neither. Perhaps Con just has beautifully spaced smudges on his screen? ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Del » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Conforumist wrote:Here is a screen shot:

They look faded; almost like a printer running out of ink. The only thing I can guess, is that there is an issue with my video driver. I just installed an updated one last night, since my previous one was from '09. When I increase my screen size, the font looks fine. Any suggestions?

Tony wrote:I'm not seeing a problem with w myself

But Con didn't write an "W's" in his post. :think: So how can we judge?

MY "W" is fine.

Wound and wound the wagged wocks the wagged wascal wan.

Nope ... just fine. :lol: :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Del » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Me neither. Perhaps Con just has beautifully spaced smudges on his screen? ;)

Reminds me of the time I indignately took a brand new monitor back to the supplier thinking it had a "defect" in it with a big blue mark across the screen. He licked his finger and wiped it off. H had swiped a pen over the screen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Penfold » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Like the number of times I've spent trying to clone out a dust speck from a photo only to find out it was a mark on the screen all along. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 pm

:lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Conforumist » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:06 pm

No reply from nvidia yet... wwwwww

still messed up..
Conforumist

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:33 am

I suspect as it's all w characters its probably down to a font on your computer. All websites provide a list of preferred fonts they want to be displayed in. Your computer tries to match the fonts in order. If the designer chooses a font that looks good on one platform and a font with the same name but different exists on another platform you will get that font even though its not the one the site designer wanted.

Having looked at the CSS that makes up this site the fonts used are: "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif

If you are using a PC you are probably ok as the site is designed with PCs in mind not ideal but such is the way of the world. If you are using a mac you need to see if you have any of those fonts on your computer. Then check to see if any of them have missing bits in their Ws. If they do I guess you can either rename the font or delete it so the mac will pick an alternative. Trebuchet MS is mainly used for headings so if your W is missing in the main body look at Verdana and Helvetica.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:14 am

wait wait Wait... I see the Ws like that only if they are capital Ws, a bit like if they have less ink :lol: but they don't bother me :P
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Conforumist » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:44 am

The lower case w's are worse than upper case, but still noticeable.

I am using a PC, but as I mentioned, the only change I made was to update the driver.

Does the forum not select the default font type anyway? I'll check my settings and see the default font is; I almost always use Arial...
Conforumist

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:53 am

Verdana is a Microsoft font so you shouldn't ever get a problem with it if you have an MS O/S. Arial and Helvetica are bog standard fonts in English-speaking & Western European countries and have been around long before computers so those shouldn't cause much trouble on most machines.

Trebuchet's newer but still pretty mainstream now and as it's used for titling then it's not everywhere, but this sounds like a really annoying problem if it's affecting the pixel rendering as most fonts are vector based (designed mathematically rather than digitally so they can fragment pixels and appear smooth rather than pixelated :? ) In theory it therefore shouldn't matter if it's an unusual font as all computers (and especially Macs as they're predominantly geared for publishing industry vector-based graphics use) ought to be able to handle them perfectly.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Interestingly, now I'm on my big pooter I see the same thing. Usually I use my iPad, which doesn't do it.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum