DC Movie News and Views!!!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: DC Movie News and Views!!!

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Can't stand the actor they have playing Batman.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm

he is welsh catch up ;)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Didn't know that! He's a terrible Batman. Can't stand that stupid, over the top raspy voice he does. :roll: I've never found him likeable in any role.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 pm

i thought he was cute in empire of the sun :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Conforumist » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Catch-up wrote:Didn't know that! He's a terrible Batman. Can't stand that stupid, over the top raspy voice he does. :roll: I've never found him likeable in any role.

Watch "The Fighter" if you have not. He steals the show. ..and he's the only Batman which I like so far.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Yeah, I can't say that any of the actors who played Batman were particularly stellar, but he's the only one I can't stand watching in any movie.
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Rotten Tomatoes suspends comments after death threats.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/18/d ... -comments/

:roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:26 pm

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:39 am

Digital Spy:

10 people have been killed in a shooting at a Dark Knight Rises film premiere near Denver, Colorado, according to reports.

At least 20 people have been injured during the incident at the cinema in the city of Aurora in the Denver suburbs.

Two gunmen are said to have been involved in the shooting, which occurred during a midnight screening of the new Batman film from Christopher Nolan.

An explosive device also reportedly went off during the incident, which injured several people in the building.

More soon.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby DaveC » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 am

Just read about this. It's absolutely terrible. Going to see the film in an hour and a half and my thoughts will be with them throughout.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Quatermass » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:23 am

Each Batman has their own strength and weaknesses. Or rather, each Bruce Wayne. I remember someone pointing out in a doco on one of the Burton/Schumacher movies that it's not about who plays Batman, but rather, who plays Bruce Wayne.

Michael Keaton and Christian Bale are probably the best.

And keep in mind, guys, that Bruce Wayne is basically a kid that never grew up. Mentally, I mean. :|
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Good point Q. So true. I enjoyed Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne.
Catch-up

Postby Conforumist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 pm

If they had used Dolf Lundgren back in the day, I think he could have been excellent. He had the size and with a bit of acting lessons, could have been really good in that suit.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby raisindot » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:22 pm

[Spoilers]

At risk of getting death threats from Batman fanboys, I must say that the third BM (snort) movie was a huge disappointment.

Don't get me wrong--I really LOVED The Dark Knight. I'm no fan of superhero movies, but that one was the first really intelligent entry in the genre I've seen, mainly because of Heath Ledger's amazing performance as the Joker and the issues the movie raised about vigilantism, chaos vs. order, and corruption.

The new one just seemed...well, like every other super hero movie. I've always felt that, since most superheros are particularly bland, the strength of a superhero movie rests with the villain. The more complex the personality (and the more 'human' and vulnerable) the villain is, the better the movie tends to be. Heath Ledger's joker didn't have superhuman strength or training; he simply had cunning and a go-for-broker mentality and the ability to play on his follower's greed as his core qualities, and that made him interesting.

The main villain in the new one is little more than a cross between Darth Vader and the desert leatherheads of The Road Warrior. There is nothing interesting or complex about him, and his menace--the typical "I will take over the city and destroy everything" was standard comic book fare. So, in the end, it just made the movie a standard "save the city" plotline that could have been resolved by any superhero; even with the backstory of the villain, it didn't execute with any sense of drama, unless you consider endless explosions to be drama. There were obvious political overtones (references to the French Revolution, and some not so complimentary refererences to the 99% movement), and attempts to discuss issues of spiritual corruption, but they all seemed forced.

In all, a tremendous disappointment, for me at least.
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Conforumist wrote:If they had used Dolf Lundgren back in the day, I think he could have been excellent. He had the size and with a bit of acting lessons, could have been really good in that suit.

Dolf Lundgren?! :? Really?
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre