Best book for a big budget film

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Cool Middle Name » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Guards! Guards!

Or at least Equal Rites, as an introduction to Granny Weatherwax, or Wyrd Sisters as an introduction to Lancre.
Reason for these:
All these could benefit from good special effects, and we would like a story without Rincewind looking a hundred years older than he really is. Did they follow Kirby's (inaccurate) interpretation?
I like Death, and so does Sky, so Reaper Man may be a good one.

Guards! Guards! may be tricky if produced by Sky because in GP they showed Angua as a watchman and her disappearing would be strange.
But the story is humorous and quite easy to understand in comparison with other watch books. And DRAGOOOONS!!!
I can imagine some awesome music playing as Errol launches from the penhouse.
Doooooo..... Dooooo.... doooooo...... DOOOOODOOOOOOO!!!!!
boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

Great characters as well.

Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters would introduce the world to Granny Weatherwax, and would make great films because of the adventure sense in Equal Rites and the parodic comedy of Wyrd sisters, which the audience would link with Macbeth.
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

Postby hattie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 pm

I'd love to see Pyramids as a film... or Small Gods.. but that would then spark sooooo much religion talk....so Pyamids would be best :-))))
hattie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Welcome to the site, hattie! :D

You really would need a big budget to film Pyramids.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby hattie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome and yes! you'd need a humungous budget....but it'd be worth it :-) :lol:
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat.
hattie

Postby raisindot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Welcome to the site, hattie! :D

You really would need a big budget to film Pyramids.

No you wouldn't. Just do a James Cameron and create 99% of everything in CGI and blue screen the little human bits.
raisindot

Postby Pearwood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 am

^ Good CGI costs a bloody fortune though. You just need to watch a SyFy original movie to see what travesties cheap CGI produces.

To be honest, I'm not sure if Discworld is suited to film. A lot of the magic is in Terry's prose rather than the plots or dialogue (not that they're bad of course). Certainly I don't think literal interpretations will work - The Colour of Magic TV Movie suffered from trying to get Terry's dialogue to work as it was on film and failed - the "In Sewer Ants" and "Sue my face for slander" lines were just painful despite being hilarious in written form. I actually think the best adaptions were the two 90s Discworld games. They upped the silliness and wackiness a lot, but they were actually amusing where all the Sky TV Movies weren't. Get whoever wrote them to pen the next Discworld adaption I say! :D
Pearwood

Postby deldaisy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Maybe because I have just reread it.... Witches Abroad.

It suits the money making formula alot of "kids movies" have these days of entertaining the kidlets immensely with the fairytale references they would pick up on, and it would amuse the adults with all the jokes that would go completely over the kids heads. :D

And the wider audience a movie has the more money it gets given to be made.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby meerkat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:35 pm

I'd love to see the bull chasing with Magrat picking off the rosette! :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Antiq » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Soul Music, oh please!!
In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.
Antiq

Re: Best book for a big budget film

Postby S@mwich » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:23 pm

The best option would probably be reaper man, although I would prefer the truth
Death or pins? Death or Pratchett!
Discworld completion: 66.6%
S@mwich

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17 pm

There is three I would like to see: The Wee Free Men, Mort and Interesting times.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby MerlinPowered » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 am

Guards! Guards! would be awesome. To see Errol zooming around at supersonic speeds would be great on the big screen. :)
MerlinPowered

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm

MerlinPowered wrote:Guards! Guards! would be awesome. To see Errol zooming around at supersonic speeds would be great on the big screen. :)

oh my yes. thats how i picture it when go through it. seeing his lift off, feeling the bass booming around me, then the shock wave. and keeping the bit about him going by in silence before the big BOOM.

also, i would give anything to see the where's my cow scene in thud on the big screen.

Night watch would be the cheapest, especially if they already have the sets built for previous watch films.

yeah, basically, i'd want all the watch books as movies, but those especially.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby wildvet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:32 pm

[*Maybe because I have just reread it.... Witches Abroad.

It suits the money making formula alot of "kids movies" have these days of entertaining the kidlets immensely with the fairytale references they would pick up on, and it would amuse the adults with all the jokes that would go completely over the kids heads. :D ]

Well, they'd have to leave out the killing of the suffering wolf that was too human...

Though not a good introducer to people who don't know the discworld characters, I'd love to see "Lords and Ladies" on big screen. I adore the whole story from page one to the very end.

So I'd go for "Guards! Guards!", because of the dragons, and the good introduction of the watch series. Jeremy Irons as Vetinari is perfect, me thinks. But who indeed would play Vimes?
wildvet

Postby Margi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Hmm.... I'd like to see Guards Guards too. I don't think it would work to do the Watch series out of order, so you'd have to start with that.

Who to play Vimes? Hard one. Someone compared Vimes with Gibbs in NCIS and it took me a while to get my head round the idea, but I wonder if Marc Harman (Gibbs) could pull it off? I've never seen him be a real action hero, but he wouldn't be an actor if he couldn't, and he's a good one. I don't know if I could go with an American accent though, the whole thing is so English, I'd hate to see it go over the waves. As with all film adaptations, whoever plays the parts will fit in with some people's imaginations and be totally wrong for others, it depends on which picture was in our minds first. I'd love to see drawings of Vimes from the readers fingers. They'd all be so different. Of course the book cover says a lot, but do we go with that in our heads, or do we create something quite different?
Margi

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels