Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

Postby raisindot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
booksherlf

What's one of those, then? ;)

It's the lumpy, tilted, uneven kind of wooden bookshelf that the three-fingered shop teachers used to force me to build in woodworking class. :D
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 pm

I had to build one of those in school and followed my teacher's specifications to the letter. The bloody shelf was too narrow for even the smallest paperback. I eventually used it as a cassette tape rack. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Remind me to correct Bouncys spelling in future :roll: ;)
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Seimimac » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:That sounds like a nightmare, Seimi. And it sounds to me like a fault in design if other people have had the same problem. Maybe that's why they don't make it any more. :?

The only books that were backed up were the ones I purchased through Amazon :?
Seimimac

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:16 pm

From what I understand, if you download from Amazon, it still sits in your account and you can download it again.

But, please, don't quote me!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:From what I understand, if you download from Amazon, it still sits in your account and you can download it again.

Ooops! :oops:
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:From what I understand, if you download from Amazon, it still sits in your account and you can download it again.

But Amazon will not allow you to keep or transfer books or music downloads to someone else.
Bruce Willis is currently taking them to court, as he wants to leave all his downloads to his kids, and Kindle & Apple insist that the downloads purely belong to the account holder who downloaded them, so they cannot be transferred or bequeathed to someone else.
All the books from Seimimac's friend will not be registered to Seimimac's account.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Burn them as a data disc so you have a hard copy to put on your PC then copy them back on to your Kindle. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:17 am

just use your disc that the 15000 ebooks are on and convert them to the right format with an open source program called calibre. not that i personally would use an illegal ebook disc of course :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:23 am

Batty wrote:

But Amazon will not allow you to keep or transfer books or music downloads to someone else.
Bruce Willis is currently taking them to court, as he wants to leave all his downloads to his kids, and Kindle & Apple insist that the downloads purely belong to the account holder who downloaded them, so they cannot be transferred or bequeathed to someone else.
All the books from Seimimac's friend will not be registered to Seimimac's account.

I know. I was talking about legit purchases from Amazon, that you can download again, for your own use, should it be required.

Illegal copies you'll have to swallow the loss.

I think that's a tad mean to Mr Willis, that he won't be able to leave them to his daughters. Then again, are his tastes their tastes?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Del » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:44 am

Tonyblack wrote:

Ooops! :oops:

:laughing-rolling:

I agree with Bruce Willis..... if you buy something you should own it.

And yes Bouncy parents tastes CAN be kids tastes..... you can do it subliminally.... *watch the watch... watch the watch.....*

My kids love what I like.... they would get bored and pick up my books.... they had to listen to my music before they learnt to change the tapes..... AND I have been "educated" to their tastes too.
Last edited by Del on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:46 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:I think that's a tad mean to Mr Willis, that he won't be able to leave them to his daughters. Then again, are his tastes their tastes?

I think that's kind of not the point and suspect this is Bruce making a point that is relevant to this thread. If they had been paper books then there would be no problem whatsoever of him leaving them to his daughters, or giving them to friends, or loaning them or whatever. Digital media says you can't do that. Well why not? If you pay money for something it should be yours to do with as you wish - shouldn't it? :?
Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Of course it should!!
Is it the same for books? If you buy e-books, you can't give them to anybody else? I mean, if you pay for them, they are not yours to do what you want with them?
I mean, it's not like you only pay a rent, you pay to buy! And they're not even cheaper than paper books, they're just the same!
CrysaniaMajere

Postby raisindot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:I think that's a tad mean to Mr Willis, that he won't be able to leave them to his daughters. Then again, are his tastes their tastes?

I think that's kind of not the point and suspect this is Bruce making a point that is relevant to this thread. If they had been paper books then there would be no problem whatsoever of him leaving them to his daughters, or giving them to friends, or loaning them or whatever. Digital media says you can't do that. Well why not? If you pay money for something it should be yours to do with as you wish - shouldn't it? :?

Actually, this isn't true. When you buy digital media you're not buying the media itself--you're buying a LICENSE to use that piece of media on whatever device or devices the licenses allows you. It's the same with software. You're just buying a license to use that software on however many machines the license allows. The license is yours and is generally non-transferable. That's why it's technically illegal to sell copyrighted software (at least here in the States), since it's a violation of copyright laws. The laws on 'possession' of books, printed matter and other 'physical' items with copyrights are different, although it's also illegal to copy books or copy tracks from LPs, records or anything else and make mix tapes or MP3 disks or whatever. Of course, the existence of these laws has been nearly completely ineffective in preventing people from copying and distributing pieces of protected property. The difference with E-books is that Amazon and Apple have ways of building verification into the files themselves to prevent unauthorized copying (or at least identify it when it is occuring).
raisindot

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:02 pm

so you're saying that if I buy a song or an e-book, I don't own it, but I gain permission to put it in my e-reader and keep it there, and probably I can put it in other two or three e-reader because there must be a minimum number of times you can transfer it. What if then I give one of the e-readers to someone else, with everything in it, as a gift? Would that be against the law?

Anyway, I don't like it that you pay the same amount of money but you can't own it. That's not fair. It may be legal, but it's not fair.
CrysaniaMajere

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum