The collecting bug

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The collecting bug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:01 pm

I have my share of collections. :oops: I used to shop a lot to add to them. Now, it's really rare that I add something and I'm looking at most of them and contemplating letting them go. Just too much stuff here and I'm not attached to most of it anymore.

Here's the (not so?) funny thing. Even though I don't have a lot of interest in adding to my collections, the bug to complete a collection has carried over to the girls' stuff! :shock: :oops: They love the Monster High dolls and I find myself hitting stores and browsing eBay to look for dolls they don't have (different characters, not different versions of characters at least), even if they haven't asked for them. :oops: I'm starting to wonder if the urge will ever completely pass! :lol:

I also cannot resist downloading the pdf files for those Disney 3D papercrafts. I want them all and I want to make them all. However, I completely stink at making them. Even the ones that are created for little kids to put together. :roll: But, I still can't resist "collecting" them.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Re: The collecting bug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:18 pm

I downloaded a few of those Disney papercraft PDFs years ago (I think it was you who pointed them out in the first place! :P ) but I have never gotten around to even printing them off, let alone making them. :lol:

As to your collecting urges - I can understand that. In some ways being a collector gives you the excuse to go hunting. It's why I constantly hunt charity shops and car boot sales. There are one or two things I am looking for, and that's my excuse.

I'm currently looking for obscure Classical music CDs. Yesterday, for example, I found a CD for Cherubini's Requiem for Choir and Orchestra. It was only a pound, so that was ok and I've discovered some really great pieces of music that way. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:49 pm

:lol: Yes! To some degree I think it's definitely the thrill of the hunt. We haven't been to antique stores or flea markets in ages and I miss it. Not only do you get to hunt for something you're looking for, but it's fun to look at all the unexpected things you come across. Although, that sometimes sparks new collecting addictions! :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Catch-up wrote:Although, that sometimes sparks new collecting addictions! :lol:

No comment :roll: :roll: :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Just watching Flog It, and there's a guy brought a silver snuff box (looks brass but silver underneath, no idea of correct name).

Got it at a jumble sale for 1or 10p.

Valuer put £300 reserve, with possibly up to £500.

If it had been hallmarked it could have gone up to a thousand pounds. :shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm

It sold for £300.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:18 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
Catch-up wrote:Although, that sometimes sparks new collecting addictions! :lol:

No comment :roll: :roll: :roll:

You're not alone. That's how I ended up with a display case full of these catwoman/devil girl figurines - don't know what to call them, but I found enough to fill a case! :shock: :oops: :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:It sold for £300.

I would never have that kind of luck.
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:04 pm

I can't remember the details now, but on Antiques Roadshow once someone had bought a plant from a car boot sale for (I think) less than £1 and, once the plant died, they put the pot it was in, in a cupboard under the sink. The pot turned out to be very valuable. I love stories like that. :D

My favourite story though is how I came to own one of the rarest items of Discworld Stamps collectibles. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:26 pm

do tell, you tease you.......

The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:do tell, you tease you.......

Well alright . . . as you asked so nicely. :lol:

Right at the start of the Discworld Stamp issue Harper Collins asked Bernard Pearson for some sets of the stamps to give away as prizes to booksellers in America for the best shop display of Going Postal. Something like 12 sets were put together in individual little brown envelopes and dispatched to the US with a special Harper Collins label signed by Terry himself. This was before LBEs had even been thought of. The competition took place and the prizes were awarded and then forgotten about.

I happened to be talking to Sharlene online and she said that she had an envelope with some stamps in and did I think they'd be worth anything. I seem to recall saying something like - I doubt it. It's just a bit of fun and I doubt it will go anywhere.

And then the whole collecting thing took off and the original Hogswatch first day covers (which I have two of) were exchanging hands for £40 or more. And we still hadn't heard of LBEs.

Eventually it was discovered that hardly any of the original 12 LBEs still existed. Sharlene's one that she won, she sent to me. It contains a full set of the original stamps and (although I don't have it) Bernard told me that one of those sets contained a Blue Triangle Sport!!! :o

I have taken the LBE with me to a few events and it has always been fawned over by Flatalists. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Very nice item, I still have one of the original Hogswatch FDC's but sold my complete sheet of the stamps for £332 for the Shelterbox charity back in 2006.

The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Oh how I dearly regret not buying a sheet of those first Hogswatch stamps. :cry: I do have some singles and the FDC though. And, not too long ago, an incredibly wonderful, generous person gave me an unperforated sheet of them! :D I get all Gollum over that sheet. :oops: :lol:

Always love that story Tony! :D
Catch-up

Return to The Broken Drum