Important Info For People Who Bank Online

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Important Info For People Who Bank Online

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:44 am

Just been onto the company bank account, and got the following message from NatWest.

Security Message from NatWest Bank
20th September 2012
11.40am

New Malware in Circulation Linked to Airlines and Facebook

It has come to our attention that another new strain of malware is targeting the users of internet banking in the UK.

The malware seeks to manipulate the log-in process. If infected, a screen will appear telling you that you must change your PIN & password before you can log-in.

If you complete this bogus screen, you will be handing your log-in credentials to fraudsters.

Intelligence suggests that the malware is spread as an e-mail attachment which purports to come from either airlines (with the title of Flight Confirmation) or Facebook (with the title of A Photo of You From Facebook). Please take great care when opening unsolicited e-mails and attachments that purport to come from these sources.

To stay safe on-line, please remember these essential security tips

We will never ask for your full PIN and password online or via the telephone,
We will never ask you to change your PIN and password as part of the log-in process,
We will never ask for a challenge code from your smartcard and reader in order to log-in or confirm your identity.

If you spot anything suspicious or unusual about your Bankline session, then you should immediately contact the Bankline Helpdesk for support and advice.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Important Info For People Who Bank Online

Postby Batty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:58 am

I constantly receive emails informing me that I have an account problem.

So far, I have been contacted by NatWest, Barclays, Capital One, Lloyds, HBSC and Santander.

Which is odd, as I refuse to open an online bank account! I've also been sent an email confirming my airline booking, and advising me to print off my boarding tickets.

It's purely to safeguard me from spam and hackers that I refuse to deal with online accounts, so if the Government insist on holding benefit claimants to ransom by insisting that all claim applications are submitted online - with bank account details being obligatory - then we've gone to Hell in a handcart! :evil:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Seriously?

They expect people on the dole to afford computers? :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Del » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Seriously?

They do here Bouncy.... but then most people have them or on thier phones. OR they will insist you use one of thier many computers instead of talking to a service officer. Its the little old age pensioners I pity.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Batty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:47 pm

They are planning on bringing in on-line applications as soon as possible.
Libraries have free computer use for those that don't have them, but I have absolutely no faith in the security aspect of any government computer system.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:00 pm

I wouldn't either.

Bouncy Castle

Postby janet » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Seriously?

They're meant to use the ones at the Job Centre. My neighbour (the nice one) has been in and out of jobs for years through no fault of his own. He's still quite afraid of computers and they haven't got one so asks me if he needs anything like his CV updated or something copied/printed.
I do have access to my bank accounts online (have business one) and use it every day as a personal safeguard in case anyone has had evil designs on my overdraft. It's good cos the branch we used to have in the dale closed so the nearest bank is 13 miles away. I still visit to pay in money but also get paid by BACS by some clients.
My bank offered a security screening download ages ago....Trusteer or something.........a lot of banks use it. So I have it on my puter and have no suspicious emails at all.
All about choices but it works for me.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:13 pm

As long as all my dear mates on here are aware, that's OK with me.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 pm

I got a confirmation of my flight today Batty but it's legit because always send one out a week before you fly, but I will check in here but will have my boarding pass sent to my phone. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:30 pm

I knew my boarding pass was dodgy, cos I don't have a passport, and haven't booked to go anywhere! :D
Batty

Postby Quatermass » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm already cautious about emails claiming to come from banks. In fact, due to circumstances, all the banks 'sending' emails to me are from the UK. They seem to come and go in waves. I delete them as soon as I spot 'em.

This airline one is a disturbing new development. We don't fly often, but even so, this comes just before my mother flys out on holiday. Yeesh. :|
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Return to The Broken Drum