The Rotterdam Times -- Cabbagecon 2 - the Turtle returns

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Tonyblack, Jason, Toothy

Re: The Rotterdam Times -- Cabbagecon 2 - the Turtle returns

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:51 am

No, no, not Sinterklass. I've been there when he's arrived with his 'helpers'. Christmas starts really early in the Netherlands.

These are (if I remember correctly) local people who get elected and they wear a pointy wizard type hat. You see posters of them in people's windows with (I presume) the equivilent of Vote Joe Bloggs. :lol:

Maybe it's a Limburg thing. :?

I did ask my friend about it and she told me, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:45 am

Maybe it was carnaval? I think they always elect a Prince carnaval. Carnaval is big in the south, not so much up here :P

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:46 am

Dotsie wrote:That's Santa! You elect him?

NO that's Sinterklaas! :lol:
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 am

Sjoerd3000 wrote:Maybe it was carnaval? I think they always elect a Prince carnaval. Carnaval is big in the south, not so much up here :P

That's the bunny! :lol:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:27 am

And he is usually not by his elf, you just can't see them probably using them as footstools. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:And he is usually not by his elf, you just can't see them probably using them as footstools. :mrgreen:

Sinterklass doesn't have elves, he has Black Peter. Naughty children in the Netherlands get sent to Spain (for some reason :? )

Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:07 pm

That's because Sinterklaas is from Spain ;) Not sure how it became Spain since Saint Nicholas was bishop of Myra in what today is Turkey :)
Sjoerd3000

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:And he is usually not by his elf, you just can't see them probably using them as footstools. :mrgreen:

Sinterklass doesn't have elves, he has Black Peter. Naughty children in the Netherlands get sent to Spain (for some reason :? )

I know I've been over and seen him coming in by motor boat before the street parade when I was at a winter Bike rally/treffen, elf just fitted in better. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Sinterklass doesn't have elves, he has Black Peter. Naughty children in the Netherlands get sent to Spain (for some reason :? )

Could it be something to do with the Dutch Revolt and war against the Spanish and Catholic rule back in the 1500/1600's? :think:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography Website

Len Brook Fine Art Prints For Sale @ Photo4me.com
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Or it could be that the Dutch are just rubbish at geography ;) However Penners suggestion is more likely :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum