The watch tv series

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The watch tv series

Postby shawbizzle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Does anyone know if the proposed Watch tv series is still going ahead? Can't seem to find much news on it since the news broke in March 2011.
“You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look.”
shawbizzle

Re: The watch tv series

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi shawbizzle and welcome back!

I haven't heard anything recently about the series. :?

Hope you don't mind me moving this thread to the TV, Movies and Theatre Forum. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby shawbizzle » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 pm

No problem on moving it - it makes sense. I should have put it in here in the first place!

I was looking forward to the series. Think it would be a better format than the Sky1 specials.
“You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look.”
shawbizzle

Postby Molokov » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:55 am

When it was announced it was made pretty clear that Good Omens would be coming first. Considering that's still in the scripting stage, it is going to be quite some time before The Watch hits our screens. I'm betting at least 2 years.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Might as well make a movie :?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:04 am

:doh:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Jason » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:33 am

Ok, update on this from the con. Originally the Watch was going to be created by a company called Prime Focus. This has now changed with the creation of a new production company called Narrativia. The company consists of Terry Pratchett, Rob Wilkins, Rod Brown (producer), Guy Burt (head writer) and Rhianna Pratchett (writer). The new company has obtained the rights back. They are at the very early stages of two projects: Good Omens and The Watch. The Watch series will take place some time after Snuff (though the line they drew in the sand appears to be moving) and will consist of 13 episodes per season - the guys are planning on at least five seasons. The budget for the first season is £26 million. The plan is to build part of Ankh-Morpork for season one, and then for each consecutive season add to it to expand the city giving it a more geographical feel. The Watch series will be cannon, if a member of the watch dies in the tv series Terry will not having them in future books etc. Of course being dead is not always a problem on Discworld.

The series will have an overall story ark and individual, for want of a better word, crimes of the week.

The team have three new characters so far and will use them to introduce us to the series. The new characters are new recruits to the Watch so we will learn with them. It will of course keep the existing Watch so expect to see Vimes, Carrot etc. One of the new characters is Igorina who is the forensics expert and the team have had great fun working out how forensics might work on Discworld.

A proper press release is due in a few weeks time. But this all sounds very exciting.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:58 am

Sounds good. :)
Tonyblack

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:08 am

Can't wait! :D
spideyGirl

Postby pip » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:11 am

Cheers Jason. Sadly sounds like we'll be waiting :cry:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 am

I'm not getting my hopes too high - we've been down this road many times before. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 am

Bizarre.

I dreamed this morning that there was a news report on the radio, asking for people to turn up to be extras for The Watch.

:shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jason » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 am

I think it's mostly down to funding now. Guy Burt whose other credits include an episode of The Borgias is a huge Discworld fan. Apparently Terry tested him by asking Guy what is the name of Granny Weatherwax's cat. He immediately answered "You" much to Terry's surprise. Turns out Guy Burt has been reading the books for years - he said this was his dream job. Apparently when Rod Brown asked Guy's agent if he would be interested, she replied, jokingly, that Guy would assassinate anybody else who applied for the job to make sure he got it.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby pip » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am

Still take nuffin for granted. I'll believe it when i'm sitting watching it.
Or acting as an extra alongside Bouncy :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:48 am

:mrgreen:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre