Win a deck of Convention Cards - Werewolf Q&A/night thread

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Win a deck of Convention Cards - Werewolf Q&A/night thread

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Dead Wizards Don't Wear Well...

... and the Faculty is in uproar so Head Bledlow Mr. McAbre has to call on the Librarian's talents in his capacity as a Watch Special when it appears there's a poisoner on the loose in the UU kitchens.

Someone said it's been a while since we played a game of Werewolf so what better way to win the last 2 2012 Convention decks ever with the usual chaos and the traditional 2 killers, 2 'cops' format (1 investigator and 1 bodyguard). Last 2 people standing (I will concoct a modifier so this situation WILL happen ;) ) will each win a remaining 8 suit deck of Discworld-style playing cards as used at the 2012 Convention (one actually used and the other uncut as a spare set) in their exclusive Convention design boxes.

How it works
As usual, after an initial scene-setting murder intro, there will be one lynching per day phase and one murder each night phase. The two killers - Mazuma, eldest son of Ipslore the Red and legendary Necromancer Ahmed (I just get these Headaches) the Mad.

Usual Gameplay applies

1. The players (who are all suspects as residents of UU) can post on the thread as yourself, sitting at your PC this very moment, reading this.
a) Gawping rules - people who do not want to play may still join in the guessing game fun as Gawpers - so anyone can have a good nosey, but your posts will not be taken into account as part of the game and you cannot get killed or vote to eliminate/lynch any of the players. Just be a good rabble and have a good gossip about what’s going on – cheering or booing is welcomed…

2. 4 players will be assigned a special role (this will be done by PM with instructions on how to play that part) – either as one of the killers or one of the investigator/blockers, BUT you are still an ordinary resident out in the main thread, undercover – in other words nobody else will know who you really with the exception of your partner (if you're a killer) as revealed in your PM.
The roles are all assigned randomly (names out of a hat) so please do not beg to play a certain role…
a) If you are a resident you will not know who anyone else is – you have to figure that out yourselves.
b) If you have a special official role you must not reveal what your secret task or power is (if you have one) unless prompted to do so by the Narrator (Jan)
c) If you are a killer the PM will reveal the identity of your partner wizard, so you can discuss tactics with them – please use PM or other non-posting means of doing this as most convenient for you and your buddy.
Again – please remember that you must NOT reveal your secret ID (if you have one) in your posts

3. Starting with a day phase you will all be on the lookout for a likely suspect (or if you are a killer to divert suspicion away from yourself and/or your partner). Each day all players vote for whomever they wish to accuse of being a killer.
a) You are allowed to change your vote up to THREE times during the day phase if you think you made a mistake (or wish to muddy the waters), or stick to your guns and the person you voted for.
b) Whoever gets the most votes is then lynched and can no longer play an active part in the game (you can be a Gawper then if you like, but you cannot nominate, vote or be killed anymore).
c) In the event of a tie the Narrator will determine who gets whacked by a coin toss or other appropriate method (this cannot be appealed or challenged).
d) You do not have to vote for anyone if you don't want to, but beware of the conclusions that others may draw from this...

4. The night phase begins when the Narrator declares that no more voting can take place. (a deadline will have been set for this) and confirms the elimination of one of the players (and their secret ID if appropriate). All the players seemingly go home to bed and do not post or communicate in the game thread until the next day phase.
The Narrator then prompts the players allowed to have night-time activity to PM her.
Nobody may post in the game thread until the next day phase starts - you have been warned!
a) the killers decide off-thread who they want to kill (remember they cannot post) and then PM the Narrator with their choice of victim.
b) players with blocking powers or other tasks will also be asked to PM the Narrator to state whom they wish to be the subjects of their investigation/protection etc
Once all the special role decisions and actions are over the Narrator then updates the story for the next day by revealing the next victim(s) of the two hunter-killers and any other events that may have happened during the night phase.

5. And so on – with everyone majority voting off one person during the day phase (into safe custody) and the killers selecting one more victim every night phase until we get down to either the citizens imprisoning all the killers (in which case the residents have won) or the other way when all the residents are dead – so the killers win.

Sign ups in this thread and then when we start we'll use this one as the night phase chat thread

Will aim to start the game at 3pm GMT on Thursday 6th September (provided we have 7 or more sign ups by then)
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Re: Win a deck of Convention Playing Cards - playing Werewol

Postby raisindot » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:56 pm

Given my poor luck in past versions of this game, I would normally avoid this like Lady and Baron Von Uberwald avoid a b-a-t-h but since Pooh isn't running it (and thus changing the rules as he sees fit) and I must win of these fabulous decks of playing cards at any cards, please can count me in.
raisindot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:23 pm

Count me in too! :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:15 pm

raisindot wrote:Given my poor luck in past versions of this game, I would normally avoid this like Lady and Baron Von Uberwald avoid a b-a-t-h but since Pooh isn't running it (and thus changing the rules as he sees fit) and I must win of these fabulous decks of playing cards at any cards, please can count me in.

There will be modifiers - :whistle: but only to ensure we get down to the last two people standing for a fully conclusive ending ;)

You'll still be able to get the generic cards with a different back design in a thread coming soon, but the Convention livery is being retired now so from that PoV these'll be pretty unique as there's only 2 other sets 'out there' that were made for the Dice Box. :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Thank you, thank you! :bow-yellow: I was soooo missing these games! Count me in! I wish Willem'd join, otherwise I won't have anyone to vote for :P

By the way, I already have a pack of cards, so should I win (most unlikely) someone else can have them :)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:26 pm

I think those ones I sent you ages ago haven't got the Convention back design have they mC? :doh:

Anyway we'll see how it goes and sort it out then ;)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Willem » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:36 pm

I'm in! Thanks for the heads up MC :)

PS It was Sjoerd wot done it.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 pm

Um...Whenever I read you guys play this I get very confused :oops: .Is it actually hard or is it simpler than it seems?
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby michelanCello » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:58 pm

ShadowNinjaCat wrote:Um...Whenever I read you guys play this I get very confused :oops: .Is it actually hard or is it simpler than it seems?

A lot simpler, Shadow ;) It's just accusing random people of murder, especially when you're the killer :lol: Can give you a tough time if you want to win, but just for the fun of it it's really simple ;) The hard part is where you don't know whom to trust... :shifty:

(It was Willem all along! :P )
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:11 pm

I'll give it a go this time then. Please don't hit me with the stick if I forget a rule, just a sharp poke with suffice. :P
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby SimStars13 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:07 am

Count me in as well :)
"Martin! I thought we sold you"

DFTBA
SimStars13

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:32 am

Me!Me too!!!
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:25 am

I never done nuffin! :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 am

In every film, that's what every man in prison says :lol:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:00 pm

It's v. easy to get the hang of Shadow ;) The last game we played was Solstice Saskwidge and hopefully we'll have a fair few people joining in this time so it'll be good fun.

It's a kind of 'needle in a haystack hunt' elimination game where everyone's potentially under suspicion and the killers (just two of them) try to evade being bumped out during the active 'day' phases. Once the majority vote for one person they're eliminated (by lynching or imprisonment but as this is UU dead man's shoes is the way to go... :P ). Then the game goes into a night phase with no posting as everyone's asleep - except for the killers who choose their next victim (possibly the person who's getting too close to their trail). So as the game goes you lose one person in each phase and the winners are the last 2 people standing - if one of those people is a killer then they've won the game overall because the other person/resident is obviously the next victim :D

And we have 7 player/suspects already - :mrgreen:

Raisindot
Sjoerd
mC
Willem
ShadowNinjaCat
SimStars
Crysania Majere

Plenty of room for more people to join in and just to whet your appetites here's some more info on the killers and how this games 'modifier' will work so we get down to 2 survivors :twisted:

Achmed 'I just get these headaches' the Mad - Hailing from Klatch, Achmed is one of the greatest necromancers ever. However, he's a hopeless coffee addict and spends most of his time knurd hence 'the Mad' honorific (although he prefers to be known as 'the I just get these headaches'.

Mazuma - eldest son of Ipslore the Red, with the help of Achmed he has recently retrieved his father's octiron staff that his youngest brother Coin abandoned at the end of Sourcery and is now aiming at Archchancellorship in the most time-honoured wizardly tradition as he never studied at UU.

The way this will work (to ensure that we reach 2 survivors) is that any time a killer is lynched it will be Mazuma - Achmed will then raise him from the dead in the following night phase by means of choosing another 'body' for Mazuma's spirit to inhabit. In practical terms this means that the cops and residents will know they've found a killer (who will generally exit the game in the next day phase if the investigator cop finds their ID out) but someone else will automatically take his/her place as Achmed will always remain in play. Whenever Mazuma goes out I'll draw another resident name from the hat and that person will be introduced to their new partner in crime during the next night phase.

For newcomers to the games - don't worry you can talk to me off-thread on what you have to do and to discuss tactics but the main gameplay for everyone is to defend your right to stay in the game while trying to find out who's the best person to accuse. People who're playing killers and cops need to conceal that role for as long as they can so they can eliminate the true killers a.s.a.p OR target a certain person during the day phases by getting them lynched. :shock: :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Next

Return to Games