Badger Cull

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Badger Cull

Postby Penfold » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 am

Having been listening to the debate on the go-ahead given to free badger shooting on two pilot test sites, I have decided to sign the petition opposing the scheme.

I have listened to the general debate on the subject but what fully swung me was the pro argument where the spokesman said something along the lines that the test sites were not to determine whether destroying badgers would have an effect on cattle contracting bovine TB but whether free shooting was an ethical way of disposing of them. If anyone else wishes to sign the petition, the link is below. :D

http://www.teambadger.org/
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Re: Badger Cull

Postby Dotsie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:39 am

Whilst it's true that badgers can transmit bovine TB, the numbers of carriers are so low that an effective cull would have to wipe them out. Research has shown that wildlife is not an important reservoir of infection, but the idea of culling cattle doesn't sit well with farmers, and if they can save their business by slaughtering any wildlife they come across, why wouldn't they?

FYI, bovine TB has also been isolated from bank voles, moles, etc, etc. I don't want to see our wildlife disappear :(
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am

I think I've got my facts straight here - because of public pressure, the badger cull was abandoned in Wales in favour of vaccination. It's a situation that the farmers aren't happy with, but the public do have a voice and politicians would do well to remember this.

As far as I'm aware the badgers catch the virus from cattle in the first place and unwittingly pass it on. It seems to me that if the TB was eradicated in cattle herds then the badgers couldn't pass it on. Most of the British public would hate the thought of the mass destruction of badgers or any other British wildlife.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 am

Signed!

My friend is very much into this and has protested outsider the Welsh Assembly. Her group did a lot tomake the public aware of this issue and seldom had anyone refusing to sign.

You might have noticed that the petition has been brought by Dr Brian May. Yes, that Brian May of Queen. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:02 pm

As a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, whose mascot is the badger, I wholeheartedly agree with this ban. :D

raisindot

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Different animal but I'm with you all the way Raisindot, I used to live in Mlwaukee :)

American Badger

European Badger
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Signed.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:44 am

Signed. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 am

Thank you all, the number of people who have signed currently stands at 52,545. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby janet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 am

Signed.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Return to The Broken Drum