File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Sharlene and I have been in a few waiting rooms that have TV set on and quite often it's tuned to FOX. Sharlene tells the receptionist to turn that rubbish off. It's bad enough being in pain without having to listen to that tripe. :mrgreen:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:12 pm

:lol: Way to go Sharlene!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The 'if' kind of says (to me) that I'm not sorry for what I've said and 'if' you were offended then it's your fault for being offended, not mine for being offensive.

I agree - that one is really annoying! :evil:

God, I remember seeing this discussed somewhere. Can't remember whether it was here, another website, or in a book.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby swreader » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:05 am

Q, I suspect you may be recalling the thought of William in Truth as he listens to Mr. Windling spouting offensive nonsense about Vetinari letting in too many non-humans, and ends his comment with the phrase "No offense." William wonders why people don't avoid saying offensive things and just tack on the comment. The dwarf at the table says nothing, but neatly removes the top of his egg with an ax.

Avoiding, for the moment, the plethora of headlines making one speeches engendered by the daily comments of Romney and Ryan, I was somewhat taken aback by this one: Man jumps off Bronx Zoo train, mauled by tiger. For those who wish to know more, the link is here. He survived both the jump and the mauling, but is in critical condition and no one knows what possessed him to do that, yet.
swreader

Postby Quatermass » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:27 am

swreader wrote:Q, I suspect you may be recalling the thought of William in Truth as he listens to Mr. Windling spouting offensive nonsense about Vetinari letting in too many non-humans, and ends his comment with the phrase "No offense." William wonders why people don't avoid saying offensive things and just tack on the comment. The dwarf at the table says nothing, but neatly removes the top of his egg with an ax.

I'm actually pretty sure I didn't get it from The Truth, or any Pratchettian source (unless it was in a previous discussion on this BBS, maybe). Sorry, swreader. I think I read it on something about politics or something. I just can't remember where. It was that specific wording: "sorry IF I caused offence", the one Tony mentioned. I'm trying to figure out where I heard that variation and the explanation. It could be anywhere from this BBS to a book I have read. I dunno what... :think:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:40 am

Lynden Dorval, 61, has been a physics teacher at Ross Sheppard High School in Edmonton, Canada, and has worked in the local public school system for 35 years.

At the end of the school year in June, he faced a dilemma: a school policy that forbids teacher from giving a zero grade to students (the new requirement: "assigning behaviour codes for formative assessments") was in the way of his doing just that to students who had failed to turn in their work.

"It's promoting students without having them do the work," he says, so he ignored the policy in favor of grading the kids on actual work. But, he said, "students were always allowed to make up their zero." He was suspended for 21 days.

When he appealed the suspension, he was terminated. He now faces a new dilemma: he can retire, and protect his pension, or file a lawsuit, and risk losing everything.

Other Canadian provinces have given up on their "no zero" policies because "it proved to be a complete disaster" for students, a teacher in Manitoba said.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

"What Do You Get with a Menage a Trois, Drugs, a Revolver and a SWAT Team? Trouble in Pasco County" -- Tampa Tribune headline

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Lynden Dorval, 61, has been a physics teacher at Ross Sheppard High School in Edmonton, Canada, and has worked in the local public school system for 35 years.

At the end of the school year in June, he faced a dilemma: a school policy that forbids teacher from giving a zero grade to students (the new requirement: "assigning behaviour codes for formative assessments") was in the way of his doing just that to students who had failed to turn in their work.

"It's promoting students without having them do the work," he says, so he ignored the policy in favor of grading the kids on actual work. But, he said, "students were always allowed to make up their zero." He was suspended for 21 days.

When he appealed the suspension, he was terminated. He now faces a new dilemma: he can retire, and protect his pension, or file a lawsuit, and risk losing everything.

Other Canadian provinces have given up on their "no zero" policies because "it proved to be a complete disaster" for students, a teacher in Manitoba said.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Dunno who are the greater idiots there: the students or the policy makers.

ANDFSCD.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/OddSpot/2012/09/24/Hospital_removes_eel_from_man_798445.html?cid=ZBP_NEWS_L_L1_Hospital_removes_eel_from_man_250912

Eel be sore in the morning. I'm sure that brought 'im to eel. :laughing-rofl:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 am

:shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:14 am

A friend of mine was a casualty nurse and they frequently had to remove odd items from such places . . . :?
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:19 pm

I think I read about something similar in the Darwin Awards. There was also something similar involving a gerbil and a tube in the Darwin Awards, and of course, the Jackass team (for laughs rather than anything kinky) shoved a toy car (wrapped in a prophylactic) into one of their member's derrieres, just so that they could X-ray it and freak the GP out. :|

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Conforumist » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 am

"Darwin Awards"! That's what I was trying to remember for my toothpick swallowing fiasco! ..think I should submit it? :think:
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 am

Nah, that's nothing compared to some of the things.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:07 am

Quatermass wrote:ttp://bigpondnews.com/articles/OddSpot/2012/09/24/Hospital_removes_eel_from_man_798445.html?cid=ZBP_NEWS_L_L1_Hospital_removes_eel_from_man_250912[/url]

Eel be sore in the morning. I'm sure that brought 'im to eel. :laughing-rofl:

No, no... That's a Moray! :romance-hearteyes:

I've seen a couple of things in the Emergency Dept over the years. Like the great man Himself said, there is nothing truly stupid a human being will not do.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:09 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:
No, no... That's a Moray! :romance-hearteyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:25 am

Conforumist wrote:"Darwin Awards"! That's what I was trying to remember for my toothpick swallowing fiasco! ..think I should submit it? :think:

Only if it left you unable to procreate - that's what the Darwin Awards are for ;) (Most of the nominees are dead, but there's the occasional self-vasectomiser).
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum