The London Olympics 2012

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The London Olympics 2012

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 am

I didn't watch any of it, but newspaper reports are praising Mr Barlow for his decision to go on. A lot of people would have backed out, under the circumstances.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 am

The closing ceremony was more of a concert, party and celebration than the opening which had more elements of drama and spectacle. I thought they both went well and they set the tone for the games which were the "happiest" games I've ever seen.

I thought that both "ceremonies" - I use "" because both employed the absolute minimum of po-faced solemnity one associates with the word - rubbed the faces of the world in British culture. Not in a jingoistic manner, but were maybe a little excessive in their patriotism. Shakespeare, the industrial revolution, the internet, Harry Potter/JK Rowling, Monty Python, The Spice Girls, the Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd and I don't know what else, plenty I've missed no doubt. I'm a little disappointed the Stones didn't finish the show - in their 50th year that would've been perfect.

After Beijing's grand spectacle of untold thousands performing with military precision and perfect harmony many - including me - asked how could we top that? Well I think they managed it - Beijing's was joyless and robotic, London injected fun and humanity into the proceedings.

Rio has it's work cut out for them.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Batty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:04 pm

MongoGutman wrote:The closing ceremony was more of a concert, party and celebration than the opening which had more elements of drama and spectacle. I thought they both went well and they set the tone for the games which were the "happiest" games I've ever seen.

Totally agree. I don't usually bother to watch many events in an olympics, but I was hooked on ours. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
MongoGutman wrote: I'm a little disappointed the Stones didn't finish the show - in their 50th year that would've been perfect.

Mick Jagger gave an article, and mentioned that he refused to take part. He reckons that he's too old for such things!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Dotsie wrote:How is she your friend? :? Feel free to offend her ;)

Catch-up wrote: Just had my fill of the gross generalizations recently. I'll get over it! :mrgreen:

Wow, Americans are so touchy :P

What can I say? I ran out of chocolate. :P But, there is cake in my future! :D

Only saw clips of the closing ceremony but it looked spectacular! :D It's hard to believe it's all over.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I think Bouncy might be relieved, she will be able to get to work without all the hassle for a couple of weeks until the Para Olympics starts. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Actually, because of Boris's dire warnings about travel, a lot of people stayed away, and the travel was better than it normally is. :roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Del » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:36 am

michelanCello wrote:Sooo had to laugh when One Direction was on, I really had to think about Hayden :lol:

We missed the original closing ceremony (it was on at dawn here) but I saw most of it .... so we watched the rerun last night and she was allowed to stay up late...... OMG OMG OMG!!! She was two inches from the sceen in bliss!!! :lol:

As Morgan said: It has so much "Britishness" about it.... and as the host nation you allowed to do that. It wasnt all the countryside it was the fashion the zaniness and the humour. Takes alot to make ANY nation. Bejing was Bejing... and it was what they do best... you lot did what YOU do best. And I am sure Rio will do well too.... "being" Rio.

TAKE A BOW LONDON !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Spice Girls Re-united!!!!!! :shock: Loved the models! LOVED that so much of the show was done with vehicles!!!! Loved Russel Brand. Loved ALL the music! LOVED seeing Freddy Mercury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They managed to have dead people appear without it being macabre. :clap: :clap:

But most of all I loved Eric Idle.... can canning romans... skating nuns.... and bollywood! :lol: :lol:

I loved watching it the second time as much as the first time.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby pip » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:21 am

So will it be all nice and calm in London by Friday :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 am

Oh gawd....

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 am

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 am

pip wrote:So will it be all nice and calm in London by Friday :D

You should be just in time for this year's riots. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 am

No different to Dublin then :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum