Schiphol airport evacuated over 'WWII bomb'

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Schiphol airport evacuated over 'WWII bomb'

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:09 am

Part of Amsterdam's Schiphol airport has been closed after a suspected World War II bomb was discovered, a spokeswoman said.

The departure hall serving most European destinations has been evacuated as a precautionary measure.

Delays are now affecting some departures and passengers are advised to check their flights before leaving for the airport.

A bomb disposal team is trying to establish whether the device is live.

The bomb was uncovered by workers digging near Pier C, which connects the main plaza with Departure Hall One, serving most destinations within Europe's 26-country passport-free Schengen zone.

"This will have a big impact. We can park planes somewhere else to some extent but at some point it will lead to cancellations or delays," the spokeswoman said earlier, according to Reuters news agency.

Schiphol was used as a military airfield by Nazi Germany during the 1939-45 war, and was often attacked by allied bombers, Dutch media said.

It is now one of Europe's busiest airports, handling some 48 million passengers every year.

Unexploded bombs dating back to the war are still frequently discovered in Europe.

A 550lb (250kg) American bomb was detonated by a bomb disposal team in the German city of Munich on Tuesday.

A 1.5-tonne mortar bomb probably fired by Nazi forces was also safely removed from the Polish capital, Warsaw.

:shock: And still they keep rising to the surface.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Schiphol airport evacuated over 'WWII bomb'

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 am

Yikes! :shock:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby michelanCello » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:46 am

Thank you, thank you thank you, Universe that I didn't miss my flight yesterday! :bow-yellow: Poor people who had to travel today... :?
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Makes the keys/luggage thing seem a bit better now!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm

I was going to post this in the headlines that made you speechless thread, but it fits this here much better:

news on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19400974
pictures of after the explosion: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/bombenfund-in-schwabing-weltkriegs-blindgaenger-kontrolliert-gesprengt-1.1452853

I live in an area where you more or less expect a car marked 'bomb squad' turning up at building sites (only last week they had to evacuate about 4000 people about 2 kilometers away from where I live - and 600 metres from my old flat - because a bomb had been found on a site and had to be defused), but the one in the link was extra scary because in the end they had to explode the bomb right in the centre of Munich, instead of defusing it. :o :?
cheery_j.

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Do all those poor people have to pay to have new windows, or is there some sort of government payout to cover it?

Bouncy Castle

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:33 pm

I wondered about that, too. Especially when I saw the picture of that destroyed shop. I don't think anybody's insurance covers bomb explosions.
cheery_j.

Postby michelanCello » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Makes the keys/luggage thing seem a bit better now!

Right you are!
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 pm

BBC:

A passenger plane was forced to land at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport and boarded by Dutch forces amid fears of a hijacking that proved unfounded.

Dutch F-16 fighters were scrambled to intercept the aircraft, en route from Malaga, Spain.

Once it landed at Schiphol it was boarded by armed security forces who discovered the false alarm.

A miscommunication between the pilot and the control tower reportedly triggered the confusion.

"There was never any danger. There was a lack of communication between the pilot and the tower and the airport has activated the security protocol," a spokeswoman for Spanish carrier Vueling told Reuters news agency.

Dutch broadcaster NOS spoke to a passenger who said the situation on board had been "calm".

It was the second drama at the airport on Wednesday.

Earlier, part of Schiphol was closed and flights delayed after a suspected World War II bomb was discovered by workers digging near Pier C, which connects the main plaza with Departure Hall One.

Blimey. It's all happening at Schiphol. You were very lucky you travelled yesterday, mC.

Bouncy Castle

Postby michelanCello » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes, I know - thank you, thank you :pray:

I have my luggage, just arrived! :D :dance:
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Yay! Well done Schipol for getting it back to you despite all the kerfuffle during the day

(((((hugs to chili, Dotsie & Muppet)))))
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby cheery_j. » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:58 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Do all those poor people have to pay to have new windows, or is there some sort of government payout to cover it?

The city of Munich said they were not going to pay anything since they did the best they could to safe lives.
Most insurance policies don't seem to cover destructions caused by war (and a 70 year old bomb exploding counts as such), however one insurance already said that ways might be found.

Well, most people will be happy that it's only the windows. After the explosion they had to wait until experts had checked if their hoses were still save to live in! Imagine owning a house in the centre of one of the most expensive cities in the country (i.e. a house worth millions) and suddenly being homeless!
cheery_j.

Postby wicked woman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:12 am

Seems unfair, everyone is scrambling to pretend it's nothing to do with them and the property owners are left with a large bill. Typical insurance companies though. :twisted:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 am

Just goes to prove that insurance companies are bastards whatever country you are in.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:37 am

Isn't that the truth.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Next

Return to The Broken Drum