The 2012 International Sweetie Exchange

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The 2012 International Sweetie Exchange

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 pm

still counts :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raisindot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm game--raisindot, Boston, MA. We've still got a few candy manufacturers left around here. Necco wafers, anyone? :D
raisindot

Postby chris.ph » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It doesn't have to be sweeties. Any local delicacy will do. Laverbread anyone? :lol:

i love laverbread with salty bacon ,cockles and fried bread :D

swansea has the swansea mix which is a mixture of a large number of hard boiled sweets, everyone is lovely except the clove one which they sneak in as a surprise :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby jaznbonnie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:44 am

Jaznbonnie in Napa, California. We've got a choice of Jelly Bellies from nearby Fairfield or Ghiradelli Chocolate from San Francisco. :D
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby jtrhoades » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:30 am

Cleveland OH here, not sure there's anything cheap around here that you can't just get anywhere.

We have the Malley's chocolates factory here, I am uncertain as to the quality though as I try to avoid American chocolate usually.
Lake Erie is wonderful for freshwater fish, but they don't exactly ship well.
We invented stadium mustard, which is pretty good if you like spicy brown mustard.
We have local maple syrup, but Vermont's is better, and local honey, but Oregon has better.
Bob Evans started locally, but most of what they're known for wouldn't ship well either.
Oh, and the Amish, we have a lot of them, they make some damn good baby swiss cheese, very mild and creamy.

Most of the best stuff we have is wonderful fresh produce, and similar perishables, which sadly wouldn't last the trip to the UK even if they were to make it through customs :(
jtrhoades

Postby Selkie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 am

I'm in if you'll let me!

Selkie - Shetland.

Puffin Poo, anyone? Nicer than it sounds :)

jtrhoades wrote:Cleveland OH here, not sure there's anything cheap around here that you can't just get anywhere.

Even the stuff that's normal to you is exotic to for'n people, like Almond M&Ms or Reeses PB Cups, American candy is not common in the UK.
Selkie

Postby Seimimac » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:14 am

Selkie wrote:I'm in if you'll let me!

Selkie - Shetland.

Puffin Poo, anyone? Nicer than it sounds :)

jtrhoades wrote:Cleveland OH here, not sure there's anything cheap around here that you can't just get anywhere.

Even the stuff that's normal to you is exotic to for'n people, like Almond M&Ms or Reeses PB Cups, American candy is not common in the UK.

There are shops in Belfast selling Reese's PB Cups, Reese's Pieces and Hershey Bars. Must try some some day, but I'm not a big chocolate/sweet/candy person...
Seimimac

Postby Leia Tortoise » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:50 am

Oh, I've had a very good idea to come and see today what's up there, for once!

I'd be glad to be in :D

Leia Tortoise - Limoges, France

How goes the exchange exactly? We're currently doing the list, and then Tony attributes sender and receivers randomly, right?
French fans community - english welcome - (news, activities, etc) : Le Vade-mecum!
Leia Tortoise

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Leia! Great to see you again. :D

What I will do is make a list of all who want to take part and their countries. People can then contact whoever they want and do as many or as few exchanges as they feel their finances, teeth and waistlines can stand. ;)

For now we are seeing how many people are interested. I will compile the list over the next few days.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby jtrhoades » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:53 am

Selkie wrote:...

No Reese's? :O

That being said, I mostly was talking about the US, as in trading with myself vs. any other random US resident wouldn't get you much different in the way of available trade options.

FYI if you like Resee's, wait till around Easter and have someone get you the Reese's eggs, they're even better than the cups.

Seimimac wrote:...

There are shops in Belfast selling Reese's PB Cups, Reese's Pieces and Hershey Bars. Must try some some day, but I'm not a big chocolate/sweet/candy person...

Skip the Hershey bar... they're awful.
Reese's stuff is quite good though.
jtrhoades

Postby Selkie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Ok, maybe I lied about the Reese's - we can even get PB Cups or Pieces here occasionally! But it is occasional and they are scrummy. They are one of the very few US sweeties I know which is why I put them in. Perhaps now I've woken up a bit I should have said Charleston Chews (my mum's favourite ;) ) And Hershey's are totally vile!

I assumed because the thread title said international that we would be posting abroad which is why I was saying that your 'ordinary' is someone else's 'exotic' :)
Selkie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Selkie wrote:
I assumed because the thread title said international that we would be posting abroad which is why I was saying that your 'ordinary' is someone else's 'exotic' :)

Yes. There's not too much point in exchanging with people in the same country - unless you have a local delicacy. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Great idea! :D

Sjoerd3000, The Netherlands
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Toothy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 pm

With a moniker like Toothy, I've just go to be in, haven't I? ;) London area but can get hold of things like Leonidas, Lindt and a few other European choccies as they're becoming increasingly popular in UK supermarkets. Oh and Neuhaus (my favourite chocs). They've got shops in the UK, too.

I agree about Heshey bars - taste like vomit to me! I once hear it's something to do with the milk. Also US sweets tend to be too sugary for other palates, but I like the sound of Reece's (never had them before).

If anyone from New Zealand is willing to join in, I'd be begging some Whittaker's peanut slab which is simply to die for! *drools* :D
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum