Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:10 pm

Harumph.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:34 pm

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:18 am

:angry-tappingfoot:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Seimimac » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 pm

I got the Kindle Keypad for my birthday in 2010, and it was fantastic! I bought loads of books from Amazon, and searched for free downloads everywhere. I had built up quite a collection, and one night my friend texted to say I should call down as he had something for me - a few books for the Kindle.

More than a few, actually. Over 12,500 e-books! All of the Discworld novels up to that point, all Tolkien, a lot of the old Target Dr. Who books, Douglas Adams...the list went on and on. I was in heaven!

I soon had more than 500 books on my Kindle. Then, one night, when Mrs. Seimimac was out with her friends, I sat down with a glass of wine and switched my Kindle on. The screen was covered in electronic ink! I could see text, but it was streaky, and looked as if the e-ink had run all over the face! I was horrified. I went straight to the Kindle site to see what could be done. There, I read dozens of reviews and comments from people who had had similar experiences. In almost all of them, they praised Kindle Customer Services on how promptly they had sent out a replacement Kindle, no quibbles, no extra cost.

So, I phoned. I got this guy, who asked me all the 'Did you drop it? Did you get it wet? Did you accidentally set it on fire, run over it in the car, then hammer nails through it?' questions. I answered no to all, and was astounded to hear him say that he was very sorry, but the warranty had expired and there was nothing he could do.

I said that the warranty was only up by 2 weeks, and was there anything he could do. He went away, and when he returned, he said that, as I was obviously a good customer, they would replace it with the same model, if I paid £40. I said I wasn't happy with that, as it had been a gift, I hadn't actually broken or damaged it, and the warranty was only just up. He wouldn't back down. I said I would think about it.

The next day, I phoned back and spoke to someone else. They went away and came back with the same offer. I was still unhappy, so they said I could e-mail their bosses, which I did. I got a reply a week or two later, offering the same deal. I wrote back, saying this was very unfair. They wrote back to me, basically saying 'Sorry, but we won't budge.'

I left it for about a month, then wrote again, saying Mrs. Seimimac would prefer to pay the £40, rather than go through all this and me still be without my Kindle. I asked them to send them the details of how she should go about ordering the new device. I also asked, as the Kindle touch was now the same price as my original Kindle had been, would they consider giving me an upgrade?

They wrote back, saying that the model I owned was no longer being produced, therefore they couldn't replace it. I was gutted. However, they continued, in light of how long this had taken to resolve, and how good a customer I had been, they were authourised to deposit in my Amazon account the price of a Kindle Touch! They apologised for the delay and inconvenience :)

It arrived 2 weeks ago, and I'm slowly building up my collection again :)
Seimimac

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Bit of a bummer that, I take it you had not backed up what was on it.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:07 am

That sounds like a nightmare, Seimi. And it sounds to me like a fault in design if other people have had the same problem. Maybe that's why they don't make it any more. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 am

Oh god. I've got a Kindle with the full keypad.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 am

No comment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 am

:evil:

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 am

Hey i'm still waiting on my bookshelf. I've to get my giggles somehow :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 am

If you had a Kindle, you wouldn't need a bookshelf!

[ runs ]

Bouncy Castle

Postby MerlinPowered » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:22 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:If you had a Kindle, you wouldn't need a bookshelf!

[ runs ]

:lol:
MerlinPowered

Postby pip » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:If you had a Kindle, you wouldn't need a bookshelf!

[ runs ]

A booksherlf looks a lot nicer than a kindle :roll:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Seimimac wrote:I got the Kindle Keypad for my birthday in 2010, and it was fantastic! I bought loads of books from Amazon, and searched for free downloads everywhere. I had built up quite a collection, and one night my friend texted to say I should call down as he had something for me - a few books for the Kindle.

More than a few, actually. Over 12,500 e-books! All of the Discworld novels up to that point, all Tolkien, a lot of the old Target Dr. Who books, Douglas Adams...the list went on and on. I was in heaven!

Maybe the royalty gods were enacting divine copyright retribution... :o
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm

booksherlf

What's one of those, then? ;)

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum