What Are You Reading 2

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:12 am

I'm reading a Beryl Bainbridge book - 'Winter Garden'. I've read loads of her books, but not for ages and haven't read this one at all. I love her understated humour. The reader is often in on the joke even though the characters have no idea they are doing something funny. And she was an excellent observer of human behaviour.

One of her funniest books is Young Adolf which is based on the true story that Adolf Hitler, as a young man came to Liverpool to visit his brother and sister-in-law (who is an irish Catholic) in 1912. :lol:

Paranoid, wilful, lazy, the young Adolf Hitler turns up in Liverpool to stay with his brother Alois and sister-in-law Bridget. Hailed by Alois as a student and an artist, Adolf soon irritates his family beyond measure by his constant sponging and his tendency to get into serious trouble with the English. Surely this is a young man who will never amount to anything.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:26 pm

wot zombies fear, its a freebie off amazon for the kindle, its not brilliant but a good read for free :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Selkie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:16 am

The Practical Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. :D
Selkie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:19 am

Waiting for the new Bernard Cornwell book (1356) which comes out tomorrow. :D
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:41 am

Won't that clash with the new JK Rowling one Tony ;)
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:42 am

Finishing Dodeger and then I'm going to start Bernard Cornwells Stonehenge (found it for 2 euro for a hardback in Age Concern :D )
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:48 am

pip wrote:Won't that clash with the new JK Rowling one Tony ;)

I think I might give that one a miss. Maybe down the line when it's in a charity shop.

Stonehenge is excellent, but be warned - it covers many years and has a cast of thousands. I compiled this list of characters several years ago (was it really that long? :o ) That might be of some help. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 am

Cheers. I like my historical fiction to be complicated. :D
Nice list. I'll peruse it properly when i'm into the book :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Kill Alex Cross (James Patterson) in paperback.
Good Omens (Pratchett/Gaiman) on Kindle.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:54 pm

I read two Alex Cross books while I was sick. Mary Mary and I think the other one was just called Cross. Both were pretty good, quick reads.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:45 pm

The great thing about Patterson is that his chapters are very short!

I do wonder why he collaborates with so many other authors, though.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:The great thing about Patterson is that his chapters are very short!

Cos he can poop out more books that way. He was the highest earning writer on the planet last year cos he had a book out every week. They all start to sound the same very quick
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14 am

I'm still somewhat miffed that the Women's Murder Club TV series was cancelled. I like that series of books.

Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:The great thing about Patterson is that his chapters are very short!

Less of a collaboration, and more of a "I'm the bestselling author brand name, and you (partner) are a nobody, so in order to keep milking my cash cow I'll give you some general ideas and perhaps a rough plotline and maybe a bit of dialogue here and there but you'll do the all the writing and rewriting gruntwork in exchange for 40% of the profits.

Pterry himself has been doing these kinds of things for years. Sometimes the results are superb--like his collaboration with Neil Gaiman in Good Omens, which seemed to have 'equal voice' of Pterry and Gainman. Sometimes his collaborations with others just seems like he's tossing in a few ideas and letting someone else do the grunt work--asThe Long Earth, which seemed more like a Stephen Baxter book than a Pterry book in many ways. Then some books just look like he threw in some lower-shelf stuff to compliment the work done by others--like the not particularly engaging chapters he wrote for his part of the Science of DW books I'm not reading.

The worst is when an author whores out their concept to others with barely any involvement at all. Usually you know this has happened when the possessives start happening, i.e. "Frank Herbert's Dune" with some other nonentity writing crap.
Last edited by raisindot on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raisindot

Postby pip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Seems a bit harsh on Stephen Baxter who is a very succesful writer prior to the Long Earth and could not be classified as a non entity just because you didn't like the book .
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books