The London Olympics 2012

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The London Olympics 2012

Postby Batty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Catch-up wrote:Thanks for clarifying Batty. Being painted with the same brush based on what the media chooses to report is even better. :roll: :lol: Seriously though, not trying to pick a fight. I've recently had to deal with Texans complaining about all the Mexicans, other relatives complaining about all the Arabs. Just had my fill of the gross generalizations recently. I'll get over it! :mrgreen:

Personally, it irritates me like hell when friends send rascist emails to me, as 'jokes'.
They aren't funny. They are stereotyping people and rascist.
One so-called 'joke' even made fun of someone blowing up a bus. Grrr!

Mind you, as for Americans ... :whistle: How many countries take part in the World Series?? :lol: ;) Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:23 pm

:lol: Oh, THAT one! So now I have defend 3 billion people based upon a sport I don't even enjoy? Well, if semantics is as bad as it gets, I'll decline to get grumpy over it. ;) My best guess, not being a baseball fan at all, is that the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Japan participate, being (I think) the only countries with major league baseball teams? But, I honestly don't know. If I'm wrong and only U.S. teams compete feel free to write them a letter explaining they're confusing the rest of the world and tainting the good name of Americans everywhere. You can even sign my name to it if you'd like. :mrgreen:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Batty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:34 pm

:lol: :lol:
Dear America,

Y'all confusin the rest of the World, with your baseball World series.

Luv

Forin folk from overseas ... That means the folk from the rest of the World ... y'know - outside of America ...

P.S. Write to Catch-up if you wanna reply.

... That's Catch-up - not ketchup! ...

:whistle:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Catch-up wrote::lol: Oh, THAT one! So now I have defend 3 billion people based upon a sport I don't even enjoy?

I wouldn't even bother trying to. ;)

The 19 teams that take part in the Cricket World Cup hardly represent the whole world - just those countries who play cricket. The 20 countries that take part in the Rugby World Cup hardly represent the whole world either - just those countries that play rugby.

There are 257 countries in the world so none of these sports are exactly representative of the whole world. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:29 pm

20 qualify for the finals tony, about 100 take part
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby raisindot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Batty wrote:
raisindot wrote:
Watchman44 wrote:The American media seem to base the medal table positions on TOTAL medals won rather than the number of Golds.......

I would think that total medal count should be the determining factor. I'd think a country with 20 total medals and 1 gold is a lot more impressive than a country with 5 golds.

Bearing in mind that a gold medal represents being the best athelete in the world, why should a country with 30 golds be less impressive than a country with 35 bronzes?
Sheesh! I'll never understand Americans! :doh: ;)

So, according to your logic, the country that wins one gold medal and nothing else is far more impressive than the country that wins no golds, 10 silvers and 20 bronze medals.

See, I tend to think that each medal represents the three best athletes are teams in the world, and that's what counts. No skin off my nose either way, since I'm from the country that won the most gold and the most medals period, and in generally since the Olympics have become home of mostly full-time professional athletes pretending to be amateurs for two weeks (i.e., basketball, tennis and soccer teams) that it's become mostly meaningless anyway. Inevitably, the countries that pump the most money into their athlete-building programs win the most, particularly if the focus on certain categories where you can wins lots of medals (i.e., track and field, swimming).
raisindot

Postby wicked woman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:11 pm

Batty wrote:
Catch-up wrote:Thanks for clarifying Batty. Being painted with the same brush based on what the media chooses to report is even better. :roll: :lol: Seriously though, not trying to pick a fight. I've recently had to deal with Texans complaining about all the Mexicans, other relatives complaining about all the Arabs. Just had my fill of the gross generalizations recently. I'll get over it! :mrgreen:

Personally, it irritates me like hell when friends send rascist emails to me, as 'jokes'.
They aren't funny. They are stereotyping people and rascist.
One so-called 'joke' even made fun of someone blowing up a bus. Grrr!

Mind you, as for Americans ... :whistle: How many countries take part in the World Series?? :lol: ;) Image

I get that from one of my friends. :evil: If I told her she was being racist she would be highly offended, regarding all arabs, muslims etc as free loading, come over here to claim money and blow us up is ok. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:43 pm

How is she your friend? :? Feel free to offend her ;)

Catch-up wrote: Just had my fill of the gross generalizations recently. I'll get over it! :mrgreen:

Wow, Americans are so touchy :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:49 pm

raisindot wrote:So, according to your logic, the country that wins one gold medal and nothing else is far more impressive than the country that wins no golds, 10 silvers and 20 bronze medals.

Not far more impressive, no. But they should be higher up the medals table, because they've reached a higher standard.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby michelanCello » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Sooo had to laugh when One Direction was on, I really had to think about Hayden :lol:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Batty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the closing ceremony.

It didn't have the imagination or inventiveness of the opening ceremony, and apart from the drummers, Queen and Eric Idle, I started to lose interest in it.

Oh, well. I'll have to wait now to watch the para-olympics! :roll:
Batty

Postby Conforumist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:27 pm

I thought the closing ceremony was really good!
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Penfold » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Not so much as disappointed, but I think Eric Idle should have gone on last. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Batty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am

Penfold wrote:Not so much as disappointed, but I think Eric Idle should have gone on last. :D

I said exactly the same thing, Penfold!
We should have ended on a light-hearted and comical note.

I forgot to mention Gary Barlow and Take That. They gave a good performance as well, and Gary showed true professionalism. :clap:
Batty

Postby Tiffany » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:16 am

Batty wrote:
Penfold wrote:Not so much as disappointed, but I think Eric Idle should have gone on last. :D

I said exactly the same thing, Penfold!
We should have ended on a light-hearted and comical note.

I forgot to mention Gary Barlow and Take That. They gave a good performance as well, and Gary showed true professionalism. :clap:

I second that, he sang well. :clap: :clap:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum