Quotes

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Quotes

Postby wildvet » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi.
Some years ago I have read a disknovel, in which there was described a reason why in a certain country, missionaries were supposed to be shot at sight.
Can someone please tell me which novel that is?
wildvet

Re: Quotes

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 pm

I know the one you mean, but can't think which book it's in at the moment. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Small Gods, perhaps? Or one of the watch novels in which there's Constable Visit? I've no idea :?

Oh, and welcome! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:14 pm

"The gods of the Disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of the dead, and so people only go to hell if that's where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they don't know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight." Eric

Welcome to the site :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm

That's the one! Thanks Dotsie! :D
Tonyblack

Postby Mary Skater » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 am

I often remember Discworld snippets without knowing which book they're from. I haven't yet got into Kindle etc, but can users of e-books tell me, is it possible to search the whole set for a particular word or phrase? In the above example, "missionaries" would be a good key-word, because it won't come up too often.

Mary
Mary Skater

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 am

You can only load one book at a time, so I wouldn't think so :think:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Mary Skater » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks, Dotsie.
Mary Skater

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Mary, I think it depends on your device. I have Kindle on my laptop (even if I don't use it - it was free) and, as you can see below, you can indeed do a word search. I don't know if your Kindle has that.
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:25 pm

You can search a book, just not all the Discworld ones at once, unfortunately. You could do that if you had them on pdf though.
Dotsie

Postby Mary Skater » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks, folks. I don't have a Kindle, so far. I like books on paper :) . But I can see the attraction of the electronic versions for travelling. I'll keep it in mind.

(Yes, I did recognise the Pride and Prejudice search, even without looking at the text on the right...)

Mary
Mary Skater

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Mary Skater wrote:Thanks, folks. I don't have a Kindle, so far. I like books on paper :) . But I can see the attraction of the electronic versions for travelling. I'll keep it in mind.

(Yes, I did recognise the Pride and Prejudice search, even without looking at the text on the right...)

Mary

:lol: when you download Kindle to your PC or laptop you automatically get a few books. Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island and Aesop's Fables. All the others I've got have either been freebies from Amazon or from Project Gutenberg. I still haven't actually read any of them yet, but FREE is my favourite price. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 pm

:lol: Me too! I've investigated all the free titles for Kindle, Kobo, and iBooks so far. My reading has become a little more diverse, to say the least.
Dotsie

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:56 pm

My diverse reading started in my teens when I decided to read the first 100 Penguin Classics. Now that is a really odd collection :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:25 pm

Dotsie wrote::lol: Me too! I've investigated all the free titles for Kindle, Kobo, and iBooks so far. My reading has become a little more diverse, to say the least.

Have you tried this site Dotsie it's Kindle books for Amazon but some you may not find by searching, it also has x rating filter that you can switch off.
http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/free/
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Discworld novels