dodger

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: dodger

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Orange have you read Gloriana, Mother London,and sequel King of the City by Michael Moorcook he loves Victorian London stuff which reflect in some of his books.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 pm

I haven't, Wee Dug. I'll add them to my TBR pile - thanks!
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Dodger - Waterstones Exclusive Limited Edition - £9.49

Waterstones Exclusive Edition with a bespoke jacket and extra content - Guide to the Wise Sayings of Solomon Cohen.
Which cover do you prefer, the one illustrated or the standard one. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 pm

I prefer the standard one, but then, as I said, I'm all about Victorian London sewers.

By the way, Wee Dug, your sig is one of those occasional Pratchett-isms that made me nearly sick with laughter. Other than Wodehouse, I've yet to find another author who can really make me laugh myself breathless with a line, even the late, great Douglas Adams. Another one as referenced by my username, was: "Don't arsk us about..."
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks Orange I'm chuffed. :mrgreen: :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:11 pm

I started a thread, in fact, on "Stuff that made you howl and laugh."

Personally I'm Welsh. I don't think we get a representative race in the Discworld (oh, maybe the Druids, but they got abandoned), but I'd like to join the Nac Mac Feegle with the proviso that I might be maudlin and sing rather than being angry and shout. Maybe I can be a Gonnagle?
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:59 pm

You are more than welcome to join our clan, you're a Celt after all. :mrgreen: :handgestures-thumbup:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I started a thread, in fact, on "Stuff that made you howl and laugh."

Personally I'm Welsh. I don't think we get a representative race in the Discworld (oh, maybe the Druids, but they got abandoned), but I'd like to join the Nac Mac Feegle with the proviso that I might be maudlin and sing rather than being angry and shout. Maybe I can be a Gonnagle?

What about Llamedos?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 am

Some of the dwarves are definitely Welsh, like the ones fighting at Koom Valley.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 am

Definitely some of the dwarfs. Hwel for example and Rhys Rhysson. Carrot grew up in that area, so maybe . . . ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:36 pm

Ah, you're all correct. Some of the dwarves are definitely Welsh, at least in terms of naming conventions. And, I suppose, getting uproariously drunk and running screaming at people, but I think that's all Celts :lol:

Come to think of it, Bodonny whipping out a tuning fork in The Truth so the dwarves can sing in awkward but melodious four-part harmony has more than a touch of the Welsh about it as well. Not to mention the whole mining connection. Evidently I'm a doofus :doh: I've always thought of the Dwarves as Vikings, probably again because of some of the naming conventions.

Mind you, my late maternal grandad always claimed that side of the family was of Viking stock, and since his name was Eric Thistlethwaite I have little reason to doubt him!
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Depends what part of the Disc they are from. Some are distinctly Welsh and others have a touch of the Dane about them. ;)

I once saw a stage production of Wyrd Sisters here in Cardiff and the actress playing Nanny Ogg had a real Welsh Valleys accent. It seemed perfect for Nanny. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Well they do say she has a bit of dwarf in her ancestry, no?
OrangeEyebrows

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:49 pm

I always got a kick out of the fact that Ancient dwarfish is call Oggham.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:08 pm

raptornx01 wrote:I always got a kick out of the fact that Ancient dwarfish is call Oggham.

Ogham (with one G) really was an ancient language. ;)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books