Weather - or not!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Weather - or not!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:It's 14C here a bit sunny which is a nice change from all the rain, we are not having a good summer but temperatures never get that much above 25c even in a good summer, but today is still warm enough for just a t-shirt as long as the rain keeps off. :)

You can get arrested for that.

It was a long one Bouncy. ;) :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Antiq » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Yesterday, we had sun! Real, shiny sun!
Today it's back to overcast and humid. I coulda grown bananas this summer.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:05 pm

17C atm, and up to 25C later today... sunny and blue sky.

We have had an average of 40C for over 2 months and dry as a bone so this is incredibly welcome.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Antiq » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:16 am

Rain, gale warning, potential flooding........wha da fuhhh?? :shock:
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Similar to some parts over here, it would seem.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:36 am

It's been persisting down here in Cardiff.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:37 am

Drizzly here in EC3, but quite muggy.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 am

We had more rain yesterday, maybe more this afternoon, but can't complain about that. Otherwise looks like a nice day with more to come. Best of all, no sign of the extreme heat returning! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby BobtheDrog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am

It's wet, windy and miserable here. Have spent most of the working morning getting people out of wet jackets and finding space for their umbrellas
BobtheDrog

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Fire alarm (false) in the pouring rain. Bah!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:45 pm

It's cloudy and windy but a bit close/humid when the wind drops even though it 16c.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Toothy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm

The weather in Harrogate is somewhat precipitative at the moment. Guess where I am. It begins with an H and it's hissing down here I can tell you!...It brings to mind the following brilliant passage:

"Rob McKenna was a miserable bastard and he knew it because he'd had a lot of people point it out to him over the years and he saw no reason to disagree with them except the obvious one which was that he liked disagreeing with people, particularly people he disliked, which included, at the last count, everybody...

It wasn't that he was naturally predisposed to be so surly, at least he hoped not. It was just the rain which got him down, always the rain.

It was raining now, just for a change.

It was a particular type of rain that he particularly disliked, particularly when he was driving. He had a number for it. It was rain type 17.

He had read somewhere that the Eskimos had over two hundred different words for snow, without which their conversation would probably have got very monotonous. So they would distinguish between thin snow and thick snow, light snow and heavy snow, sludgy snow, brittle snow, snow that came in flurries, snow that came in drifts, snow that came in on the bottom of your neighbour's boots all over your nice clean igloo floor, the snows of winter, the snows of spring, the snows you remember from your childhood that were so much better than any of your modern snow, fine snow, feathery snow, hill snow, valley snow, snow that falls in the morning, snow that falls at night, snow that falls all of a sudden just when you were going out fishing, and snow that despite all your efforts to train them, the huskies have pissed on.

Rob McKenna had two hundred and thirty-one different types of rain entered in his little book, and he didn't like any of them...

Since he had left Denmark the previous afternoon, he had been through types 33 (light pricking drizzle which made the roads slippery), 39 (heavy spotting), 47 to 51 (vertical light drizzle through to sharply slanting light to moderate drizzle freshening), 87 and 88 (two finely distinguished varieties of vertical torrential downpour), 100 (post-downpour squalling, cold), all the seastorm types between 192 and 213 at once, 123, 124, 126, 127 (mild and intermediate cold gusting, regular and syncopated cab-drumming), 11 (breezy droplets), and now his least favourite of all, 17.

Rain type 17 was a dirty blatter battering against his windscreen so hard that it didn't make much odds whether he had his wipers on or off.

He tested this theory by turning them off briefly, but as it turned out the visibility did get quite a lot worse. It just failed to get better again when he turned them back on.

In fact one of the wiper blades began to flap off.

Swish swish swish flop swish swish flop swish swish flop swish flop swish flop flop flap scrape..."
(So Long and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams)

:D
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 am

I thought it looked familiar!

Bouncy Castle

Postby wicked woman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Sunny and hot, cold and breezy, heavy showers. Repeated all day.
Open windows, take cardi off, close windows, put cardi on. Also repeated all day.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Catch-up » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I thought it looked familiar!

Same here! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum