Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

Postby MerlinPowered » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:30 pm

There has been some good natured discussion about digital vs paper over in this thread, which I appear to inadvertently stirred up. The digital vs physical option is something I've thought about in the past and I'd love to hear some opinions on it, and finding out how people tend to read currently. I did do a search, but couldn't find anything recent. If there's a recent topic please close this one.

For me, I started reading Discworld novels in paper form. In fact I read the first three that way. It was only after receiving a Kindle for my birthday that I started reading them that way.

For me personally, there has been several advantages to the Kindle. For one, it has been much cheaper buying the e-Books rather than the paper version. It was costing me $20 odd for the book locally, and only $7 for the Kindle edition. I had tried getting the books second hand, however the second hand book store in town only had 2 books, one of which I already owned. I actually prefer reading the books on the e-ink screen. Shock horror, but it's just better, for me at least. It's easier to pack a single Kindle than several novels.

There are downsides too. I can't hand the books on to friends to encourage them to read the series. I can't display them proudly on the book shelf. The Kindle, although really good on battery, always seem to need charging at inappropriate times. The last time this really "got me", was when I was 1000km from home visiting family in Queensland. It was only after getting there that I realised I had forgotten to charge it before leaving. It does use standard micro USB, but it isn't always convenient trying to find another cable.

One thing I would like to know, is if Terry receives the same amount from Amazon, as he would from a book sale? Anyone educated on such topics?
MerlinPowered

Re: Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:39 pm

You also can't read an ebook on a plane while you are waiting for it to take off as it's classed as an electronic item. ;)

I frequently chuckle when I watch Star Trek and see them all with the PADDs, which look a lot like Kindles - but they also read 'real' books. Picard likes real books so much that he gives them as presents. :lol:

I can see that ebooks have certain things going for them, but I'm not ready to get one yet. However, I have been known to download stuff to the Kindle on my laptop. But only if they are free. :mrgreen: And I really find it difficult to actually read anything on there.

As to whether ebooks are cheaper - well I buy an awful lot of books for next to nothing from charity shops. It's something that I get a great deal of pleasure out of. And I'll often buy a book from there that I wouldn't normally spend full price on. I couldn't do that with ebooks. Charity shops make a good deal of money through selling second hand books.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Willem » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:01 pm

I've gotten an e-reader for my birthday and was surprised by how much I enjoy it.

I'll still buy the 'real' version of book from authors I like though, the library wouldn't feel complete without it. But for regular pulp novels on the train, the reader is great: lightweight, no bookmarks necessary and a vast library of free classics readily available. I have to admit I've also got some books that aren't free to distribute yet, but I'll only read ones that I know I could borrow from a friend as a 'real' book to soothe my conscience (my reasoning being that I could also just borrow that copy).

It's not one or the other for me, I enjoy both versions.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm a fan of both too. I'd use my kobo & kindle app more if there were more free books, currently though the library doesn't have much. I've just loaded up my kobo with holiday reads, which has massively reduced the weight of my luggage, but I didn't have as much choice in what I read. I've paid for ebooks before when it was more convenient to do so, but it has to be cheaper than the paperback (it isn't always). I'd be amazed if authors got less for ebook sales - it just wouldn't happen.

It's like emails - getting a letter is so much nicer, but emails are so flipping convenient you'd have to be really bloody minded not to use them for most things :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Dotsie, have you looked at Project Gutenberg? It has thousands of free ebooks. All out of print or out of copyright stuff, but some real classics there. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:49 pm

I have thanks :) But if I want to read new stuff that puts the mockers on it for me :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:58 pm

My experience with DW come almost exclusively from audiobooks so :P :lol:

but i am in the process of buying them.

I just have no real interest in ebooks, and if i get anything of the ereader sort it'd be an ipad or similar that you can do other things on (and would mostly be what i'd use it for, IE web sites, games, etc). though i'll probably get a laptop long before i get a tablet, but thats mainly cause i've been diving deeper and deeper into film editing and such like and it'd be nice to be able to do that at work and home as well. so still no real interest there.

the only exception to that would be Fallout: Equestria which i broke down and started reading, and thats only because as a fanfic its online only. and even then i may end up buying the actual paper novel version of it that is being printed as we speak.

I just prefer to hold the actual book in my hands if i'm reading it myself.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Tonyblack wrote:You also can't read an ebook on a plane while you are waiting for it to take off as it's classed as an electronic item. ;)

I frequently chuckle when I watch Star Trek and see them all with the PADDs, which look a lot like Kindles - but they also read 'real' books. Picard likes real books so much that he gives them as presents. :lol:

I can see that ebooks have certain things going for them, but I'm not ready to get one yet. However, I have been known to download stuff to the Kindle on my laptop. But only if they are free. :mrgreen: And I really find it difficult to actually read anything on there.

As to whether ebooks are cheaper - well I buy an awful lot of books for next to nothing from charity shops. It's something that I get a great deal of pleasure out of. And I'll often buy a book from there that I wouldn't normally spend full price on. I couldn't do that with ebooks. Charity shops make a good deal of money through selling second hand books.

I get a lot of books that way too. One shop sells them for 20p each whatever they are. I also buy from car boot sales, another cheap way & I have had several TP's from that source since I got hooked.
I pass most back to the charity shops, recycling them that way.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:50 pm

i read both :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby hattie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:25 pm

I like reading paper books more. The feel and the smell of the book...turning pages...seeing a tea stain and remembering that night when I was so absorbed in Witches abroad I didn't even notice I was holding a cup of tea the entire 3 hours it took me to read the book and then spilling some when I finally noticed and my arm hurt like hell :-) Books have memories.
I found some old books belonging to my great grandmother and found a dried pressed Edelweiß in it.....well...you get the gist...I'm romantic when it comes to books :oops:

Which doesn't mean I don't use a Kindle. I like reading on the Kindle if I'm on the bus or simply on holiday. Saves a lot of space and doesn't weigh as much. I also read more books I normally wouldn't have. But what really annoys me, is that I own nearly all of PTerry's books in paper form but would have to buy them again and pay again for the Kindle copies which I am not going to. So I got them from someone else...but I dont understand why you don't just get the free ebook when you buy the paper book.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat.
hattie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 pm

I prefer my books but I also like my kindle, so I can comfortably read large doorstop novels without getting aching hands. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I prefer my books but I also like my kindle, so I can comfortably read large doorstop novels without getting aching hands. :mrgreen:

Thats what audio books are for. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 pm

I've got them as well, just a book junkie in all their forms. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I haven't got a kindle & don't want one, I spend too much time with books as it is, either reading or listening to them. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby MerlinPowered » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 pm

hattie wrote:But what really annoys me, is that I own nearly all of PTerry's books in paper form but would have to buy them again and pay again for the Kindle copies which I am not going to. So I got them from someone else...but I dont understand why you don't just get the free ebook when you buy the paper book.

How great would that be? Go buy a copy of the book to keep, and get the electronic medium for free. Unfortunately books are caught up in the same greedy corporate world as the rest of consumerism, so it will probably never happen. I just can't see my local ABC book shop handing over some of their sales profit to Amazon for the e-Book.

Oh well.
MerlinPowered

Next

Return to The Broken Drum