birthday present

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

birthday present

Postby chris.ph » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:33 pm

its my birthday next week and ive no idea wot to get myself so im going to ask for your help( i must be mad), my budget is a hundred quid and i can have anything as long as its not rude, wot are your suggestions :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Re: birthday present

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Are you looking for something to keep or just to treat yourself to something special? If the latter, what about 'best' seats in the house for an event like rugby or a show (or maybe put it towards next years Irish Con.) :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby cheery_j. » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Ooooh! great topic! Can I share it, chris? It's my birthday in about 3 weeks and bf keeps asking what I would like. And I just don't know!!
cheery_j.

Postby chris.ph » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:45 pm

the more the merrier cheery, and i dont care penners really just after ideas matey ;)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Watchman44 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Lot's of Fosters? ;)
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:00 pm

If it was me I'd get a 1TB portable harddrive. I've got a 500 GB one which I use to back up my files, but I'm adding all my CDs to it as MP3 files so i can take it with me when I go to Tucson. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:05 pm

We've an excellent restaurant about 30 miles away which has Sunday cabaret nights and delicious food. I'd book a taxi so I could have a great meal AND a few glasses of wine followed by quality entertainment without having to abstain due to driving home.
Nice problem to have Chris :D
Enjoy your birthday :) :)
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Lots of books? :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby jaznbonnie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:50 pm

The Hogsfather, Colour of Magic and Going Postal DVDs? And some snacks to enjoy while watching them. :D
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby michelanCello » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Tonyblack wrote:If it was me I'd get a 1TB portable harddrive. I've got a 500 GB one which I use to back up my files, but I'm adding all my CDs to it as MP3 files so i can take it with me when I go to Tucson. :D

I got a 2TB one as a graduation present :oops: Very happy with it, though! :D

I hate treating myself to anything, although the BirminghamCon was a pretty big treat ;) I like thinking of presents for others, though...
I like Janet's idea, you could, I don't know, invite your friends and family for a nice dinner together, or go somewhere? A daytrip? A birthday picknick somewhere far away?
Or books, always a good present :P
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Catch-up » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:51 pm

It's really tough when you're not sure what to ask for! Bookstore gift cards? Something Discworldy? The Cunning Artificer's site has lots of fun DW things. A day trip? What is something that you'd like, but wouldn't normally treat yourself to?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby cheery_j. » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:59 pm

So far I like janet's idea best (though I guess I'd rather have something I could keep), because I have the DVDs, just got rid of 7 boxes of books (and people would probably get me the wrong books anyway - I'm difficult!), have one of those backup hard drive thingies and Aunty calls me a beer snob, so Fosters is out of the question. ;) Bookstore gift cards are very sensible (and bf has threatened to give me one this year), but they're so boring...

@ mC: I like finding presents for others, too and I am in heaven when I see that somebody is happy about something I gave them, but I admit that I do like getting presents. :oops:

I was thinking about something pretty for the garden (lawn ornaments, you know), but bf says that's daaaangerous territory, because I can't say what I like, only what I don't like.

This reminds me: a couple of years ago some friends and I talked about how we used to make mix tapes for friends (and ... Friends) back in the 80s and how sad it was that we didn't do that anymore. So I asked people for mixtapes (well, mix CDs really) for my birthday. They were brilliant! Each one was special and typical for the person who made it.
cheery_j.

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Going Postal UK proof copy. The cover is a special one designed by Bernard Pearson and only used on the proof edition of which there were just 727 copies printed. It looks like a parcel with Discworld stamps on it, a very unusual piece of Discworld history.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1367615649&searchurl=an%3Dpratchett%26bsi%3D30%26bt.x%3D63%26bt.y%3D15%26kn%3Dproof
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby pip » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Damn i'm tempted by mads suggestion :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Del » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:08 pm

When I or the girls have a birthday I work the cost of a restaurant into the deal.... though for a cheap meal out here it still costs around $150 for us.

Or a day out. We remember events much more than presents.... though I do have to say they are amazing at choosing presents for me or their sisters. "JUST what I wanted" is what I always hear... and it doesnt mean it has to be expensive. They are just observant. They poke around and find out one has a mascara she loves that is getting low, etc.

CD's of songs are good. Morgan once made me up a Robbie Williams one..... because she noticed I kept replaying the end of "Finding Nemo" where Robbie Williams sang "Sur De Mere" PERFIK!

Heres a tip we practise......

I buy a cheap 50c exercise book.... and give them a marker pen and all the catalogues I can find... they circle or glue in pics of what they want..... rip and glue nothing fancy..... then they add everything they could ever want.... $5000 to $5... or a day out and to where.... at least 20 items no less, usually they can make 30 to 40.

It doesnt mean they will get it all... what it does is show you an idea of what they are wanting.... clothes, or jewellery or books or toys.... and WHAT kind of stuff in those choices they are leaning towards.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Next

Return to The Broken Drum