Excessive baggage?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

You are going away for two weeks on a sun holiday, how many suitcases do you take?

82%
14%
5%
No votes

Total votes : 22

Re: Excessive baggage?

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm

pip wrote:We're taking one case between us to london :D

You are not going to do a Magrat then? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:15 pm

:lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby BobtheDrog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:33 pm

I take 1 case but can usually manage 4 days with hand luggage
BobtheDrog

Postby ShortStacked » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Two weeks? Two bags. Gotta put the shoes somewhere, plus space to bring things back! ;)
She's the type of girl that can be so hurt but can still look at you and smile
ShortStacked

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Summer holidays (whether or not on beach) = 1 suitcase
Winter Hols (skiing back in the day :oops: ) = 1) 1 suitcase; 2) 1 boot bag stuffed with ski boots and as much 'round the hotel' light gear and undies as I could cram in on the way out but with room for duty frees on the way back (great padding for bottles :twisted: ); 3) 1 Ski bag also stuffed with ski wear/dirty clothes (on the way back)

Winter hols are exhausting... :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:54 pm

i took an empty suitcase to greece and bought t shirts and shorts out there, then brought them home for my mother to wash :lol: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Del » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:25 pm

spideyGirl wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:I don't take much at all. Holidays arent for bringing all your sh*t with you. They're for getting away from it.

Don't forget your towel.

Always have a towel, don't panic! ;) :D

Right on Jenn! Oh and dont take a towel. They take up too much space or if you do get a microfibre one that scrunches up to tiny. Or better still use the resort/hotels.

Look we need some info here......

How many are going? Are there children going? How many? Are you travelling and moving about? Or staying in one place?

If you are staying in one place then use the towels etc of the place you are staying in. Are you sitting around the pool or on the beach sunning or out and about? Just pack a dress or two for dinner and a bikini and a cover up. Flat black or natural looking sandals will take you everywhere and maybe a pair of light canvas closed shoes for walking... save the runners for RUNNING at home.

Stick to one block colour (black or white or a neutral) and add a bit of colour to accessorise. Nice black cotton dress can take you to the markets in the day, and put a bright light something over it and some bling for night. Remember you dress differently on holidays than you usually do at home so save the costs of the excess baggage by buying one or two cheap light dresses when you get there. (Maxi-dresses are so versatile... day to night). Or light black or white trousers (you will wear them forever) then throw some very light pretty tops with them. Throw in a black or white long or short skirt and you can mix and match for days. If you NEED jeans you only need ONE pair! Buy a straw or cotton styling and cheap hat THERE... then you dont have to worry about taking it and who cares if it gets crushed on the way home.

See..... IF you are staying in one place you may think you have to appear in a different outfit everyday or else "people will notice" No they wont! They are on holidays too and who gives a stuff. If you are out and about and moving around then WHO is going to know you wore that exact same outfit two days ago? Or even care? You can wash your items out in your bathroom and let them hang in the bathroom overnight. Who wants to hang around a laundry on holidays? (Might need to if you are taking kids)

So heres an example.....

Black trousers, black shorts, black skirt. (OR white or tan).
Black cami cotton top. (OR white or tan) to match the above. If you want to pack REALLY light I would go ONE colour but black, white and tan mix and match well.
That gives you a block top and bottom..... then you can throw on a few pretty, sheer light tops over them to change them around. Or a scarf. Or some great belts. Or mix up the jewellery.
Jeans (one pair... they take up too much room)
Shorts (if you wear them)
Flat sandals in a neutral colour.
Lace up canvas shoes. (neutral colour)
Heels (one pair) if its an upmarket resort or if you absolutely have to to go dancing.

Lay everything out on your bed and REALLY suss it out. Will it mix and match? Dont take anything you dont feel gorgeous in or love to death.

Roll your clothes. They dont crease as much and you get more in. Pack items inside each other (inside shoes)

Dont forget the plane maybe cool so you can WEAR some of your bulkier items ;) and the heavier shoes.

Make sure your SD card on your camera is downloaded and empty and ready to take pics (or on your phone). Take an extra SD card. Pack your phone and camera charger. Pack bandaids and a small bottle of sunblock... will there be bugs? Pack some repellant (if you need them you dont want to have to go looking) If you need to take medications do you need a doctors authority to travel with them overseas?

These tips come from some idiot who travelled on a two month holiday around Europe many years ago when there was NO baggage limit so she took the biggest suitcase on the market (WITH WHEELS and a leash.. that stuffed up on the second day and I that fought like a rabid dog thereafter). Broken, in tears and shaking with exhaustion after fifteen flights of stairs in some miserable British railstation (I was sent the wrong way four times) I brought a backpack, opened the suitcase, took out the basics and dumped the suitcase and most of my STUFF in storage for the rest of the trip. Never again!
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Del wrote:Broken, in tears and shaking with exhaustion after fifteen flights of stairs in some miserable British railstation (I was sent the wrong way four times) I brought a backpack, opened the suitcase, took out the basics and dumped the suitcase and most of my STUFF in storage for the rest of the trip. Never again!

Oops, sorry :oops: Could have been the one in my village... I saw a young woman struggling on the two flights of stairs yesterday, baby at the bottom, whilst she dragged the pushchair down. Obviously I helped her, but I can't believe there's no lift. What if someone in a wheelchair wanted to live in my village? :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:29 pm

I have never traveled except when with my ex husband, he insisted on complete clothing for every occasion for himself and the kids.

7 pr underwear per person minimum, 10 pr. socks/person Min, 7 pr Jeans/person Min, 7-10 pr shorts WHITE for him, 7-10 mostly WHITE shirts for Him, New White Tennis shoes for Him, the rest of us had Better look good or "I" was likely to be harangued as incompetent. Hot weather clothes, Cold weather clothes (in case), Huge medical kit ( I have kids and he is a doofus) enough food to feed us for 7 full three meal days... and that was to go FISHING Damnit!!! Mind, I did lots of laundry on the trip so I would not wind up with a horrible mess when I had to go back to work.

He wore White to fix Car engines and would make comments like "I should take you to my ex wife so she can show you how to do laundry right" Oh yeah that one got me really, really fecking happy. AXLE GREASE comes out of NOTHING!!!!! No amount of Borax, bleach, de-greasers, NOTHING works.

When we flew to Florida, 4 people 4 HUGE bags and guess who got to carry them??? ME!!!
He begrudged me a CART at the airport. I got to make all the arrangements, rentals, hotels, specialties, Everything and he acted as though I was forcing him to walk hot coals and griped and griped. Don't even get me started as to how he would behave on the plane... egads what an ass.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tiffany » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:34 pm

One suitcse for me, but I have a lot of bags too, for shoes, washing stuff & in case I buy a lot of items.
When I went away with my Daughter, in England I'll add, we came back with her S Max full to the roof & all the back seats down, but we had been to an auction. :D :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Your ex sounds a right nightmare, Tina. :shock:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:I have never traveled except when with my ex husband, he insisted on complete clothing for every occasion for himself and the kids.

7 pr underwear per person minimum, 10 pr. socks/person Min, 7 pr Jeans/person Min, 7-10 pr shorts WHITE for him, 7-10 mostly WHITE shirts for Him, New White Tennis shoes for Him, the rest of us had Better look good or "I" was likely to be harangued as incompetent. Hot weather clothes, Cold weather clothes (in case), Huge medical kit ( I have kids and he is a doofus) enough food to feed us for 7 full three meal days... and that was to go FISHING Damnit!!! Mind, I did lots of laundry on the trip so I would not wind up with a horrible mess when I had to go back to work.

He wore White to fix Car engines and would make comments like "I should take you to my ex wife so she can show you how to do laundry right" Oh yeah that one got me really, really fecking happy. AXLE GREASE comes out of NOTHING!!!!! No amount of Borax, bleach, de-greasers, NOTHING works.

When we flew to Florida, 4 people 4 HUGE bags and guess who got to carry them??? ME!!!
He begrudged me a CART at the airport. I got to make all the arrangements, rentals, hotels, specialties, Everything and he acted as though I was forcing him to walk hot coals and griped and griped. Don't even get me started as to how he would behave on the plane... egads what an ass.

real winner there. shouldn't HE be the one to carry the bags?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:38 pm

raptornx01 wrote:
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:I have never traveled except when with my ex husband, he insisted on complete clothing for every occasion for himself and the kids.

real winner there. shouldn't HE be the one to carry the bags?

Tiffany wrote:Your ex sounds a right nightmare, Tina. :shock:

He wouldn't even dig a small garden... the neighbor guy came over and asked him how he got ME to do all the work. That was a slightly tense moment.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum