Scenes that make you weep

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Scenes that make you weep

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:06 am

Are there any bits in films that always make you weep? There are a few with me, but the one that always does it is in one of my favourite films, Dancer in the Dark starring Bjork and directed by Lars von Trier.

It's the exectution scene at the end of the movie. I howl with tears every time. :cry: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: Scenes that make you weep

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I just went looking for it on YouTube. And it made me weep yet again.

Beware - it's powerful stuff!

Spoiler: show
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Don't think I'll watch that just yet!

I cry at everything :roll: but the Santa speaking sign language scene in Miracle on 34th St gets me every time. The Santa speaking swedish in the original just doesn't do it I'm afraid.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Seimimac » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:07 am

The scene in Goodbye, Mr. Chips, starring Robert Donat, when he is told his wife and child have died in labour, and he goes on to teach his Latin class :(
Seimimac

Postby chris.ph » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:10 pm

when charlotte dies in charlottes web :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:18 pm

The ending to the Futurama episode Jurassic Bark

Here's the set up for those unfamiliar with the ep/show. Pizza delivery boy Fry is accidentally frozen for 1000 years, wakes up, makes a robot friend (bender), hijinks ensue. in this ep fry and his friends are roaming the ruins of old new york, and come across the remains of fry's dog Seymour. que flashbacks of Fry finding him as a puppy. Seymour following him around, waiting outside his job, and after fry is frozen trying to alert the family that something is wrong, but it doesn't work, etc.

Fry's genius scientist relative tells him they could clone Seymour and he could have his dog back. Bender gets jealous and more fun happens. Bender gives in in the end. and as they are prepping the remains for cloning, Fry finds out this 3 year old dog was 18 when he died. So he says, "Wait, Seymour lived 15 years without me. he lived a long life wihtout me around. He doesn't need me. lets leave him rest in peace". and then they cut to this

Caption says January 2, 2000 (2 days after fry was frozen) and this is the reseaon that connie francis song always gets to me
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby michelanCello » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:41 pm

The death scene of Big Fish... it's not sad, really, but it still makes me cry every time... love that movie!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby BobtheDrog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:52 pm

raptornx01 wrote:The ending to the Futurama episode Jurassic Bark

Here's the set up for those unfamiliar with the ep/show. Pizza delivery boy Fry is accidentally frozen for 1000 years, wakes up, makes a robot friend (bender), hijinks ensue. in this ep fry and his friends are roaming the ruins of old new york, and come across the remains of fry's dog Seymour. que flashbacks of Fry finding him as a puppy. Seymour following him around, waiting outside his job, and after fry is frozen trying to alert the family that something is wrong, but it doesn't work, etc.

Fry's genius scientist relative tells him they could clone Seymour and he could have his dog back. Bender gets jealous and more fun happens. Bender gives in in the end. and as they are prepping the remains for cloning, Fry finds out this 3 year old dog was 18 when he died. So he says, "Wait, Seymour lived 15 years without me. he lived a long life wihtout me around. He doesn't need me. lets leave him rest in peace". and then they cut to this

Caption says January 2, 2000 (2 days after fry was frozen) and this is the reseaon that connie francis song always gets to me

have to agree with this one
BobtheDrog

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Lots of movies make me cry. Dancer in the Dark is a stand out. Seymour waiting for Fry is sad as well. It's the song!

I watched Billy Elliot yesterday & I pretty much cried from when the dad decides to go back to work onwards.

The 1st ten minutes of Up.

The Road, when the dad is holding the gun to his son's head. That was a really powerful moment in the book which I cried hysterically reading, btw. To see it on screen and the meaning behind it. Chokes me up thinking about it.

Life is Beautiful, the bit where the dad goosesteps past his son who's hiding in the letter box.

To Kill A Mockingbird, Atticus' don't shoot Mockingbirds & court room speech.

Bambi's mum.

Last scenes of Gallipoli.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Seimimac » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 am

Angels with Dirty Faces, when Jimmy Cagney, refuses to 'turn yellow' before he goes to the chair, so that the boys who idolise him won't follow in his footsteps. Then, as his friend, the priest, watches him walk to his execution, the shadow on the wall shows Cagney start to struggle, and he starts to cry out and beg for mercy. When the priest goes back to the gang's hideout, the boys all ask him to say that Cagney didn't beg, but he just asks them to pray 'for the little boy who could never run fast enough.'

Also, it's not a film, but in the comic, Spider-man, when Peter Parker's Aunt May is dying, Peter sits with her in the hospital, and tells him that she has always known that he was Spider-man, and how proud she is of him, and, more importantly for him, how proud his Uncle Ben would have been.
Seimimac

Postby Antiq » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Most of Life is Beautiful.
The end bit of Schindler's List.
The reunion scene in The Colour Purple.
The bit after the dinner scene in The Notebook.
Hugh Jackman crying in The Fountain.
In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.
Antiq

Postby Willem » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:19 pm

All the toys holding hands near the end of Toy Story 3
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby BatrickPatrick » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:08 am

The end of the Lion King (not the Mufassa bit, the bit where simba roars and all the other lions roar...It's a nostalgia thing. Roar!)
The end of Gladiator
All of the movie Lilya4ever
Most of Schindler's List (welling up now actually)
The English Patient ('I've always loved you')
The end of Forrest Gump (Jenneeey)

And I cried in the cinema at the last LOTR film but not with repeated watchings, and the flashback scenes in the final Harry Potter movie with crying baby Harry (sad babies get me lol)

And quite a lot of the last Batman film, but that was exacerbated by sheer overexcitement :P
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:45 am

Oh god, that Futurama one. I've only seen it once, and just reading that gave me shivers.

Railway Children: "Daddy. My daddy".

Angel: Ilyria to Wesley "Do you want me to lie to you now?".
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Cohen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:39 pm

I would have to say that the last fight scene in 'Warrior' did make the old eyes well up :cry:
"Sorrow comes from a world upturned"
Cohen

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre