My boy Sam

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

My boy Sam

Postby KingConan87 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 pm

I don't know if this post will ever reach the ears or eyes of Mr. Pratchett. I have probably made fewer than 5 internet posts ever in my life as I don't tend to go in for this sort of thing much but here goes...

My little boy Sam is now 8 weeks old and I say with absolute pride that he is named after Samuel Vimes.
Samuel Vimes is a character who I absolutely adore, his righteous indignation at the fact that the bad guys win every day, that they think they can get away with it and his desire to pull them into the light and tell them in no uncertain terms "Not on my watch sunshine" keeps the inner fires of my own anger to make the world a slightly less kakky place for my son burning.

His grasp of the human condition is practically an education in itself and for anyone who has the misfortune of reading certain newspapers or even just listening to the opinions of most people one that is easily shown to be true.

As an aspiring writer Terry himself is an inspiration to me. I only hope that one day when I finish my book Terry will give it the thumbs up.

So, now that that little gush is over I must go check on little Sam and look forward to the day I get to introduce him to the much loved and slightly tattered pages that contain his namesake.

Cheers Terry, and wherever you are in the multiverse cheers to you as well your Grace.

-Jack
KingConan87

Re: My boy Sam

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Welcome to the site, Jack! :D

We have no idea whether Terry visits this site - he's never told us that he does, but you never know. ;)

It sounds to me like you need to get a copy (if you haven't already) of Where's My Cow. It's never too early to indoctrinate new Pratchett fans. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 am

Sam was one of the top choices for my Baby as well , who's now nearly three months but we went with Harry instead.
Tony's right. Its never too early to start on DW . Where's my Cow is great fun to read a baby :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum Jack - what better role model could you have chosen for Sam? :D

One would hope (rather than assume) that some day a prominent politician of child-bearing years will name their child Havelock... :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Welcome to the forum,from me too. :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me too Jack. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Penfold wrote:Hellooo and welcome from me too Jack. :D

What he said!
spideyGirl

Return to Terry Pratchett