Hobbies.......what do you do in your spare time?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Hobbies.......what do you do in your spare time?

Postby chillicamper » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 am

Apart from reading TP, what other things do you like doing? When i am not sitting at a desk earning money to pay the bills, I like to ........

work on the camper (did I mention I had a camper? :whistle: :lol: ). Engine and gearbox came out last year for a rebuild :shock:

I enjoy wood carving, but never seem to get enough time to get things finished! :oops:

this one is finished :D

This one isn't.... :(

I also enjoy pyrography - wood burning

beer o'clock

plaques

and other stuff like this

and this

Getting all patriotic

So come on then.........what are your hobbies?
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Re: Hobbies.......what do you do in your spare time?

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:49 am

Nothing so creative as you! I like being an amateur geologist, but Mr Dotsie not so keen on me leaving rocks lying around the house :? Much of what I do in my spare time is the same as what I do for my job, but I really enjoy it :oops:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Adie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 am

I plan how i'm going to modify my car when i have some money, attempt to cross stitch, and spend a fair bit of time at the gym doing weights and pole dancing classes.
Adie

Postby wicked woman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:18 am

Those are great chilli. I go on the forum and trawl the net.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby ChristianBecker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:24 am

Well, apart from reading TP I like reading science magazines, browse several fora, play computer games (mainly Diablo II atm, or the Discworld MUD), play the guitar (not very well). Sometimes I tinker with some webdesign. Not sure if it counts as a hobby, though.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby michelanCello » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:44 am

Chilli, those are beautiful! :D

My free (not-study) time mainly consists of cello playing - individually, in an orchestra ( two, actually) or just with others... I'm just an enthousiastic amateur, really, but I couldn't imagine my life without it. :)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 am

Dotsie wrote:Nothing so creative as you! I like being an amateur geologist, but Mr Dotsie not so keen on me leaving rocks lying around the house :? Much of what I do in my spare time is the same as what I do for my job, but I really enjoy it :oops:

You cuddle bunnies for a job? :shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tiffany » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 am

I guess my hobby, apart from reading books, is pen pal letter writing, free hand, not typed or email. My handwriting does leave a lot to be desired, :D but as I have had pen pals from all over the World, for many years, I guess they are used to my writing & can decipher it OK by now. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Catch-up » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:33 pm

My hobbies recently seem to be following in my girls' footsteps. :D Over the last few years I've been working to make regular exercise a part of my life, but doing the treadmill and exercises can get boring, even if you try to change things up. So, I've tried horseback riding (English dressage) where Thing 1 rides. Fun, but to be honest I stink at it! Just did a couple lessons and I fell off the second time. :oops: Plan on trying it again though! I joined a dance class after watching all of the performers in the show Thing 2 was in with her class. One of them was an African dance and it was amazing! Just stunning and beautiful, so I signed up, much to my body's dismay. I love it! And I even learned a Samba and did it in a parade, which is waaayy outside my comfort zone. I tried ice skating for the first time and was shocked to discover that I was pretty good at it. And now I'm trying karate where Thing 2 used to take classes. The jury is still out on that one, but I like it so far.

Before all that, and still, I love working with our family photos. I occasionally work on scrapbooks, do photobooks of trips, sometimes try something artsy with our photos. I want to start working with all the videos we have and get them edited and burned on DVDs, so that's a future hobby.

Chili, love the things you've made! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 pm

My only real hobby (aside from reading and playing video games) is writing. I'm currently working on one book for the TP Prize, and another one. A third is on the back burner before I come back to revise it.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Nothing so creative as you! I like being an amateur geologist, but Mr Dotsie not so keen on me leaving rocks lying around the house :? Much of what I do in my spare time is the same as what I do for my job, but I really enjoy it :oops:

You cuddle bunnies for a job? :shock:

I wish! :lol: I think he does too, he's very greedy for affection :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Gaming a bit, but lately i've been working on video editing projects. recently i got hold of Source Filmmaker and have been messing around with that, learning how things work and have a few projects i've been working on. and because of that i've had to get Blender, a computer animation and 3d model builder (since SFM doesn't have everything i need.) but i know less about that than SFM. all are WIPs.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:50 pm

I didn't understand a word of that!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:10 pm

You lost me at "lately" :lol:
Dotsie

Postby jaznbonnie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Other than reading, I enjoy crochet, beading, cross-stitch, embroidery, travel, hiking, and camping. In college I also enjoyed weight training and rock climbing. CU, if I had the opportunity I would also be into horseback riding. Lately I've been considering taking classes in ballroom dancing. It would be a fun way to exercise. :D
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum