I Shall Wear Midnight/Tiffany Aching question *spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

I Shall Wear Midnight/Tiffany Aching question *spoilers*

Postby amyjw » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:58 am

Hey guys, I'm new to this, but I was wondering if anybody knew if there would be a 5th Tiffany Aching book? I loved the way the 4th ended, but I wouldn't mind a 5th, I'm curious to know how Preston and Tiffany will get on, etc. Does anybody have any ideas about this? Has Sir Terry said anything? Thanks:) Also, I'm curious about Long Tall Fat Short Sally. I think I may have missed something obvious, but what's the deal with her?
amyjw

Re: I Shall Wear Midnight/Tiffany Aching question *spoilers*

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi amyjw and welcome! :D

I just reread I Shall Wear Midnight myself and you're right, it's such a great series of books.

But I kind of think that's the last of the series now.

But who knows - maybe we'll see Tiffany and Preston in one of the mainstream Discworld books. Readers asked Terry what happened to Eskarina Smith, and Terry sort of told us in I Shall Wear Midnight, so if enough people ask what happened to Tiffany, then maybe Terry will tell us.

Or maybe (as happened with Hat Full of Sky) Terry will have such a good idea that he'll have to write another Tiffany book. We can but hope. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Mary Skater » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:42 pm

amyjw wrote:Also, I'm curious about Long Tall Fat Short Sally. I think I may have missed something obvious, but what's the deal with her?

It's a few months since I read it, but wasn't Sally "tidal"? When the moon was in high tide position she was tall and thin, low tide she got short and fat. That's how I remember it, anyway. I didn't think there was any deeper meaning, just an amusing look at how magic could affect someone.

Mary
Mary Skater

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Yes, she was affected by tides. Her name is also a reference to the Little Richard song, Long Tall Sally. :D

Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:44 pm

I was waiting for someone to do the hand jive, and Bill Halley was in that clip. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby fids » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:54 pm

I love the Tiffany books but felt at the end of this book we were done. Her apprenticeship served and 'her coven' in place, all done and dusted.

IMO a story about the Chalk Coven would just be a Granny, Nanny and Magrat 'rip off'.

Best left IMO and I'm speaking as someone who loved the books.
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:02 pm

I'd kind of like to know how Amber gets along training with the Kelda though. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby fids » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 pm

she'll have the tappin' o' the foots squared away
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:05 pm

But it would be great to read about the Feegles again. :pray: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby fids » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh aye, lots more Feegles please.

Scunner's as they are :D
fids

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Esk's appearance didn't feel like an explanation at all. It felt more like a set-up/tease for some future story.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby swreader » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:52 am

raptornx01 wrote:Esk's appearance didn't feel like an explanation at all. It felt more like a set-up/tease for some future story.

I couldn't disagree more with what I think you are saying, though I'll admit that I'm not sure what kind of explanation you thought there should be. :shock:

Esk, I think, is brought in for two reasons. First, people have been asking Terry for years "Whatever happened to Esk?" And wanting to know more about her. Thus, he amuses himself by putting her in what I take to be the last of the quartet of Tiffany books. But, Esk is not a witch--she's a wizard! And she can therefore do some things that witches can't do--like go back and find the origin of the cunning man, and engage in all kinds of time travel (including providing the "traveling now"). She serves as a necessary plot device to provide absolutely necessary information and warning to Tiffany in a way that no one else can.

Tiffany (and the readers) need to know the history (and power) of this evil spirit. He is one of Terry's best villains, both in himself (and his total disregard for those he uses) and even worse,in the way he corrupts the society existing when he reappears. His power is so great that he even gets Tiffany and the Boffo shop owner witch (whose name escapes me at the moment) to turn on each other. He destroys the ability to trust and encourages everyone to find someone else to blame for everything. Since he's dead, he can't be killed--only sent back until someone awakens him again. But if he takes over Tiffany with all her power, he would be much worse. That's why the other witches are prepared to kill Tiffany if she doesn't defeat him.
swreader

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:40 am

I've just re-read And I Shall Wear Midnight, and although I'd like to read more it did kinda feel like an ending, the four books describing an arc from little girl to full witch - acknowledged as such by the gathered witches.

On the one hand I'm sure I'd enjoy a sequel but on the other it would seem to be superfluous.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:53 pm

swreader wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:Esk's appearance didn't feel like an explanation at all. It felt more like a set-up/tease for some future story.

I couldn't disagree more with what I think you are saying, though I'll admit that I'm not sure what kind of explanation you thought there should be. :shock:

Esk, I think, is brought in for two reasons. First, people have been asking Terry for years "Whatever happened to Esk?" And wanting to know more about her. Thus, he amuses himself by putting her in what I take to be the last of the quartet of Tiffany books. But, Esk is not a witch--she's a wizard! And she can therefore do some things that witches can't do--like go back and find the origin of the cunning man, and engage in all kinds of time travel (including providing the "traveling now"). She serves as a necessary plot device to provide absolutely necessary information and warning to Tiffany in a way that no one else can.

Tiffany (and the readers) need to know the history (and power) of this evil spirit. He is one of Terry's best villains, both in himself (and his total disregard for those he uses) and even worse,in the way he corrupts the society existing when he reappears. His power is so great that he even gets Tiffany and the Boffo shop owner witch (whose name escapes me at the moment) to turn on each other. He destroys the ability to trust and encourages everyone to find someone else to blame for everything. Since he's dead, he can't be killed--only sent back until someone awakens him again. But if he takes over Tiffany with all her power, he would be much worse. That's why the other witches are prepared to kill Tiffany if she doesn't defeat him.

I meant explanation for what happened to Esk after Equal Rites in response to what tony said

Readers asked Terry what happened to Eskarina Smith, and Terry sort of told us in I Shall Wear Midnight, so if enough people ask what happened to Tiffany, then maybe Terry will tell us.

that to me he was just setting up something. Something involving her son.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Next

Return to Latest books