Help I Need Your Votes (Again)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Help I Need Your Votes (Again)

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Title just popped into my head for the 2nd one Penners, Skewered Percetions as the reflections are slightly distorted, give me time to see if I come up with anything else I have a thought for the 1st one but it may not be suitable.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Thank you Tony and I agree with your comments about the Rat pic. The other option was to be the squirrel (Cute Animals Thread) which I think is the better photo. I'm waiting to see how a print of that one comes out as it might be better used in the print comps. I do have high hopes for the third one myself since it was the trickiest to take and also took the longest to compose (waiting for the steps to be clear of people, for one, and ensuring that there were no children in the frame). The second one is in because the judges always seem to like reflections and it wasn't too hard to take (framing and composition was a bit awkward with surrounding clutter and I'm not too happy with the sky reflection). Incidentally, ALL constructive criticism/comments are welcome since I am a bit blinkered by my own personal bias. :lol:

Brilliant suggestion Dug and has inspired me to name it "An Effective Reflective Perspective" which, if nothing else, should get the announcer chewing his tongue. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Conforumist » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm just wondering if naming photos is like naming art? Whereby "the" most lame titles are given like; "Woman in a field" or some such thing?
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Toothy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:01 pm

This building is called City Hall (sometimes also referred to as The Mayor's Building).

I agree with Tony. The black and white pictures are more interesting. For me this is probably because of the unusually perspectives you've captured. I, too, love the sweep of the stairs in the City Hall picture, together with the combination of curves versus straight edges (steps) and glass versus concrete.

For the title of the second, I'd've called it A Reflective Perspective, only because I don't know what the judges' reaction would be to the photographer himself claiming it's effective (even though I agree it is!). If including that sort of word goes down well with judges, then it is a great title with all three 'ives'. :)
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Lovely photo's Penfold.I especially like the third one. :)
Can't think up any names though. :think: Will think about it.
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:58 pm

You know, the more I've looked at that second picture, the more I like it. There are some very interesting distortions going on in there, presumably due to the panes of glass not sitting 100% true. Indeed, there's hardly a straight line in the picture. I also like the way there is just the hint of an entrance to a tunnel in the far right of the picture. It draws the eye beautifully.

My favourite is still the third one though. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Thank you all, your comments have given me plenty to think about. :think:

I think I might go with 'Deceptive Reflective Perspective" instead of 'Effective', particularly in view of your advice Toothy and also Tony's pointing out that there are relatively few straight lines in the pic. These are things that judges seem to like, by the way. (By the way Tony, you are quite correct; There is a tunnel to the right but it had too much extraneous clutter, including a crash barrier, to be included in the composition although I did take a separate picture of it which might be used at a later date.) :D

Regarding the titles, Con, the only real hard and fast rule is for wildlife which should only be called by its Latin scientific name to indicate that it is truly wild and not photographed in a zoo, for example. Other than that, most judges prefer titles to be fairly straight forward that explain what the picture is about if it is not too obvious from looking at it. The general rule seems to be keep it simple and to the point so I might just call number 3 "City Hall" or something similar. :D

Another thing to mention regarding the competitions is that it pays to enter three different subjects (e.g. 1 Landscape, 1 Wildlife, 1 Street) to maximize the chances of getting a decent score for at least one of them. While the majority of judges are impartial, it has happened that some have marked down photos for subjects or styles they have no taste for (which is why I was especially pleased to win the Panel Competition because the judge disliked the solarized style of photography that I had used).

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:44 pm

The only one I can think of for the 3rd one is a Pane-Full View. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 am

I'm very bad in making up titles, but I really like the pictures.
I like the third, it's very cool, but I also like the first, with the animal looking at you like thinking 'don't come any closer, let me eat in peace' .
About the second.. ehm, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Are those people inside the building, or outside reflected on the windows? It appealed to me at first the thought that the down part was inside and the up part was a reflection, just wondering if I got it right :roll:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:01 am

They are reflected in the mirror glass of the office building. :)
Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:24 am

I've looked at it with more care, and more light (it was too dark before), and it's more clear now.
Nice, but I prefer the third one. :)
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Penfold » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 am

CrysaniaMajere wrote:I'm very bad in making up titles, but I really like the pictures.
I like the third, it's very cool, but I also like the first, with the animal looking at you like thinking 'don't come any closer, let me eat in peace' .
About the second.. ehm, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Are those people inside the building, or outside reflected on the windows? It appealed to me at first the thought that the down part was inside and the up part was a reflection, just wondering if I got it right :roll:

Excellent Crys, from your comments I am definitely going with the 'Deceptive' part of the title. I only hope the picture makes the judge think/wonder as much since this is the sort of thing they seem to enjoy. :D

It is a reflection in an office block, btw, and wasn't too bright because the area was in shadow which played havoc with my light meter. :lol:

Some very exciting news on the competition front has arrived today. My solarized picture of the boat has been accepted to represent Worthing Camera Club team in the Regnum Shield Competition, a Sussex wide event. This is one of the major events in the calender (and considered on a par with 'Champions League' if put into football terms). They are very strict, however, and the print has to be remounted since it measures 380mm x 508mm and the rules strictly state it must measure 400mm x 500mm. Hopefully this can be done in time with the contrail on the right side removed! :D :D :D

The Solarized Boat.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Nice one Penners! :D

I had an odd experience thanks to you earlier. After reading crys's post, I went on Google Street View to see if I could find the buildings in the second photo. You said it was just outside London Bridge, so I looked at London Bridge tube station, which from a distance seemed to have mirror glass windows above it. But as I moved closer the windows disappeared. :shock:

Before:

After:

Bloody vandals! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Cor, quick as you like as well! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:06 pm

They'd nick anything in Lundun. :lol:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum