Another Witches Book?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Another Witches Book?

Postby pip » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:31 am

I did say accidently once that i've a massive Dick collection . People stopped breathing :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:24 am

At least you didn't say you were a big Dick fan. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:32 am

:lol: :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 am

I was watching a programme on BBC4 last night, about the rise and rise of British musicals, and there was footage of rehearsals (and actual show) of Phantom, and I immediately thought of Maskerade!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:44 am

I went to see Phantom on London with my Dutch friend who hadn't read Maskerade yet and told me she didn't want spoilers. It was really difficult. I could just imagine Terry at the show thinking - I could really take the p*ss out of this. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:45 am

I have to admit, that it doesn't (didn't ?? - is it still going?) appeal to me.

Nor Les Mis.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Mary Skater » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I have to admit, that it [Phantom] doesn't (didn't ?? - is it still going?) appeal to me.

Yes, still going. 25 1/2 years so far...

Speaking as a fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Phantom," I didn't find anything unpleasant or offensive in Maskerade. (In other contexts, I've seen spoofs/ parodies with a nasty edge to them.) But I did think Terry was being a bit too blatant in making Walter Plinge such an obvious Frank Spencer.

(Is there anyone who didn't get that reference...? Well, for the sake of non-British or under-30 readers, Frank Spencer was a hugely popular TV comedy character in the 70's. The actor who played him revealed an unexpected serious side, and a remarkable singing voice, to be first to play the Phantom in the musical.)

Getting back on topic, I've always liked the witches. But Granny and Nanny must both be in their seventies - how much longer are they going to go on for? What's a typical lifespan on Discworld? Maybe we need a flashback to their younger days. (When Esme Weatherwax could run faster than Mustrum Ridcully...)

Mary
Last edited by Mary Skater on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Skater

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Magical people can have very long lives it seems on the Disc. There are several wizards and witches mentioned as being over 100 years. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:30 pm

I had to go and check, but Windle Poons lived to be 130 (the only one whose actual age I could remember being mentioned). :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Miss Treason was 111 when she died. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:51 pm

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS FOR I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT AND SNUFF

(Sorry - enthusiasm got the better of me)

Hello there!

I'm new here, but alhough I only discovered this message board a few days ago I've been obsessively reading up in my usual slightly worrying fashion, so hopefully I'm more or less up to speed on your discussions. I believe Soul Music was my first Discworld book, lent to me by a friend lo these many moons ago, although not necessarily the earliest one that was out at the time. Or it might have been. I don't know. Since then I've devoured everything Terry Pratchett has written - he's far and away my favourite writer (and I don't intend to qualify that with "modern" or "genre" or any of that nonsense).

My feeling is that there won't be another Witches book - I think I Shall Wear Midnight was intended to wrap up the Witches arc - Tiffany has her coven and is a respected witch in her own right, the tension between her and Roland, such as it was, has been resolved, the chalk is safe under the care of the new Baron and its witch, and so on. At the same time there's a sense of Granny and Nanny going on in their usual way, and a network of new (to us) witches like Long Tall Short Fat Sally and Mrs Proust carrying things on elsewhere in their own different ways.

Equally, I don't think there'll be another Watch/Vimes book. Colon has overcome (or is beginning to overcome) the thing that has always been the worst part of his personality - a certain thick-headed, superficially amiable bigotry. Nobby's love life is finally looking up. And aside from his wife and son, Vimes has finally found a passion outside policing and is "as happy as a cat full of sixpences". I think Carrot and Angua's relationship was as tied up as it's likely to get in The Fifth Elephant.

What more, really, is there to be said?

Not that I wouldn't love more Watch or Witches books - I think the reason Small Gods and Pyramids seem to be the most controversial books in terms of favourite / least favourite is because they're standalone, and for my money I prefer the stories with known / developing characters.

BUT, I feel that these stories have reached the end of a natural arc, and perhaps intentionally so. Sir Terry Pratchett moves in mysterious ways, of course, his wonders to perform, so I could well be proved wrong. But that's my two AM$.

Very pleased to be here.

OrangeEyebrows
Last edited by OrangeEyebrows on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:58 pm

We are pleased to have you here, OrangeEyebrows (love the username :lol: )

Welcome to the site!

I think there are are few of us who think this might be the case - but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Terry has been known to get an idea in his head that won't go away until he's written a book about it. Maybe he'll decide that the only people who can deal with this idea are Granny and co. We can but hope. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks, Tony! And apologies for muffing up with the spoiler warnings. I'll be more careful in future.

Oh, indeed. My personal hope is to see another Wizards book, since I don't think Unseen Academicals entirely tied that up, but I'm also *really* looking forward to Dodger, being a big Victoriana nerd.

OrangeEyebrows
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to Dodger too. :D
Tonyblack

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:38 pm

On which note, I'm going to go and post on another thread, with the hope that I'm not stirring up sh---

--well, you know.
OrangeEyebrows

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books