Unseen academicals launch - we need DW football teams!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:49 pm

One of the companies that I used to work for had a 5-a-side football team.
One chap - Justin - was useless at football and they put him in Goal. Mind you, he was religious, so I assume it was based on the presumption that Jesus Saves!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Sjoerd3000 wrote:I would love to come but as I'm a student and living in the Netherlands I'm also to poor to travel :cry: I'm not very good at football but I have played as a goalkeeper(and not a very good one :wink: in spite of being tall and having big ears :) )
I was useless at football at school and always got put in goals. I really don't understand the logic of that. Surely having someone who is good at football is a better choice for goal? Goalkeeper is a pretty important position on a football field - isn't it? :roll:

Yeah it is but everyone who is good at football wants to play in the field (preferably as striker). So the ones who are not so good at football(me for instance) are chosen as goalkeeper :wink: There is no logic to it :)
I actually liked to be goalkeeper meant I didn't have to run around the field :wink: That was really tiresome :wink:
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:34 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
poohbcarrot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:but lately I've been concentrating on growing 4" roots in case I needed to be assessed as 'sick' :lol:

I'll assess you if you want.

YOU'RE SICK!!

:twisted:

Naughty Pooh, Bad Pooh, Jan is going to have to Spank you and Spank you Well, then she can spank Chris.ph... :twisted:

Tina - thanks for the support and suggestions but...

a) if I tried to spank Chris I'd have to
i) catch him first (and I can't run for toffee - even back when I wasn't using a stick)
ii) fight Troy off and the Missus too possibily (unless she wanted to join I suppose in which case I'd let her start as she's had more to put up with)
iii) and if I managed all that would have to get to A&E to reset my thigh bones (have you seen how big he is?!!!! :shock: )

b) Spank pooh - I fear he might like it and make me wear day-glo paint :shock: :shock:

OR as we fairly regularly post-spank hypothetically (or want to) it's got rather boring TBH - maybe we should try for aggravated assault? :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Trish » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:I live in the US and am too poor to travel, sorry. :twisted: Oh and I have very purple hair now!

Living in the US, we are all poor. Just 2 years ago, The Daughter and I went to Nova Scotia for 5 weeks.
Now, we can't afford to drive to the store and can't afford to buy anything that isn't 70% off.

But hey, the bank execs are doing well.

Purple hair happened to me, too. Well water...
Indigo (Ravenous Blue) also happened --deliberately, to match the paint on my Harley.
The silly things you do when you're young.
Trish

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:31 pm

I intend to be young well into my 70s so far as hair colour is concerned :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:25 pm

at least you lot have hair to dye as most of the men here are follicly challenged :)
the last person who tried to spank me jan took cheques :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:31 pm

LOL!!!!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 pm

chris.ph wrote:at least you lot have hair to dye as most of the men here are follicly challenged :)
the last person who tried to spank me jan took cheques :D

PMSL - :lol: better sell tickets in that case - 50/50? :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Who I Have So Far...

Postby Lynsey Dearheart » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:11 pm

Hello all,

These are the people I have listed down as wanting to play on the Superfans teams...

Chris Boote
Chris’s cousin Ed
Malc
Aine
Andrew Raby
Mark Leslie
Karl Kemp
Jean Guittet
Darren
Kirstine
Caroline in Colchester
Mark Bickell
Tom Foolery

If you fancy letting me know your full names (!!) and email addresses then I can put you in touch with other team members when I allocate the teams! Probably be 6 or 7 people in a team so we can substitute in players!

If your name isn't on the list and you'd like to play email me at discworld@transworld-publishers.co.uk or message me on here. There will be a special souvenir for everyone who takes part a gold-ish cup of some kind for the winning team!

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm!

Lynsey

p.s. team names and other info on its way. Football is genderless! So everyone is welcome to join in. Thinking behind 11am is so we can a)break for lunch (I always think better on a full stomach) and b) for people who have far to travel and aren't staying over can make it home...
Lynsey Dearheart

Postby Dotsie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:43 pm

What's the date for this? :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:56 pm

10th October I believe 11am.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

SPOILER BEWARE!!

Postby Lynsey Dearheart » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:20 am

We will definitely be having medals/cups of some kind for the winning team I have a glimmer of an idea Ill have a chat to Bernard about.

**** SPOILER ****

Ok so I thought it would be easier if I gave you a mini spoiler regarding some of the team names and colours in the book. Look away now if you dont want to know anything. These are the teams I'd like to include in the match but obviously open to suggestions...

The Dollies aka The Dolly Sisters wear black and white
The Dimmers aka The Dimwell Old Pals wear pink and green!
Unseen Academicals, the wizards team wear red and yellow
Ankh-Morpork United who are slightly prone to cheating - white with a blue trim.

End of Spoiler!!

So if you guys want to commandeer one of those teams now, let me know! I am hopefully going to be sorting out football shirts for all fans who volunteer - these will be a limited fan item so well worth playing to get your hands on one!
Lynsey Dearheart

Postby Trish » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:31 pm

I trust there will be a few folk on hand with video equipment.
For those us the States who can't get TP movies and a time getting TP books, can we have a youtube Unseen preview?
Please?
Trish

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm sure there'll be plenty of photos and videos of the event. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum