Monstrous Regiment Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re:

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 pm

DaveC wrote:I found it really weird that none of the regiment killed anyone, especially Tonker, considering how volatile she was.

jade, kind of, killed that guy was running away. dunno if that counts though :)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Re: Monstrous Regiment Discussion *Spoilers*

Postby Maladict » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 pm

raisindot wrote:
Maladict wrote:It is always big news here when some study announces that Finland is the richest, safest, healthiest, or otherwise best nation in the world. Pride in such things is not bad as such, but often it leads to racism and extreme nationalism.

Oh, great. Now you're going to tell me that the Finnish Bikini Team isn't real, either. :D

The what? I've never heard of anything like that! Google isn't helpful either. :think:
Maladict

Postby MaxB » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:25 pm

To joemcf:

In my opinion, finding out that they were all women was a lot of fun. I didn't expect it at first, and I thought it was hilarious to see all of the different ways they were pretending to be men. :)
I can see how you didn't like it, though, as it is rather predictable.

To me, that line showed a lot about how there wasn't gender equality. It wasn't okay for Jackrum to go back as a girl, because he was so manly. But it was okay for him to go back as a man, because that's how society thought he should be.

I think that going back to his son as a father is the best way Jackrum's story could have ended; he gets to be himself and live with his family. But I also think that it says a lot about both their society and ours that it's not socially acceptable for a woman to behave like him. Personally, I would be just as happy with a grandmother that could hit a fly with spit as I would be with a grandfather. :)

Also, in case anyone's interested, I run a website with more of my opinions at www.pratchettopinions.weebly.com. I would be delighted if you visited. :)

Thanks!

-MaxB
MaxB

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Welcome to the site, MaxB! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MaxB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Thank you! From what I've seen so far, it's a wonderful site. :)
-MaxB
MaxB

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:39 pm

It's a site for sore eyes. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby KamexKoopa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:48 pm

I loved this book :D it's one of the few one-off Discworld books I can read over and over, plus I like seeing members of the Watch through other characters eyes
Please check out my movie review vlog :)
http://www.thezerolevel.com/series/kamex-koopa-reviews/
KamexKoopa

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:27 pm

It's a cracker! It's funny how some of my favourite Discworld books, I didn't care too much for on the first read. Small Gods was the same. :D
Tonyblack

Postby KamexKoopa » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Maybe I missed something, both in this thread and the book :P but was it explained how Mal was apparently strolling around in the daylight, with no mentions of giant floppy hat/any problem?
KamexKoopa

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:50 pm

It's a Pratchett thing we don't talk about. We also don't mention trolls that can walk around in daylight - except when the story calls for it. :mrgreen:
Tonyblack

Postby KamexKoopa » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm

But Moving Pictures mentioned the lightscreen stuff, I just assumed it became a troll practise, like we all (presumably) wash our teeth and brush ourselves in the morning :P Sally mentioned her hat in Thud
KamexKoopa

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:52 pm

There seem to be a number of black ribboners who can go out in daylight, maybe it's being off the red stuff that does it. Isn't Otto fine as long as the salamanders don't go off?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby KamexKoopa » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 pm

But then Sally said she was fine with daylight as long as she wore a broad-rimmed hat, and she was a Black Ribboner, and I thiink Otto was described as wearing a collapsed opera hat? Maybe Tony is right in that it's best left unmentioned ;)
KamexKoopa

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Carpe Jugulum set it up that vampires could do it with enough will power. and I can see the a reformed vampire having enough repressed energy to pull it off.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Sunshinetrooper » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:49 pm

In regards to finding out about characters genders, I saw several character's female gender unravelling coming with the exception of Maladict.

I think this says a lot about myself and my view of a person in the army for Maladicta was one of the most astute, reliable characters and one I'd of said was your typical army male person, as with Jackrum. So this for me at the tender age of 14 was quite a shock.

Now 26, I am re-reading and trying to understand and interpret MR - a difficult task for someone, who although enjoyed learning English and reading, is not very err... You get the idea?

I wanted to ask if anyone thought the book has any sub text towards feminism or equality more than the commentary on the fallacies of war. I was thinking along the lines of suffrage movement?
Sunshinetrooper

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels