Things you laughed yourself sick over

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Things you laughed yourself sick over

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Terry Pratchett is the only author I can think of, other than Wodehouse, who can make me laugh, out loud and uproariously, with a single line - sometimes a single word. Even the late, great Douglas Adams, as much as I admired him, couldn't do it.

My username represents a time when I laughed until my stomach hurt [Spoilers! for Men at Arms]:

DON'T ARSK US ABOUT:
rocks
troll's with sticks
All sorts of dragons
Mrs Cake
Huje green things with teeth
Any kinds of black dogs with orange eyebrows
Rains of spaniel's
fog.
Mrs Cake

It's a silly, simple thing. As with most subtle humour, analysing it would probably break it, but I lost it at "Any kinds of black dogs with orange eyebrows" and really lost it when I got to the second "Mrs Cake".

Another one that really made me lose it was from [Spoilers! for A Hat Full of Sky]:

"Come Quick!" she yelled. "He willnae tak' a drink. I think he's deid!"

I'm sure we all love Terry Pratchett's humour. But when has he really tickled you? Which lines made you laugh out loud? Trust me - I'm a black dog with orange eyebrows.
OrangeEyebrows

Re: Things you laughed yourself sick over

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Nobby whirling (or being whirled by) a morningstar in Guards Guards! - simple slapstick really but I couldn't get the image out of my head

and Nobby again, his reaction to being told he could be the next Patrician in I forget
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:03 pm

Ooh, umm. That would be...Feet of Clay, I think. Right out of the window :lol:
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:32 am

I didn't laugh my self sick, but I often smile when I think of (I think) Witches Abroad, and the farmhouse landed on Nanny.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 am

I can't control myself when I read about Death being the Hogfather in the department store. Or when the Feegles see Death, and one tries to headbutt him. Happy days!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Dotsie, the scene with Nobby sitting on Death's knee always gets a smile from me. "nk you..."
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:52 pm

It's a small thing, but it makes me hoot with laughter. Any time a character uses the word: "et". :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 pm

I think it's often the little things rather than the big set pieces that really tickle the funny bone!
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Light Fantastic wrote:The old man had a large white horse tethered to a withered tree in a snow-filled gully some way from the circles. It was sleek, glossy and the general effect of a superb battle charger was only very slightly spoiled by the haemorrhoid ring tied to the saddle.

I nearly stopped breathing I laughed so much :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:42 pm

In the Wee Free Men when Tifany was trying to get the names correct Not as big as medium Jock but bigger than Wee Jock Jock put a big grin on my face, in fact quite a lot of the Feegles replies like how did you get into a nut,wis bit difficult when ye're a wee bitte pished. :lol: I had better stop there before I fill a page. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Om-the-Tortoise ineffectually cursing people (who can't hear him) in the early parts of Small Gods always makes me giggle. Also whenever someone says, "There's good eating on one of those."
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Nearly anything the Feegles say! Reading Wee Free Men aloud to the girls provided a lot of entertainment as I tried to do a Feegle accent (which I was told sometimes went French) and tried not to laugh at the same time.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Wee Dug, I also liked "Medium Dave" in Hogfather.
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi Orange,I think Medium Dave is a nod or take off Hodgesaagh aka known as Dave Hodges the Falconer, but I could be wrong but that stuck in my mind, he was first in Lords and Ladies.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby =Tamar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 am

The Dread Portal scene in Guards!Guards!
=Tamar

Next

Return to Discworld novels