Meeting Terry - Your Experiences

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Meeting Terry - Your Experiences

Postby Batty » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:14 pm

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

I'd met him many times at signings, but one that particularly stood out was when Rob became his PA.

Terry was signing at a bookshop in Colchester, and I'd got my books signed and waiting for my husband, when this bloke just DESCENDED on me, and started giving me the third degree on how long I'd been a fan, had I come far etc etc.

Scared the life out of me.

Only found out about 6 months later it was Terrys new PA :)

Cheers,
Karen

Never met him, and he hasn't attended the Red Lion book shop for years!
If he ever does again, I'd go there to get a book splodged in red ink by him!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Have only admired from afar in various places at the 2010 convention - mostly in the bar (or at breakfast) it must be said :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:17 pm

I gave Terry some stroopwafels during the 2010 con :P I suspect that Rob ate them all :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Molokov » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:12 am

I first met Terry during book signing tours to Australia in 1996 and 1997. When there's a line of hundreds of people, you don't want to take up too much of the author's time, but he was polite and pleasant and signed my books - I think at the time, it was a limit of 3, so I ended up getting several books signed simply by going to multiple signings throughout the day. Many of my books have a dedication line ("Best wishes", "even more wishes", "a quantum of wishes", etc) but many more just have a signature. Terry also did an evening talk during those two tours so I got to hear him speak then as well. At one of the signings I meekly handed him my fan letter (I was an impressionable young spotty teenager, not named Kevin, at the time), and got a very nice posted response some weeks later.

The next time I met Terry was in 2007 at Nullus Anxietas, the first Australian Discworld Convention. I was fortunate enough to win a position in one of his klatches, and although I didn't get a chance to ask him my question directly ('What music do you listen to while you write?') due to other people being faster, I just asked Daniel Knight to ask it for me as he was interviewing Terry for another session at the Con later that day.

We had a Skype call with Terry at Nullus Anxietas 2 (2009), and then I saw him around at the Discworld Convention in 2010, although I don't think I directly spoke with him (although I did ask questions during the panels for most of the other guests - Stephen Briggs, Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen, Bernard Pearson, etc). Of course Terry did manage to come to Australia again for Nullus Anxietas 3 (2011) and in amongst all the other things he did at the Convention, I was lucky enough to be seated opposite him at the table for the Gala Dinner. Due to the noise, we didn't really get the chance to talk much, although he did ask about my costume (Cephut, God of Cutlery) at one point.

And of course, for Unseen University Convivium a few weeks ago, we managed to get a Skype call with Terry & Rob teed up, which was within my purview to organise! Although I didn't speak to him much on the call beyond getting it set up (I had just run a 2-hour quiz, after all), it was fantastic and I think all the fans there who wanted to ask Terry a question managed to do so.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:I gave Terry some stroopwafels during the 2010 con :P I suspect that Rob ate them all :P

Stroopwafels!! I love those! Discovered those while we were in Amsterdam. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:31 am

Hey Molokov.

How did the Dodger samplers go down? :mrgreen:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Molokov » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:10 am

Well... myself and our Bursar read out the 14 pages of Dodger to entertain the crowd at our Gala Dinner, and although there wasn't much audience reaction in the way of laughter (even at some of the funny lines), everyone was intently listening.

All ten copies were given away as part of the prizes, and I hope those that won them enjoyed them. We did also have quite a few books (donated by Random House Australia) to give away, so they went quickly too :)
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby shivers » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:22 am

I don't think I've ever talked to Terry much directly (except one memorable moment at the first Irish DWCon when I was on my way to talk to Jack Cohen and continue a conversation from the day before, Terry was between us and I fumbled up my words trying to get past with something like an 'excuse me Mr, em I mea, Sir, em Terry, Sir Practchett, em, sorry!... ah Jack, there you are!'). I have since very calmly nodded and smiled and not attempted to used any title when he's nearby, and no longer get nervous if we're in the same conversation since I've already had my embarassing fan moment :)

My little brother has a good first moment with him though. Our first DWCon in 2006, all were warned at the opening ceremony about not bothering Terry when he had his 'other' badge on (Silas T. Firefly). My little brother at some point spotted Terry in the bar wearing his normal badge, went up as if to shake his hand saying 'Oh, Mr Firefly, I'm such a big fan of your work' but then paused, looked at the badge and then mock apologised 'So sorry, I thought you were someone else'. And simply wandered off nonchalantly.
Irish Discworld Convention 2015 - 2nd-5th October 2015, Cork International Airport Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.org
shivers

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BobtheDrog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:50 pm

I've met him a couple of times now at Trinity College events and found myself pretty tongue tied each time, my parents have had dinner with him a few times after college events and he's spent a fair amount of time chatting to my mother
BobtheDrog

Postby Selkie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:48 am

I've only met Terry once, many years ago. I think it was around 1995 when he came to give a talk to the local school children. I took the opportunity, being friendly with the school librarian, to drop my books off for him to sign. I was told beforehand that I was not allowed to listen in on the talk as it was for the children only.

Later, when I went to collect my books, the librarian ushered me into the staff room for a coffee and there he was! So, we sat and had coffee and he talked and I ... well... mostly I stammered and probably talked a lot of nonsense. He was very gracious and mostly carried the conversation. I expect he's used to that kind of response. If I'd been a bit more prepared... who am I kidding, I'd probably still react the same way.
Selkie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:02 am

:lol: I sometimes wonder if Terry based the department store scene from Hogfather on one of his signings. I'm sure lots of fans end up just saying "nk you".
Tonyblack

Postby Selkie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:05 am

It was actually while he was writing Hogfather!
Selkie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:08 am

Selkie wrote:It was actually while he was writing Hogfather!

There you go! He based that whole scene on meeting you, Selkie! ;) :lol:

There weren't any piggies around at the time, were there? :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Selkie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:14 am

*oink*
Selkie

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett