What do you do?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What do you do?

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Joolz wrote:I drive a van or play drivers mate in a truck for the company that dare's not speak it's name :lol:

Fed Ecks?

edit been re-reading Going Postal ;)
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Toothy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:39 pm

I work in IT for a charity which is a tad different from the linguistic career I planned when at school, or the legal career I expected at uni (reason for the switch to Law is a loooong story I won't bore you with), or the financial services career I then had for a while (reason for the switch is another equally long story I won't bore you with either and I got out long before it all went pear-shaped in that sector, so current issues are nothing to do with me, Your Honour!) ;)
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Del » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:05 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
Joolz wrote:I drive a van or play drivers mate in a truck for the company that dare's not speak it's name :lol:

Fed Ecks?

Would someone enlighten me? I have no idea what you are all referring to? *comes from forn parts*
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:23 am

Don't look at me. I have no idea. :think:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 am

Del wrote:
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:

Fed Ecks?

Would someone enlighten me? I have no idea what you are all referring to? *comes from forn parts*

A security company got in trouble recently for failing to provide adequate cover for the olympics, so the armed forces had to step in. I should imagine that's the company in question.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Toothy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

Dotsie's right and Joolz gave a clue in his post. Made a pun of the comapny's name,

Joolz wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:

Voldemort Transport? :think:

:lol: :lol: Gee 4 crying out loud.... ;)
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Will of Lancre » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Oh... :doh:

I am a translator at the European Parliament, which sounds a lot more glamorous than it is. Specially as most people think translators are the guys in the headphones at conferences. Actually those are interpreters. We just do the written stuff. (The difference is interpreters have to be quick, while we have to get it right ;)).

One of my favourite achievements (in my spare time, I may add) is having translated "Winnie-the-Pooh" into a language most people have never heard of (Luxembourgish). :D
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby ChristianBecker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Cool.
I like Lëtzebuergesch. Stumbled over a Luxemburgisch radio station some years ago and the language sounds nice. Like German with an accent from the Eifel mixed with French. :D
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby michelanCello » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Will of Lancre wrote:Oh... :doh:

I am a translator at the European Parliament, which sounds a lot more glamorous than it is. Specially as most people think translators are the guys in the headphones at conferences. Actually those are interpreters. We just do the written stuff. (The difference is interpreters have to be quick, while we have to get it right ;)).

One of my favourite achievements (in my spare time, I may add) is having translated "Winnie-the-Pooh" into a language most people have never heard of (Luxembourgish). :D

OK. That's just kinda my dream job :P
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Joolz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Toothy wrote:Dotsie's right and Joolz gave a clue in his post. Made a pun of the comapny's name,

And the prize goes to Toothy :lol:
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Dotsie wrote:I'm a geomicrobiologist & I lecture in virology & microbiology. Woohoo germs!

Have you ever read The Passage by Justin Cronin. Fantastic book. Blew my socks off, fwhooo, fwhooo!

Thanks for the translator/interpreter clarification Will. Excellent career either way. Is it hard to translate jokes? We had a Hungarian stay with us and one night we sat together drinking fruit brandy trying to tell each other jokes. It didn't go so well, though the trying was more funny than the telling.

I thought Joolz was talking about British Petroleum :roll: .

Pretty diverse bunch eh? Variety is definitely the spice of life.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby chillicamper » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:15 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:
Dotsie wrote:I'm a geomicrobiologist & I lecture in virology & microbiology. Woohoo germs!

Have you ever read The Passage by Justin Cronin. Fantastic book. Blew my socks off, fwhooo, fwhooo!

I've read The Passage. Thought it was a good book. The follow up book is out in October I think (The twelve??)
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:27 am

Joolz wrote:
Toothy wrote:Dotsie's right and Joolz gave a clue in his post. Made a pun of the comapny's name,

And the prize goes to Toothy :lol:

Don't know why I bother :roll: :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:31 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:

It's 1008 pages :shock: When I can find 6 months when I don't want to read anything else, I'll give it a go :lol:
Dotsie

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:58 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:

Thanks for the translator/interpreter clarification Will. Excellent career either way. Is it hard to translate jokes? We had a Hungarian stay with us and one night we sat together drinking fruit brandy trying to tell each other jokes. It didn't go so well, though the trying was more funny than the telling.

I thought Joolz was talking about British Petroleum :roll: .

I've read it! It was a great read, finished it in a week :D
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum