The Audio Books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Audio Books

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri May 18, 2012 7:06 pm

I have all of the Briggs audiobooks on a USB stick which is plugged into my car so I can listen to them whilst on long journeys. Although at the moment I'm working my way through all the Hitch-hikers guide radio series.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby wildvet » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi.
I first listened to Good Omens, and naturally got hungry for more, so I listened to the rest of the TP Audiobooks. Since English is not my mother tongue, I prefer Nigel Planer to Stephen Briggs, who speaks very fast at times so I had to rewind several times.
Tony Robinson however, is unbearable to me, and the woman's voice bores me. It would be indeed a wonderful thing if all books would be read unabridged by either Nigel Planer or Stephen Briggs.
I wonder if there was a way to suggest this to Mr. Pratchett or Mr. Briggs?
wildvet

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi wildvet, I think that only two are by Celia Imrie and that is Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters, in the actual Discworldbooks and that is bearable for me, I don't like Tony Robinson but they are abridged only which I don't buy.

In the Science of Discworld narrated by Michael Fenton Stevens and Stephen Briggs which I like, The Long Earth is also narrated by Michael Fenton Stevens and he is good.

And welcome to the foum.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 pm

I kinda liked Celia. I think it worked being that those two books are female centric. honestly at the time i thought they were going to keep alternating authors, but then I never heard her again. I liked that Nigel still did the voice of death in her books. I always prefered his death to any of the others.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby nitelyechos » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:28 pm

when will the science of discworld audiobook be available in the united states?
I can't find any websites that I can buy it from since i don't live in the uk.
nitelyechos

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Welcome to the site, nitelyechos! :)

I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid. I wasn't even aware that it was available in the UK. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:46 pm

OK - a little further checking and I see that it's available to download as an audiobook from Audible.co.uk.

I don't know how this system works, but I am assuming that from Audible you can download the audiobook as MP3 files rather than taking delivery of CDs. If that's the case, shouldn't you be able to download it from whatever country you are in? :?

Does anyone know how Audible works?
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi nitelyechos,
I use Audible UK they are are part of the Amazon Group,I have downloaded the two science of discworld AUDIO BOOKS and very good they are too,hoping it's not too long for the third to come out.
And welcome to the forum.

CLICK the link below they are the USA SITE.
http://www.amazon.com/Science-Discworld ... +pratchett
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby nitelyechos » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:11 pm

I tried .uk but all i get is this message:

"We're sorry. Due to publishing rights restrictions, we are not authorized to sell this item in the country where you live."

and it's not on the US site yet, but I hope it will eventually...
nitelyechos

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:47 pm

:( Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it soon,
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:58 pm

This is what you get when you click the link in the previous post for the American site.http://www.amazon.com/Science-Discworld ... +pratchett < USA SITEThe Science of Discworld II: The Globe [Unabridged] [Audible Audio Edition]
by Terry Pratchett (Author), Ian Stewart (Author), Jack Cohen (Author), Michael Fenton Stevens (Narrator), Stephen Briggs (Narrator)
4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (11 customer reviews)

At Audible.com, you can choose to download any of 100,000+ audiobooks and more, and listen on your Kindle™, iPhone®, iPod®, Android™, or 500+ MP3 players. Now, on any Wi-Fi enabled Kindle, you do more than just listen—you can also browse and download Audible Audiobooks.
Your Amazon-exclusive Audible.com 30-day free trial membership includes:
• This audiobook free, plus a bonus audiobook of your choice
• 30% off any additional audiobooks you purchase
• A free daily audio subscription to The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal
• Members-only sales and promotions
Learn more about your trial membership at Audible.com
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:18 pm

have you heard any audio issues with the audible stuff you got? how clean are the tracks? some of the DW ones i have have the "this is audible" thing at the beginning, but the actual book will sound like a no so good recording off an audio cassette.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:53 pm

All the MP3 downloads have been good quality, there is an enhanced sound option you can use.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:12 pm

raptornx01 wrote:have you heard any audio issues with the audible stuff you got? how clean are the tracks? some of the DW ones i have have the "this is audible" thing at the beginning, but the actual book will sound like a no so good recording off an audio cassette.

I think a great many of the Audible downloads are conversions of the original cassettes or CDs to MP3 files, and Audible doesn't always do good QC on them. One of the ones I have (can't remember which book) clearly has a cue at the beginning of a section that says something like "Begin CD 3."

I've also found that in many books (particularly the Briggs' readings) you often can tell the differences between recording sessions. Certain passages will suddenly be louder than others, or his voice will be more or less resonant, or his reading speed will speed up or slow down a little.

Who's Wee Dug wrote:All the MP3 downloads have been good quality, there is an enhanced sound option you can use.

Are you talking about the "larger file" versions? Yes, you can download these but if you're limited on disk space be careful; these files can be 7-8 times larger than the 'regular' MP3, and I've never really heard that much of a difference in sound quality (after all, what are you listening to? One man reading a book. A pretty limited bandwidth).
raisindot

Postby Hellblazer1138 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:26 pm

I must be one of the few people who prefers Nigel Planer to Stephen Briggs. Besides doing the best job with the Witches books and all the troll characters, his voices for Nobby Nobbs & Fred Colon are far superior to Briggs'.
And personally, I thought Planer did a better job with Carrot than Briggs. I always assumed he was supposed to sound a little stupid. Briggs' voice for him is too stiff for my tastes. I have to admit his voice for Vimes is better.
One last complaint: for some reason the way Briggs says Ankh-Morpork bothers me. Trivial I know.
Hellblazer1138

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels