Discworld Poll 1: Top 10 favourite Josh Kirby covers.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld Poll 1: Top 10 favourite Josh Kirby covers.

Postby UnseenTerryPratchett » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:17 pm

What are your top ten favourite Discworld book covers illustrated by the infamous Josh Kirby? Mine are as follows...

1. Pyramids
2. Sourcery
3. Interesting Times
4. The Colour of Magic
5. The Light Fantastic
6. Hogfather
7. Men At Arms
8. Guards! Guards!
9. Wyrd Sisters
10. Mort/Reaper Man
UnseenTerryPratchett
UnseenTerryPratchett

Re: Discworld Poll 1: Top 10 favourite Josh Kirby covers.

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 pm

oooh will need to check them out again and get back to you :D
spideyGirl

Postby =Tamar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:11 am

I don't actually like Josh Kirby covers, but since I realized that at least some of them are done with an Arcimboldo-like technique where, when you look at the cover as a whole, it's a picture of something else entirely, I began to appreciate them differently. The first one that I noticed that about is the one I appreciate most, so:
1. Feet of Clay
=Tamar

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:19 am

Not a fan. Despite the accusation elsewhere on here that it makes me superficial, they nearly put me off altogether! I only picked up the first one when someone left a copy at my house.

If Paul Kidby or Kemar had started doing them, I'd have been reading them sooner.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 am

Dotsie wrote:Not a fan. Despite the accusation elsewhere on here that it makes me superficial, they nearly put me off altogether! I only picked up the first one when someone left a copy at my house.

If Paul Kidby or Kemar had started doing them, I'd have been reading them sooner.

I agree Dotsie. The Kidby covers as well as the other artists such as Kemar give a much more proffesional look to the books whcih appeal to a wider audience . :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 am

Nope, I was never a fan of the Kirby covers. I only started to read the books because my brother insisted that I read Colour of Magic. I could never associate the characters on the covers with the ones in my head.

If I was actually forced to name my favourite, I guess it would be Small Gods. But I''m not that keen on it. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01 am

I always got the impression that Kirby worked off a brief description of the book while Kidby worked off the book itself
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Penfold » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm pretty much in Tony's camp on this subject except that I would choose Reaper Man. My favourite artist, however, would be Kemar and if he were to redo the whole UK series I would probably buy them again. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby MerlinPowered » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:34 am

For ebook readers, those whose collections aren't nearby, or those that can't be bothered: the book covers. I only own 3 paper backs, the rest of my collection are ebooks. My favourite of the three I own is Guards! Guards!

I agree with Tony, however, in that other artists capture the characters much closer to how I imagine them (eg. I really like these). Its a personal thing though.
MerlinPowered

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:19 am

Some interesting artwork there. :)
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 am

Is someone with ebooks allowed have an opinion on the beauty of cover art ;)
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby MerlinPowered » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 am

Is someone defiantly against e-Books allowed an opinion on a digital forum? :P Just joking. :)

I was actually going to post a thread about eBooks vs "the real thing". I have read your signature several times now, you seem to be completely against them.
MerlinPowered

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 am

MerlinPowered wrote:Is someone defiantly against e-Books allowed an opinion on a digital forum? :P Just joking. :)

I was actually going to post a thread about eBooks vs "the real thing". I have read your signature several times now, you seem to be completely against them.

It's more of a bit of good natured ribbing really. And it's a perennial topic that comes up on this site. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby MerlinPowered » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 am

Oh please let pip read it as a joke, it was meant to be. I even added a pokey outey tongue smiley!
MerlinPowered

Postby pip » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:44 am

MerlinPowered wrote:Is someone defiantly against e-Books allowed an opinion on a digital forum? :P Just joking. :)

We've had similar topics but its always interesting to get opinions. I've no real problem with people reading e books . I just love the phsical mform of a book and couldn't bring my self to betray millenia of knowledge :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Next

Return to Discworld novels