Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld fanfiction

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:04 pm

I randomly decided to read discworld fanfiction on fanfiction.net

and I found the most scary parings on there :S

Vimes and vetinari...yes VETINARI!

vimes and carrot! (:O)

susan and teatime :/

i was most disturbed...and I accidentialy stumbled upon a graffic vimes and vietnari one

I am scared I tell you :lol:

Whats everyones opinion on this? I mean I like fanfics but I was rather worried by those pairings :lol:

X Nat
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:08 pm

:lol: Some people are just nuts! :lol:

It makes you wonder what sort of fantasy world they live inside their heads.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:09 pm

agreed. Hwo would possibly consider vetinari and anyone? let alone vimes...vimes gay? soemhow i think not :?
~
the assassins guild?
nattheweirdo

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:15 pm

And part of the mystery of Vetinari is that his lovelife - if he has one - is unknown. I say keep it that way. :P
Tonyblack

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:16 pm

vetinari doing anything other than glaring at someone is a strange thought :P
~
the assassins guild?
nattheweirdo

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:21 am

Tonyblack wrote:And part of the mystery of Vetinari is that his lovelife - if he has one - is unknown. I say keep it that way. :P

AMEN... So Mote It Be!.... Aargh, and in the words of Moist's thoughts "Look, he said to his imagination, if this is the way you're going to behave, I Shan't bring you again." Ahem.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby chris.ph » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:49 am

i thought vetinari had an affair with the vampire duchess that was in damn wots the werewolve book god its to early for this brain hasnt booted up yet :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:38 am

chris.ph wrote:i thought vetinari had an affair with the vampire duchess that was in damn wots the werewolve book god its to early for this brain hasnt booted up yet :)
The Fifth Elephant. And we never actually know what they got up to, although a lot of people speculate. I've even seen (on another board) a heated arguement that Vetinari is a vampire himself. :roll:

No, as far as we know, Vetinari spent some time with Lady Margolotta and they play Thud! via the Clacks, but it's never mentioned for certain what, if anything, they got up to. :D
Tonyblack

Re: Discworld fanfiction

Postby Cheery » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:36 am

nattheweirdo wrote:I randomly decided to read discworld fanfiction on fanfiction.net

and I found the most scary parings on there :S

Vimes and vetinari...yes VETINARI!

vimes and carrot! (:O)

susan and teatime :/

i was most disturbed...and I accidentialy stumbled upon a graffic vimes and vietnari one

I am scared I tell you :lol:

Whats everyones opinion on this? I mean I like fanfics but I was rather worried by those pairings :lol:

X Nat

I just absulutely hate it when people do that :? That's not fanfiction anymore, that's a joke. I see why Sir Terry doesn't like fanfics...
Either they have a very, very strange imagination or they are totally nuts! :lol:
Vetinari and Vimes gay? Not in a million years and not in any known universe!
Cheery

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Didn't Sir Terry start out writing fanfic himself? He was a huge fan of Arthur C Clarke I think and that got him heavily into sci-fi when he was young. I don't think he is against fanfic, just certain 'forms' and even if he was it'd still get written.

It takes all sorts as we know and adults will be adults :twisted:

I don't 'do' Discworld fanfic at all (I would never be as good as Terry so I just enjoy reading him) but I do LotR adult as the dear ole Prof left a ton of holes in the 'back history' aka The Silmarillion and more truthfully as Unfinished Tales and so they almost demand 'filling'. Slash isn't everyone's cup of Darjeeling (if you don't know the definition it's Vimes with Vetinari and almost without question about consenting adults, which is of course legal in most cultures now...) but if you skim the 'offensive' parts its actually quite beautiful even tender, reason possibly being that the form is mostly written by women oddly... :lol:

One of my regular writing partners (strictly hetero for me) does slash really well and once you get over the 'Ewww' factor it's really intriguing to write on the underlying nuance of friendships such as Aragorn and Legolas and I really love one story they did about teaching a 15 year old Aragorn how to use a bow like an Elf - not a whiff of full on eroticism, but full of loving care and empathy.

In contrast my current fanfic passion has recently had to be booted into the adult sector of the new site because I'm 'exploring' how Morgoth and Sauron 'made' orcs and whilst I previously just about got away with infanticide and marital rape and murder, turning my heroine into a serial baby (orc) killer and corpse abuser went a little too far over the traces :oops:

As a piece of writing it wasn't 'Kill Bill' graphic, nor too gratuitous and fully justifiable within the storyline. So what's sicker huh? A loving same sex relationship or all out horror and genetic perversion? :twisted:

2nd thought edit ~ Just to be 'clear' the corpse abuse had nothing whatsoever to do with necrophilia but a lot to do with vengeance, anger and abandonment.
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:53 pm

My understanding of Terry's view of fanfic is that he's not against it, he just doesn't read it. He's made that perfectly clear I think for legal reasons.

If someone writes a fanfic with a certain plot and then Terry writes a book that coincidentally has a similar plot, there's no way (as he doesn't read fanfic) that he can be accused of stealing someone else's idea.

I'm pretty sure that I remember him mentioning that there was a case where a so-called fan tried to sue an author for 'stealing' an idea written in a fan fic.

I think he's wise to avoid things like that. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:39 pm

So there'll never be a Vimes/Vetinari storyline then? Phew!

Where ever there's fanfic there's homoerotic fanfic. I understand there's plenty out there regarding Kirk & Spock :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Dotsie wrote:
Where ever there's fanfic there's homoerotic fanfic. I understand there's plenty out there regarding Kirk & Spock :shock:
That's illogical. :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:10 pm

Eh? Damn right!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:39 pm

It's the pointy ears that do it I think - that or the possibly fatal hormonal surges when they go through the thingumajig every 7 years - pon farr :shock:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Next

Return to The Broken Drum